Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Jul 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1032406)   #1
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rallycross cars

Im not focusing more so on the Actual car itself rather the engine, in supermodified ( equivelent to irish modfied?) alot of guys seem to be sticking with twin side draft webbers and chucking away injection systems especialy if it is an more modern car where multipoint injection is OE.

I know we have been concidering the next step for my car, the plan as it was, was to chuck away the injection system and ecu's and all that and just go carbs. But on further digging deeper into engine aspirations we discovered that Injection was an better than carbs for an number of reasons

1. With carbs the engine can be fuel in-efficent
2. You limit the torque band to higher rpm
3. It can cost more than injection
4. You will get less torque

However i do agree that carbs give the engine an much nicer engine note than the injection systems which are are some what high pitched electronical noises and engine noise.

With an competition injection system you can have fuel efficency and an running adjustable torque band, with the mentioned system you could also help prevent engine detonation (using sensors at the top of each cylinder in the block the engine will sence an potential detination and will prevent high rpm or it will lower the rpm and turn off the engine before serious damage is done.

We are using an Nova B engine (1600 8v) (16se?) which would have the stronger piston rods etc, putting it on carbs would give us around 160/70 bhp at the pully, however putting it on the competition Omex 700 Injection system we can get upto 195bhp at the wheels the car would also have low down grunt to pull out of corners and with the adjustable torque band it would have full power all the way upto 8000rpm (limited to 7500rpm)

All the cars running in the irish modified class run carbs and might be the same for the british, why do you think they do seeing as Electronic Injection has come so far in competition engines??

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 19 Jul 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1040816)   #2
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Carbs can be more easily set up. Mapping an engine is easy to do but takes a lot of time and should really only be done with the engine out of the car due to the damage that a rolling road actually does (apparently)

I suppose, that, if you are changing cams etc depending on what track you are at, then the carbs would probably be the way to go due to the ability to chage the jets rather than re mapping it all...

The better systems all use knock sensors. They are constantly advancing the ignition until detonation occurs and then retards it a degree or two.

You could always go for the Roller Barrell throttle bodies

*disclaimer* I am not that clued up (if at all ) on engines but that all seems fairly logical to me.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1040822)   #3
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MoTeC has an nice datalogging system and Omex software will reprogram the ecu if you have an laptop with you within 10 mins

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..