Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Apr 2023, 16:59 (Ref:4150886)   #26
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me the main plus point was a real programme being available. Entries were poor and really historic, my guess the LMP3 cars will be doing ELMS races as well soon.
Old 9 Apr 2023, 17:25 (Ref:4150889)   #27
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised at the relatively small number of entries as well.
The Gentlemen Drivers in Masters and Sixties Endurance in PA are very popular . It seems touring cars and pre 66 GTs are the way to go.
The old story…at least for touring cars….competitors and spectators like the type of cars they grew up watching
Time moves on
Old 9 Apr 2023, 17:38 (Ref:4150890)   #28
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spent Friday watching from the Old Hairpin and Saturday wandering the infield with a camera. I knew the grid sizes beforehand so not too disappointed. The GT Masters didn't work for me, the Masters Endurance were good to see in two quallys on Friday but became boring in the races. HGPCA races and the Gentlemen drivers race on Friday evening were the highlights.

Will take more notice of timetable and grid sizes before commiting to attend this meeting, or other Masters events again.
Old 9 Apr 2023, 21:18 (Ref:4150900)   #29
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Will take more notice of timetable and grid sizes before committing to attend this meeting, or other Masters events again.
Sound counsel. Went Saturday; underwhelmed after the ra ra ra of the pre-event advertising. DHF has suffered similarly - and indeed HSCC for some categories.

Looks like I will have to get my historic fix at Spa or other continental circuits in future (they are probably cheaper than a weekend at GW if I avoid the Monaco Historique !)

Some snaps here - https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAz7SH
Old 10 Apr 2023, 06:45 (Ref:4150913)   #30
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I missed it this year as my fingers have been burned once too often at Donington Historic meetings. Enthused by pre - event PR, things take a familiar turn - I arrive to find a half empty paddock and invariably feel I have come on the wrong day. Post Simon Gillett , it has become an awful place to spectate, with the track bloody miles away at Redgate and Old Hairpin, compared to its early years. MSV are doing their best , but it is no Brands Hatch .
Old 10 Apr 2023, 09:06 (Ref:4150929)   #31
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Entries were poor and really historic, my guess the LMP3 cars will be doing ELMS races as well soon.
It is unlikely that the LMP3s will appear in the ELMS. The cars that are in the ELMS are of a newer specification. This creates the issue with some LMP3 cars (and also some GT3s) being obsolete for modern racing, but also not of a great age.
Old 10 Apr 2023, 09:17 (Ref:4150930)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But surely 'twas ever thus. I remember being at race meetings in the late 60s/early 70s when D Types and 250Fs abounded because they were just cheap old racing cars.

(OK maybe I exaggerated a bit for effect, but they were a common sight to tiny me, which definitely made me blasé about them)

In later years the ex-TWR Jaguars found their way onto the Castle Combe Special GT grid.

The Masters series is just rectifying the situation as Club racing goes ever more spec car. That a wealthy amateur is able to buy and run these red blooded racers is marvellous and preserves them for when they do in turn become "historic".

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Apr 2023, 10:00 (Ref:4150933)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The more fundamental point from this thread is that were it not for racers there wouldn't be any grids. (Not ignoring marshalls). I'm sure most of us want full grids but it is difficult with so many series vying for the same cars. Thus we chose the series that fits our pocket most. I'm with the HRDC at Donington end of this month. The entry fee for 45 mins of track time is relatively reasonable. So I suspect my season will be just three HRDC races all being well. Others who are more active than I, may be able to do more. But when we enter we have no idea of grid size.
Old 10 Apr 2023, 10:03 (Ref:4150934)   #34
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
But surely 'twas ever thus. I remember being at race meetings in the late 60s/early 70s when D Types and 250Fs abounded because they were just cheap old racing cars.
I completely agree. The thought struck me that some of the cars in the inaugural Griffiths Formula race (which launched the HSCC) were of a similar age to the LMP3s that were racing with Masters.
Old 10 Apr 2023, 12:48 (Ref:4150954)   #35
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post

Any way, here's my vid of the days action for any one who interested:

https://youtu.be/wAIv0wnnGTc
Cheers
Old 10 Apr 2023, 12:54 (Ref:4150955)   #36
brands
Veteran

A high rake Cortina

Sadly the lovely sounding BRM didn't reappear on Saturday but what a beautiful noise it was during Fridays running.

A few shots taken during Saturday :https://motorsportintheuk.co.uk/p757015323
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0043.jpg  
Old 10 Apr 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4150970)   #37
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks "geordiecriag101" for the video upload and also "Brands" for the pics. Much appreciated
Old 11 Apr 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4151136)   #38
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My gallery of images from Saturday's races...
https://chrisdickenphotos.weebly.com...ters-8423.html
Old 11 Apr 2023, 22:10 (Ref:4151148)   #39
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very disappointing Masters races last weekend with three of the grids only having single digit numbers on the Saturday. I see very little point in the new Masters GT Trophy and they should have been put in the same race as the Endurance Legends last weekend to pad that grid out. I'm still at a loss as to where all the competitors in the once thriving Sportscar Legends have gone.

Not having a 66-85 F1 race didn't do the meeting any favours with organisers citing not being able to get a guaranteed 10 cars yet they ran 2 races on Friday and 3 Sunday with less than 10 cars. The French having a Historic meeting at Paul Ricard with that period F1 cars certainly was a hinderance so why not run a open (Libre) race for pre 85 F1/F2/F5000 cars?
Old 13 Apr 2023, 22:13 (Ref:4151370)   #40
Peter H
Rookie

Peter H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Charles McCabe’s P25 BRM sounded fabulous and really strong on Friday. Something at the back end went I think.
Old 14 Apr 2023, 15:58 (Ref:4151464)   #41
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
I'm still at a loss as to where all the competitors in the once thriving Sportscar Legends have gone.
Most have gone to Peter Auto it looks like where you are guaranteed a big grid and lots of competition.
Old 15 Apr 2023, 13:21 (Ref:4151603)   #42
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Post Simon Gillett , it has become an awful place to spectate, with the track bloody miles away at Redgate and Old Hairpin, compared to its early years. MSV are doing their best , but it is no Brands Hatch .
We very nearly didn't have a circuit - there was a very real risk of it being bulldozed entirely and turned into site full of warehouses.
The changes that have moved things back have been as a response to some particularly bad accidents. It can't be made 100% safe, no circuit can, but it's a lot better now than it was when Gillett's digger adventure fell apart.

That said, it still amazes me that I no longer need to take bin bags on post with me. One very visible thing that MSV did was install bins. Everywhere!
Old 15 Apr 2023, 22:02 (Ref:4151670)   #43
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That said, it still amazes me that I no longer need to take bin bags on post with me. One very visible thing that MSV did was install bins. Everywhere!
And remove some old toilet blocks.

Mentioning sad accidents ... Christian's memorial tree seems to have been growing well in the last 2 or 3 years. It's very nearly 10 years now. (About 9 for the tree.)
Attached Thumbnails
1280_60pct_10-42-48_Masters Donington April 2023_20230407_ONED9340.jpg