Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Mar 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2849541)   #51
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been to the MSVR meeting today, my initial thoughts as a spectator are positive although some parts still need finishing off. It's good to see that they have resisted putting up high fencing as at Silverstone and parts of Brands Hatch. There are some good viewing and photography spots around most places on the circuit.

The paddock did seem very cramped for competitors though, as the new infield section has taken up a lot of space previously used as an overflow & camping area.

Also wouldn't the esses have been better named Brundle & Blundell?
Old 20 Mar 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2850205)   #52
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First impressions after Sat were good - all the spectators I spoke to had same opinions. OK its still a bit of building site but hopefully grass will soon start growing
Only grumble is with tannoy on the new spectator bank - with cars all around you difficult to hear commentory from the top - but view of start is excellent from top of the bank.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2850271)   #53
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
SPECTATORSAL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stood at Murrays (poor Jim Russell!) spectating yesterday &
today & much like a carnival, the 300 circuit seems to have (sadly) created a procession effect! Will, however, be interesting to see how the racing improves on the 200 circuit...
Old 20 Mar 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2850278)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Give it time Sal I am sure thats for several reasons not least the drivers may have been briefed as we were on a recent trackday to try their upmost to stay on track to give the place time to settle down in fact we were actually told if we did go off and churn up the infield we would be charged for the damage caused!!! Also I would imagine a lot of guys were being cautious on the unknown circuit.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2850283)   #55
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just back from the "New Snet"

All credit to JP for investing in the circuit, and even more credit for not putting up debris fencing everywhere, the enemy of every spectator and photographer!

Walked out to Palmers but ended up spending the day at Murrays, nice to get close to the track but have to say the predicted overtaking opportunities did not happen, in fact Murrays turned out to be a thoroughly boring corner.

In the last 6 races, (Lotus, BMW x2 , F3, Mono x 2) just 2 overtaking moves

Not an easy corner to cleanly overtake on and hold the position you have just gained.

Also the 300 circuit is too long for anything but fully subscribed grids, and safety car laps just wreck a race taking about 4 -5 minutes a lap.

Have a feeling that the track is great for drivers, but not convinced that it is going to make great racing without touring car tactics.

Time will tell.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2850288)   #56
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
For any of us point and squirt merchants the improved 200 will probably end up being favourite, we do 20 or 15 minute races irrespective of what length of circuit so it makes no difference that way.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2850292)   #57
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
restyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The place to be it would appear is the "Searpin", aka Montreal. Action aplenty over there all weekend. It will be possible to spectate there from July, all being well. I have to say the new circuit is great for me taking a few snaps. I love it.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2850299)   #58
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Fingers crossed for July then as that sounds promising! Obviously you can access some areas we can't at the moment...will keep watching this space to see what opens up when the grass has grown! It is early days yet & I am sure it will be great when we have more spectating opportunities, was just disappointed that Murrays wasn't more exciting! We need to see Stock Hatch & Touring Cars go round it me thinks! ; )

All the same, all credit to JP & his team on the work they have done in the time they had, shame motorway roadworks don't get completed as quickly!
Old 20 Mar 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2850302)   #59
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
more credit for not putting up debris fencing everywhere
Indeedy!! : )
Old 20 Mar 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2850303)   #60
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Give it time Sal I am sure thats for several reasons not least the drivers may have been briefed as we were on a recent trackday to try their upmost to stay on track to give the place time to settle down in fact we were actually told if we did go off and churn up the infield we would be charged for the damage caused!!! Also I would imagine a lot of guys were being cautious on the unknown circuit.
I will & I did wonder if that might have been the case! Had just hoped for more action...the sort of action that would have got the real Murray animated! ; )
Old 21 Mar 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2850417)   #61
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTATORSAL View Post
Fingers crossed for July then as that sounds promising! Obviously you can access some areas we can't at the moment...will keep watching this space to see what opens up when the grass has grown! It is early days yet & I am sure it will be great when we have more spectating opportunities, was just disappointed that Murrays wasn't more exciting! We need to see Stock Hatch & Touring Cars go round it me thinks! ; )
If you want to see more action, come on the 16/17th April to watch 40 of us Superkarts race round the new track! I absolutely cant wait to race there. At the Montreal hairpin, it's supposedly 12m wide in parts which means that about 10 superkarts can go side by side!
Old 21 Mar 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2850430)   #62
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
If you want to see more action, come on the 16/17th April to watch 40 of us Superkarts race round the new track! I absolutely cant wait to race there. At the Montreal hairpin, it's supposedly 12m wide in parts which means that about 10 superkarts can go side by side!
Sounds awesome...you're on! 8 )
Old 21 Mar 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2850446)   #63
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Sounds awesome...you're on! 8 )
Then again, have just realised that your meeting sadly clashes with about 5 other things!! Will it be televised? Hope so!!
Old 21 Mar 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2850468)   #64
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess overtaking may improve once the gound firms up a bit I think at the moment the drivers don't want to go wide for fear of running of the track and getting stuck.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2850495)   #65
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont think anyone will get stuck on the dust, probably more worried about having to pay for reseeding
Old 21 Mar 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2850537)   #66
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Motorsport Vision's website says "The first race weekend on the new Snetterton 300 circuit has drawn to a close with a dramatic Sunday with racing full of thrills and action, proving that the new layout has succeeded in promoting overtaking and incident aplenty".........they obviously weren't spectating from/referring to Murrays when they wrote that!!
Old 21 Mar 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2850550)   #67
James_S
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
James_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[they obviously weren't spectating from/referring to Murrays when they wrote that!![/QUOTE]

Did you not get chance to go over to the new bank overlooking the new infield section at all??.... there was plenty happening over there, especially the BMW's and Lotus races.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2850566)   #68
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
Did you not get chance to go over to the new bank overlooking the new infield section at all??.... there was plenty happening over there, especially the BMW's and Lotus races.
Did have a quick butchers but wanted to get a bit closer to the action + I thought Murrays would be as entertaining as the old Russell...sadly not...yet!! ; )
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2850613)   #69
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by restyles View Post
The place to be it would appear is the "Searpin", aka Montreal. Action aplenty over there all weekend. It will be possible to spectate there from July, all being well. I have to say the new circuit is great for me taking a few snaps. I love it.
Bloody BMW's
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2850631)   #70
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
Bloody BMW's
They're usually very entertaining! Bet the Minis will be good round Snett....; ))
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2850639)   #71
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They're usually very entertaining! Bet the Minis will be good round Snett....; ))
We were discussing on post what races would be more than a little *interresting* from post 4... we came up with BTCC, Clios, Stock Hatch (duck!), British F3 & GT
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2850642)   #72
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Russell is too hard to be an overtaking spot now. Even on your own, you are so busy keeping the car balanced as you go from part throttle, through no throttle to hard braking, and then changing direction to do anything else. Much easier to use Coram/Russell to set up a move in Riches.

As such, in the dry, I don't think you'll see much action at Russell. You might see the odd slide/spin as people lose the back end going from throttle to brake, but I doubt you'll even see much lapping of slower drivers, let alone passing for position in that corner.

Go to the infield. There are more passing places and tactics places in the new bit than in the whole of the old Snetterton.

Even on the 200 circuit, you'll be better of watching at Riches/Sear or the Brundle Esses rather than at Russell.

But from a driver's point of view, the new last corners are very challenging. No longer high-speed ballsy corners, but very tricky to master, and very easy to lose time in.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2850643)   #73
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
We were discussing on post what races would be more than a little *interresting* from post 4... we came up with BTCC, Clios, Stock Hatch (duck!), British F3 & GT
Sounds good...we thought Locosts & Caterhams would be good too!

Last edited by SPECTATORSAL; 21 Mar 2011 at 15:46.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2850726)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Russell is too hard to be an overtaking spot now. Even on your own, you are so busy keeping the car balanced as you go from part throttle, through no throttle to hard braking, and then changing direction to do anything else. Much easier to use Coram/Russell to set up a move in Riches.
Spot on. At the moment self preservation seems to be more important! Maybe when we get more confidence it will be better, so looking forward to another practice next week (hopefully- on reserve list!) and then a short 6hr race at end of April....

Old 21 Mar 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2850749)   #75
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
Come on Sal we (CTCRC) will be there at the same meeting you know you want to!