Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Nov 2023, 01:01 (Ref:4185405)   #1651
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The first truck I used when I was at LSU in 2003 was a 1992 F350 with dual fuel tanks that you had to manually switch on and off.
Like a Series 2 XJ6. Which I also need!
Old 11 Nov 2023, 01:02 (Ref:4185406)   #1652
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
They don't drive quite as big as they feel, course that may have been cause my other 2 trucks where International and GMC so it's relative. But they are a ***** to park. My Dad's 350 CC 8' box was great on the highway but she doesn't absorb the bumps well with the load suspension. But 2 pallet of stone didn't even notice in the bed
You could open the passenger door from the driver's seat in those, though.

Quote:
The first truck I used when I was at LSU in 2003 was a 1992 F350 with dual fuel tanks that you had to manually switch on and off.
Ford's were fancy because they had both fuel fillers on the same side of the truck. My 94 F150 had duel tanks that I loved.
Old 11 Nov 2023, 01:04 (Ref:4185407)   #1653
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Ford's were fancy because they had both fuel fillers on the same side of the truck. My 94 F150 had duel tanks that I loved.
On the same side! That makes no sense. Brilliant.
Old 11 Nov 2023, 01:08 (Ref:4185408)   #1654
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Like this?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-ford-f-150-25/
Old 11 Nov 2023, 06:18 (Ref:4185421)   #1655
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Almost exactly but a short bed. That is a 8th generation aka a "brick nose". The OBS = "old body style" is the 9th gen. With exception for the nose, they are the exactly the same as a 1978 F-series, aka a "dent side". Here was mine:

Given the storage space, I would still own that truck. One of my favorite vehicles ever.
Old 11 Nov 2023, 06:37 (Ref:4185425)   #1656
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Not to be confused with a Chevy OBS which ran from 1988-1998. I'm such a dork, and my dad worked for GM, but I had a poster of this blue stepside on my wall as a kid. I think it's hard to explain to people in other parts of the world, but if you can afford to run a truck here in the US, it's hard to imagine daily driving anything else. Putting the massive inefficiencies aside, they are otherwise perfect.

Old 11 Nov 2023, 12:37 (Ref:4185448)   #1657
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not everyday you see a Porsche 928 ute (=utility, what we call a pick up)

Also an old F100 is great (restored) condition.

Never seen an Audi eTronic GT in the flesh either.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4375.jpeg   IMG_4374.jpeg   IMG_4380.jpeg  

Old 11 Nov 2023, 13:42 (Ref:4185452)   #1658
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Almost exactly but a short bed. That is a 8th generation aka a "brick nose". The OBS = "old body style" is the 9th gen. With exception for the nose, they are the exactly the same as a 1978 F-series, aka a "dent side". Here was mine:

Given the storage space, I would still own that truck. One of my favorite vehicles ever.
Quote:
Not to be confused with a Chevy OBS which ran from 1988-1998. I'm such a dork, and my dad worked for GM, but I had a poster of this blue stepside on my wall as a kid. I think it's hard to explain to people in other parts of the world, but if you can afford to run a truck here in the US, it's hard to imagine daily driving anything else. Putting the massive inefficiencies aside, they are otherwise perfect.

I think I want a short bed one more.

If I got one I’d have to chose either a Ford or Chevy. Would it kick off like a Aussie Supercars thread between you two?

The Ford is winning purely because of the two fillers.
Old 11 Nov 2023, 13:50 (Ref:4185454)   #1659
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Ute!
I think that is what Stuttgart meant to do, but just didn’t know it.
Quote:

Quote:
Needs a pickup version.

It scares me how good this car is. Obviously the speed, but mainly the grip and ride. One doesn’t seem to compromise the other.
Old 12 Nov 2023, 02:46 (Ref:4185518)   #1660
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I think I want a short bed one more.

If I got one I’d have to chose either a Ford or Chevy. Would it kick off like a Aussie Supercars thread between you two?

The Ford is winning purely because of the two fillers.
I forgot how good my Ford was until I looked up that picture. It had shotgun glasspacks out the back and sounded awesome. Blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub

Yeah, everyone wants a short bed! They just look right. I'm quite partial to a Dodge, as you know, so I like the first gen Rams too. Give me a mid-80s Ramcharger with a small block Mopar... shoo buddy. I grew up with a 72 International Harvester, it was the first car I ever drove. I just like trucks.
Old 12 Nov 2023, 03:56 (Ref:4185530)   #1661
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A friend was in town. Long story short, I drove his rental. It's an absurd vehicle
Old 13 Nov 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4185721)   #1662
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
More absurd is the french Army version, called Peugeot P4. Based on the Merc (Steyr transmission components) and fitted with a totally asthmatic NA Pug diesel engine. Not absurd, pathetic!
Old 13 Nov 2023, 18:04 (Ref:4185729)   #1663
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No way that goes for anything close to the current $2,500 bid!

Quote:

I always get nostalgic when I see a picture of my old cars too.

Quote:

The ford and Porsche are great!
Old 14 Nov 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4185874)   #1664
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
XKR convertible in it's natural habitat
Old 14 Nov 2023, 17:57 (Ref:4185875)   #1665
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just taking a breather.
Old 14 Nov 2023, 19:57 (Ref:4185894)   #1666
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Cant see what is written in your mirror this time, broad. Something like "Caution, Jags in the mirror are more damaged thant they appear" may be…
Old 14 Nov 2023, 21:59 (Ref:4185914)   #1667
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Older lady just sitting in it on her phone not even slightly annoyed with same Jag different day look.
Old 16 Nov 2023, 21:44 (Ref:4186148)   #1668
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
XKR convertible in it's natural habitat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just taking a breather.
Old 17 Nov 2023, 00:56 (Ref:4186154)   #1669
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
No way that goes for anything close to the current $2,500 bid!

The ford and Porsche are great!

$12,750. That seems like a bargain.
Old 17 Nov 2023, 01:25 (Ref:4186157)   #1670
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ute!
I think that is what Stuttgart meant to do, but just didn’t know it.

A bit late but just a bit of useless info that tells the story of the (name) "Ute".
It stems back to the early 1930's in Aus when a Farmer's wife wrote to Ford saying she wanted a 'Utility Vehicle' she could use to go to Church on Sunday and then take the. pigs to market on Monday.

In response shortly after, Ford introduced what it called the Ford Utility Coupe. Given the Aussie habit of abbreviating everything the Coupe label got lost and it soon became simply the "Ute" and the category was born. Aussie Utes differed from traditional (US) pick ups by the rear tray area being incorporated with the cab, not as in the US where the rear tray was / is a separate part to the cab.

By the same token a guy with a good looking Ute would be told 'thats a beaut ute mate'

The first (c1934) Ford Utility Coupe:

Old 17 Nov 2023, 02:37 (Ref:4186163)   #1671
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Oh, forgot to mention but the General Manager of Ford Aus at the time, a Mr Hubert French, told the Aus ABC many years later (in 1987!) a few stories of the time. (Sadly he was killed in a car crash driving home from the interview.)

One such tale tells of how back in the development days of the Coupe Utility they (French and 22yo designer Lew Bandt,) took two early prototypes to America to show Henry Ford their innovation.

Quote:
"The great industrialist was dismissive. He described it as a 'kangaroo chaser,'"

In Australia, the Ford V8 side-valve, 75 horsepower, coupe ute, was launched that year, was an instant success. General Motors Aus (Holden) produced its version of the ute soon after.

The ute soon became an everyday sight in rural Australia.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-...irth/100855458. (An interesting short article if you are into car history stuff)

Last edited by E.B; 17 Nov 2023 at 02:43.
Old 17 Nov 2023, 09:52 (Ref:4186193)   #1672
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Oh, forgot to mention but the General Manager of Ford Aus at the time, a Mr Hubert French, told the Aus ABC many years later (in 1987!) a few stories of the time. (Sadly he was killed in a car crash driving home from the interview.)
Strange destiny. Was the doctor-coupé a Ford innovation? https://www.guide-automobiles-ancien...cteur-2252.htm A very well designed model imo.
Old 17 Nov 2023, 20:22 (Ref:4186288)   #1673
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
E.B, talking about transformations did the aus Simca made this? https://petrolblog.com/articles/what...t-matra-rancho
First french SUV ever https://www.motorlegend.com/histoire...8109,8049.html Industrial DiY…
Old 18 Nov 2023, 02:18 (Ref:4186316)   #1674
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
E.B, talking about transformations did the aus Simca made this? https://petrolblog.com/articles/what...t-matra-rancho
First french SUV ever https://www.motorlegend.com/histoire...8109,8049.html Industrial DiY…
No Gerry the Rancho was never manufactured by Simca Aus although a few were imported direct. We still have a Simca Car Club here and as you know I have a friend who races a Vedette still in HTC.

The Aronde and Vedette were produced and sold locally but the Simca 1100 never made it onto the Australian market. 1962 saw the end of the Vedette in Australia with Chrysler Aus opting to develop the American based Valiant range. 2 years later that Chrysler dropped the Simca brand completely here and sourced its small cars from the UK Rootes Group with the introduction of Hillmans and Humbers.

Simca Australia did design and produce one unique car locally though... the Aronde 4 door P60 Estate car / Wagon. It boasted a 'sleeping' area well over 9ft long which was (apparently) larger than the American Falcon wagon of the day. The front bench seat folded flat as well and combined flat with the rear seats to give a mostly cushioned falt space from dashboard to tailgate. Quite clever Pics of the layount and the story of it is in the first Simca Car Club Mag here:.Page 7 https://www.simcacarclubaus.org/_fil...0e5e050f61.pdf

This Ranchero is as good condition as whn new and still in use here. Ordered in France early 1980 for delivery to Sydney and was owned by the same family until into the 2000s. It has since been refurbished to this as new condition.

Last edited by E.B; 18 Nov 2023 at 02:39.
Old 18 Nov 2023, 13:40 (Ref:4186346)   #1675
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
E.B. Nice Ute info. I will be careful what I call a Ute from now on.