Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jun 2022, 11:07 (Ref:4116808)   #3101
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Can't see much wrong with that calendar, apart from missing Imola and Portugal. And I would keep Hungary too, as it's got better with age. But you've got my ideal number of 19 there
For every claim that some middle east circuits should be dropped because of political matters, I rarely see complaints about Hungary?
Old 24 Jun 2022, 12:38 (Ref:4116810)   #3102
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There have been complaints about Hungary, which is why I applaud Vettel for the stand he took last year
Old 24 Jun 2022, 12:48 (Ref:4116814)   #3103
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There have been complaints about Hungary, which is why I applaud Vettel for the stand he took last year
I prime circuit for boycotting then, rather than advocate for inclusion on any calendar?

I just think if we're going to hold some countries against certain standards, they all should be?
Old 24 Jun 2022, 13:22 (Ref:4116817)   #3104
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Hungaroring gets great crowds, but races are very boring.
Old 24 Jun 2022, 14:39 (Ref:4116821)   #3105
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I prime circuit for boycotting then, rather than advocate for inclusion on any calendar?

I just think if we're going to hold some countries against certain standards, they all should be?

I’m not happy with the LGBT laws they have there, but that is small beer compared to the human right violations they have in certain Middle East countries and Russia. That’s my view. Also it gets good crowds and is not state funded like other regimes do
Old 24 Jun 2022, 15:37 (Ref:4116829)   #3106
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I’m not happy with the LGBT laws they have there, but that is small beer compared to the human right violations they have in certain Middle East countries and Russia. That’s my view. Also it gets good crowds and is not state funded like other regimes do
I would recommend a bit more research before you form your final opinion.

A) - LGBT rights violations are 'small beer' compared to other human rights violations? In 2022, during Pride Month - wow!

B) - Human Rights violations in general in Hungary:
  • The government is still reluctant to ratify the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (Istanbul Convention) that it signed in 2014, alleging that the convention promoted “gender ideology” and “illegal migration”
  • Children from Roma families living in poverty continue to be separated from their families and placed in long-term state care, even though this practice is forbidden by the Hungarian Child Protection Act.
  • More than 300 Hungarian nationals were identified as possible targets for the Pegasus spyware produced by surveillance technology firm NSO Group. Media groups identified the Hungarian authorities as a potential client of the company. Experts from Amnesty International were able to confirm, through technical evidence, several cases where the spyware was successfully installed on phones, some of them belonging to journalists. The Hungarian National Security Services Act remained in violation of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, according to a European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) judgment in the case of Szabó and Vissy v. Hungary in 2016.

C) - You link Russia. Have you noticed that Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky have been engaged in a war of words since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine? After Orban's latest election win - "The Kremlin says Mr Putin expressed confidence that the two countries could develop further ties "despite the difficult international situation". In his victory speech, Mr Orban criticised Brussels bureaucrats and Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky, calling them "opponents"."

D) - State funded. "The Hungarian government will be covering the cost of hosting Formula 1 races at the Hungaroring from 2017 to 2026. The government will be paying USD 37.4 million in 2017 to host the race. The annual payment will increase by 5 percent year-on-year until 2026. This means that from now until then, the government will be paying more than half a billion dollars so that Hungary can run a grand prix."

Hungary is a country with an atrocious human rights record, adopts homophobic and transphobic laws, has close links to Russia, is considered an ally of Putin, and uses state funds to host their GP.
Old 27 Jun 2022, 15:16 (Ref:4117212)   #3107
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as fans we are in an impossible position.
Old 27 Jun 2022, 16:15 (Ref:4117234)   #3108
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
as fans we are in an impossible position.
Agreed.
The easy option is to ignore the issues in ALL countries that F1 races in.
The problem is that wr choose to ignore some, based on ignorance. (Don't mean that last part to sound insulting).
Old 27 Jun 2022, 19:57 (Ref:4117270)   #3109
S griffin
Veteran

The problem is some countries are worse than others. Hungary used to be a free country, now it’s only partly free, so it’s right that the diabolical laws that have been introduced in recent years are called out. However some like those in the Middle East aren’t free at all and therefore should be avoided like the plague, instead of being used as Sportswashing

By the way, there is nothing wrong with ignorance, as people too often equate it with stupidity, when it’s not. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge and stupidity is lack of intelligence. However those who refuse to accept their ignorance are the problem, like those that reject science for example
Old 28 Jun 2022, 02:50 (Ref:4117286)   #3110
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What do you think will happen? It seems that you could fill the calendar with 30+ races at the moment but i dont think teams would want 30+ races. Come to think of it, i dont think I want 30+ races either. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.

Sadly im certain we will lose some of the "older" circuits to new street circuits, not my cup of tea but its not my money invested in the sport and im not the target audience of F1 anymore.
Old 8 Aug 2022, 19:20 (Ref:4122251)   #3111
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Thanksgiving weekend is taken by college football rivalries. The previous weekend is much better.
It seems that I was right

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...rand-Prix.aspx
Old 8 Aug 2022, 20:43 (Ref:4122262)   #3112
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I wonder if the Raiders are at home that Sunday? It will be a while before the 2023-'24 NFL season schedule is announced.

This Motorsport article is hinting at Las Vegas being a regular penultimate round of the season, with F1 wishing to end its schedule on the final weekend of November in Abu Dhabi.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...habi/10350323/
Old 8 Aug 2022, 21:02 (Ref:4122263)   #3113
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This really puts the FIA's and Liberty's claim to be "going green" to absolute shame. They are increasing the amount of global flights criss-crossing the world that the teams will be required to have which hugely ramps up the amount of international flights that the circus have to take, burning yet more fossil fuel, and producing more harmful, so we are told, fumes into the atmosphere.

And all, seemingly, to boost Liberty's profits, no doubt. Or at least recoup what they must have paid Mr Ecclestone for the privilege of promoting F1.
Old 8 Aug 2022, 22:25 (Ref:4122269)   #3114
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I wonder if the Raiders are at home that Sunday? It will be a while before the 2023-'24 NFL season schedule is announced.

This Motorsport article is hinting at Las Vegas being a regular penultimate round of the season, with F1 wishing to end its schedule on the final weekend of November in Abu Dhabi.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/l...habi/10350323/
Liberty can easily ask the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce to have the Raiders away, and not to have big boxing events at the T-Mobile.
Old 8 Aug 2022, 23:12 (Ref:4122271)   #3115
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Liberty can easily ask the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce to have the Raiders away, and not to have big boxing events at the T-Mobile.
I'm not even sure where to start with that. The NFL ain't gonna give a rats ass about the F1 schedule. The chamber of commerce has NOTHING to do with NFL scheduling at all, they need to complete the 22 season before anyone would know what the 23 schedule would even start to look like, games against over divisions based on record.

Go ask F1 how well it went with trying to get Texas to move a football game, they did not at all want to hear it. I believe Liberty was told here's our schedule, pick a weekend son
Old 9 Aug 2022, 05:55 (Ref:4122277)   #3116
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
You're right - they can ask.

But when it comes to a PPV boxing event, they wouldn't give two hoots what the whiny car people are asking for. If a boxing promoter is planning on that weekend, then that weekend it will be. F1's issue would be insignificant.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 08:09 (Ref:4122289)   #3117
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
We have far too many races already, 15 is about enough. F1 heads to at least six dubious countries as it is, even before you included the USA. God know how much fuel is spent moving the circus around the world.
Do the drivers, teams and personnel want to be away for months at a time? Already we see even the TV commentary crews are alternating their teams to give time off and that will spread. Liberty are diluting the product which will catch them out in time. We only need one event in the USA for a start, they hav eenough high profile series of their own.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 08:16 (Ref:4122290)   #3118
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
F1 heads to at least six dubious countries as it is, even before you included the USA.
True - as soon as we can drop those six (assuming you mean Spain, Monaco, Austria, Hungary, Belgium and Netherlands) then F1 will be in a better place.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:21 (Ref:4122328)   #3119
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Liberty has agreements with the casinos, which in turn own the entertainment venues.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:27 (Ref:4122329)   #3120
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Liberty has agreements with the casinos, which in turn own the entertainment venues.

Hotels, casinos will have deals for Raider's games.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:33 (Ref:4122331)   #3121
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Hotels, casinos will have deals for Raider's games.
And I note that Raiders have an extra home fixture in 2023 (and 2025, 2027 etc).

Liberty's Letter of Intent is exactly that - Intent. Nothing is confirmed as a result of it.

Now when it comes down to it, there is every chance it will be on the weekend before thanksgiving. But if NFL, or Top Rank schedule that weekend, F1 will find itself moving....
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:43 (Ref:4122334)   #3122
S griffin
Veteran

I do wonder if Vegas will be able to cope with the F1 race. I often wondered why we needed the race anyway. There are too many GPs on the calendar as it is

Considering the sports that go on around November it will be tough to fit it in. So that's the big question mark over it
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:53 (Ref:4122342)   #3123
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
And I note that Raiders have an extra home fixture in 2023 (and 2025, 2027 etc).

Liberty's Letter of Intent is exactly that - Intent. Nothing is confirmed as a result of it.

Now when it comes down to it, there is every chance it will be on the weekend before thanksgiving. But if NFL, or Top Rank schedule that weekend, F1 will find itself moving....

The 2023-'24 season hasn't been announced yet, though the Raiders had an extra pre-season game, for the coming 2022-'23 season against Jacksonville, which was the Hall of Fame Game.

I don't think F1 want's to be racing at Vegas during the Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 15:13 (Ref:4122345)   #3124
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The 2023-'24 season hasn't been announced yet, though the Raiders had an extra pre-season game, for the coming 2022-'23 season against Jacksonville, which was the Hall of Fame Game.
I understand that - but there is some predictability though.

A bit OT for this thread, but we do know the following regarding the 2023 Raiders schedule:

Nine home @Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, NV
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
AFC North
NFC East

Eight on the road @
Chicago Bears
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
Miami Dolphins
AFC South
Buffalo Bills

It was this that was behind my 'extra home fixture' comment. The AFC teams host the '17th' fixture in odd seasons, NFC in the evens.
Old 9 Aug 2022, 15:39 (Ref:4122347)   #3125
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I understand that - but there is some predictability though.

A bit OT for this thread, but we do know the following regarding the 2023 Raiders schedule:

Nine home @Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, NV
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
AFC North
NFC East

Eight on the road @
Chicago Bears
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
Miami Dolphins
AFC South
Buffalo Bills

It was this that was behind my 'extra home fixture' comment. The AFC teams host the '17th' fixture in odd seasons, NFC in the evens.

The 2023-'24 games have yet to be confirmed, along with dates but what can be guaranteed are the Raiders games against the other teams in their division, as they play each other twice, once at home and again on the road.