Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 May 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1603543)   #151
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After dropping my scanner on the concrete around the box at Cascades, Oulton Park, on the Monday of the F3GT meeting, touchwood, Dave has now fixed it.
Old 8 May 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1603717)   #152
r.arthur
Racer

United Kingdom
bristol
r.arthur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are bargains on ebay but a lot of one to watch out. seen quite a few manual ones etc. dont know about performance
Old 18 May 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1613252)   #153
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Scanners

hi guys...its my mums 50th on monday and wanted to get her a scanner...anyone got any suggestions to which one. also what frequencies do donington and oulton use..(may be better to pm me those) any advice appreciated

thanks in advance

adam
Old 18 May 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1613280)   #154
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81649
Old 18 May 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1613539)   #155
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk
hi guys...its my mums 50th on monday and wanted to get her a scanner...anyone got any suggestions to which one. also what frequencies do donington and oulton use..(may be better to pm me those) any advice appreciated

thanks in advance

adam
You're going to be in trouble if either your Mum reads this or from the comments she will probably get next time she goes to Oulton about the impending big day.

Also please wish her happy birthday from me.
Old 25 May 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1618789)   #156
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as a result of something that happened @ Silverstone last Sunday, can i please, please ask, that you do not react to what you heard.
We had a chap put out a ed flag on the National Circuit, when the call on his scanner was fo the Stowe circuit! The give away was we were having our 30 minute Church Break @ the time!
Ho Ho.
Please only put a red flag out if you see it from a flag point or as at Silverstone, from the red lights.
I thank you.
Old 25 May 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1618863)   #157
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Refer to http://www.flag-marshal.org.uk for guidancve on red flags! I was not aware of this occurence, but was observing at Brooklands. was this when the instructor twatted the Lotus with a customer in it? Was this in any way related to the Air Ambulance that appeared later on?
Old 25 May 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1618899)   #158
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
frequencies

Just bought myself a Maycom Ar108, which was recommended by many.
What are the frequencies I might find useful? In particular Castle Combe?
I've seen elsewhere that 169.3375MHz is used alot but I can't get that into my scanner!
Help?
Old 25 May 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1618925)   #159
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The nearest frequency my scanner will accept is 169.335 for Combe
Old 26 May 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1619237)   #160
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch
I've seen elsewhere that 169.3375MHz is used alot but I can't get that into my scanner!
That's because you've got the tuning step at its default setting. Change 'step' to 0.125 & you'll be able to tune to 169.3375.

To set 'step':

1 Press ST/LOCK. Display will show current step setting.
2. Press 'up' or 'down' key to change step to required value (.0125 to set standard MSA frequency)
3 Press ST/LOCK
Old 26 May 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1619258)   #161
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
aha! done.
thanks very much.
Old 26 May 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1619282)   #162
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
We had a chap put out a ed flag on the National Circuit, when the call on his scanner was fo the Stowe circuit! The give away was we were having our 30 minute Church Break @ the time!
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Please only put a red flag out if you see it from a flag point or as at Silverstone, from the red lights.
Red lights at Brands as well....
Old 26 May 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1619298)   #163
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Red Lights

And at Bailey/Warwick Bridge at Oulton.
Old 26 May 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1619391)   #164
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
I think we all agree on one thing:
Scanners are not for orders, just 'overheard' information. No-one should react to what they hear on scanners but only to the standard proceedures - lights or flags.
Nuff Said me thinks!
Old 26 May 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1619635)   #165
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman
Refer to http://www.flag-marshal.org.uk for guidancve on red flags! I was not aware of this occurence, but was observing at Brooklands. was this when the instructor twatted the Lotus with a customer in it? Was this in any way related to the Air Ambulance that appeared later on?
Yes & Yes
Old 3 Aug 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1672209)   #166
Beeny-like
Rookie

England
Wheatley, Oxfordshire
Beeny-like should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanner advice for a relative newbie?

I am toying with the idea of obtaining a radio scanner for selective and permisssabe use whilst marshalling at Silverstone (I know that not all IOs think they're ok & I'm perfectly cool with that).

The main reason is that a couple of times recenlty I've been posted fairly remotely from an IO (basically because we've not have enough volunteers and have, therefore, been 'spread too thinly'*). Lack of communicaton with the IO combined with often not being within earshot of the PA system means that I sometimes really don't have a clue what's going on!

Anyway, enough explanation ... can anyone recommend an inexpensive but effective hand-held scanner?

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Donna

*an after thought ... is it really possible for BRDC marshals (of which I'm one) to be 'spread too thinly'? ... we're not the thinnest bunch out there, are we?
Old 3 Aug 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1672237)   #167
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Donna, I agree, Scanner are becoming almost essential, I'd be lost with out mine!
Don't act upon what you hear (unless it's 'release the cars'!) It really does help to know whats going on around the track, plus you'll find that so many circuits no longer mind them that you will get a thankyou at the end of the day over them!

Right, back to the question, I have this one, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maycom-AR108-A...QQcmdZViewItem
Nice and small and really good, fits in the top pocket a treat!
And one of these (I'm sure its the right one, but don't quote me!)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=10040&doy=3m8
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1672252)   #168
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most final instructions have actually removed the 'no scanners' bit, and just say 'no cameras or mobiles' on post.
I have discussed it with chief marshal/clerk types and they agree that as long as you have the control not to act on it and be careful what you discuss about what you hear, especially when Joe Public can hear, they are a good tool. It's great to tell your observer that race control are trying to call him when he has not heard it on his radio but you heard it on your scanner!

I have an Icom IC-R2 which is adequate for most circuits. It is a nice small size, not like a brick like most of them. My husband bought it from ebay for my 30th birthday. Best pressie I've ever got! I just had a quick look and there are plenty on there, they go up to an R5 now. The frequencies go up in incraments, not the exact numbers but I can hear most raidos on it, depending on the landscape. It was easy to set up.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1672271)   #169
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
I'll second CombeMarshal's recommendation of the Maycom AR-108. You can improve it's performance on the frequencies used at circuits even further by using an Icom FA-S57V antenna (costs around £15) - that antenna will also markedly improve the performance of an Icom IC-R2.

Scanners are no longer frowned on to the extent they used to be - on a couple of occasions recently I've heard, & acted on, messages from race control along the lines of 'if there's anybody on post 'x' with a scanner, will they please ask the observer to phone race control'.

By the way, Susie, if you change the tuning step to 6.25 (I think!) you'll be able to tune to the exact frequency - see page 7 of the manual.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1672328)   #170
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
By the way, Susie, if you change the tuning step to 6.25 (I think!) you'll be able to tune to the exact frequency - see page 7 of the manual.
Cheers Dave. And I had sat down and read the manual too.
I didn't understand what that bit meant, I'll sit down with it again. It works ok as is but I just miss bits like CMO and certain posts.

When do you reckon they will go fully the other way and publish the frequency in our finals?
Old 3 Aug 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1672374)   #171
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
CombeMarshal's recommendation of the Maycom AR-108 is spot on i use this scanner never miss a thing nowand it me cost £59 from maplins.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1672415)   #172
j_hampton2000
Rookie

j_hampton2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donna, I can also recommend the Icom R2, the Icom R5 and the Uniden-Bearcat UBC-72XLT. It depends on what budget you have and what you will use your scanner for, but if you go for the Maycom, it will limit you to VHF and Airband listening. You're unlikely to get a cheaper scanner than the Maycom, other than a rubbish analogue tuning one. The R2 and R5 cover almost every frequency you'd possibly want to listen to and are excellent quality radios.

I've a decent list of frequencies for Silverstone if you would like them.

Jim
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1672457)   #173
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I've been using a Uniden SC230 for the past 3 years which I had imported from the USA.

It has the added extra of close call (more Uniden radios now feature this), meaning it will scan & display transmissions within close range of where you are, allowing you to trace other frequencies in use, like team radio, etc. Great, especially if you spectate as well as marshal.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1672462)   #174
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have just bagged a maycom Ar 108 on Ebay, for £47 delivered. Worth having a look on there as there were a few people selling this particular model. Now all I have to do is find some space in my bag for it....
Old 3 Aug 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1672657)   #175
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstubbs
Have just bagged a maycom Ar 108 on Ebay, for £47 delivered. Worth having a look on there as there were a few people selling this particular model. Now all I have to do is find some space in my bag for it....
you aint redheadmarshal per chance are you?