Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3897975)   #76
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
With all this talk about pole position not being the best place to start the race, do we think that Lewis deliberately sandbagged in qualifying so he would start on the stickier side?
Old 16 Apr 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3897978)   #77
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
With all this talk about pole position not being the best place to start the race, do we think that Lewis deliberately sandbagged in qualifying so he would start on the stickier side?
Interesting thought but given the margins looks unlikely, maybe Lewis is the guy who could judge it so finely but, really???, methinks you jest
Old 16 Apr 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3897980)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It’s always possible! The suggestion from C4 commentary was that the extra rubber was from previous support races, so more ammunition for a conspiracy theory.....

As for why pole man can’t chose which side he wants, my understanding is that the grid layout always has pole on the inside, but not sure without research if that’s related to the first corner or whether the circuit is driven clockwise or anti-clockwise.....
Old 16 Apr 2019, 13:17 (Ref:3897985)   #79
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To the best of my recollection, pole has always been on the inside position regardless of whether clockwise or not.

However, something in the back of my mind tells me that, sometime in the not too distant past, the drivers of a particular major race (probably F1) persuaded the Race Director/CoC at the drivers' briefing, held before practice/qualifying, to change pole to the outside as that side had always proved to give an advantage at that circuit.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3897987)   #80
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The formation of the grid may be changing soon...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...95024/1386318/
Old 16 Apr 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3898009)   #81
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
im a big fan of LH but if he had done that intentionally then he would have been talking it big time.

and so should he as that would have been a brilliant piece of tactical driving.
Old 16 Apr 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3898012)   #82
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Old 16 Apr 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3898019)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it’s a shame this race was a bit of a damp squib
Old 16 Apr 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3898058)   #84
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I must admit, socially I am not an LH fan, but I was at Magny Cour, must have been year 2000 plus for a Grand Prix. LH started last in what must have been an F2 or F3 race and "did" the lot. Won it and overtook everyone. I said then.."A kid with a future". I was hugely impressed!
Yes..in great machinery he can do the Business.
As has been said over the generations.. put him in a Minardi/Arrows/Torro Rosso.
How would he end up?
I enjoy watching his up front racing action. But, if he is 3rd/4th/5th..he gives up. Winges and bloody moans..
But then, I think most "winners" do. Fine when out front, and the man has huge talent.. but so would Leclerc/Hulkenberg/Verstappen etc if you stuck them in a Mercedes..
Old 16 Apr 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3898059)   #85
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
To the best of my recollection, pole has always been on the inside position regardless of whether clockwise or not.

However, something in the back of my mind tells me that, sometime in the not too distant past, the drivers of a particular major race (probably F1) persuaded the Race Director/CoC at the drivers' briefing, held before practice/qualifying, to change pole to the outside as that side had always proved to give an advantage at that circuit.
Be great wouldn't it if a driver got pole and then said, "yes, Ill start in 3rd place please not pole..".............. and won the GP..
Old 16 Apr 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3898084)   #86
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Deej, I take your point and agree except I do think he grew up in 2018. He didn't need to get into his team mates face so was much more relaxed. I'm hoping Bottas will provide a decent challenge this year so we can see him handling things in an adult manner. I won't mind if he wins as long as he keeps being sensible.
Old 17 Apr 2019, 01:19 (Ref:3898133)   #87
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Perhaps they could pick up a telephone and speak to Sir Jackie Stewart, he would be able to tell them why 3 abreast grid formations were discontinued, no simulation necessary!
Also bear in mind that the older cars were not as aero sensitive as the modern cars.

What could possibly go wrong?
Old 17 Apr 2019, 03:52 (Ref:3898138)   #88
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

How is this going? I remember it being suggested ages ago (that article is over a year old).
Old 17 Apr 2019, 04:16 (Ref:3898139)   #89
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
How is this going? I remember it being suggested ages ago (that article is over a year old).
Linked to changes to qualifying and how the grid is contested, I know the more recently proposed 'Q4 for 2020' ( four drivers eliminated in Q1, Q2 and Q3, leaving eight to compete for pole position in a 10-minute shoot-out at the end) is likely to be rejected as the teams have universally voted against it. (9/10 teams rejected it)

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/16/...o-be-rejected/
Old 17 Apr 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3898149)   #90
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Jan 19 update - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-bespoke-sim-trial-grid-changes/4323615/amp/
Old 17 Apr 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3898169)   #91
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
As has been said over the generations.. put him in a Minardi/Arrows/Torro Rosso.
How would he end up?
Significantly better than most, I'd guess..... It's all to easy to put him down with the typical 'he's in the best car, what do you expect?' comments that we've heard about most great champions over goodness knows how many years, but I still believe that on an equal day in equal machinery, he would beat most of the current crop.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3898462)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he would do alright, but won’t set fireworks. He’s doing well because he has the best and won’t set the world on fire in a mid distance car, but might do a little better than expected
Old 19 Apr 2019, 11:05 (Ref:3898560)   #93
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well he would do alright, but won’t set fireworks. He’s doing well because he has the best and won’t set the world on fire in a mid distance car, but might do a little better than expected
I have to say, I find that comment close to absurd. I'm going to have to ask you to justify that..... Tell me who would be beating him? So who would be setting the fireworks, in your view?
Old 19 Apr 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3898564)   #94
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I have to say, I find that comment close to absurd. I'm going to have to ask you to justify that..... Tell me who would be beating him? So who would be setting the fireworks, in your view?
Mark Webber, but only in a Renault...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Apr 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3898565)   #95
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Might do a little better than who expects? Not yourself apparently as you seem to think he would do worse than most expect.
Old 19 Apr 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3898569)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

Well it's the classic how long is a piece of string? He wouldn't start winning races, but it would help reassess drivers in the midfield by his performance
Old 19 Apr 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3898574)   #97
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But your comment suggested that in a lesser car he would be pretty average.... That's how I read it? I don't think anyone would necessarily suggest he would start winning races in a current Toro Rosso or a Renault, I was merely postulating that he would show his undoubted ability in a lesser car. So if his performance would allow a reassessment of the midfield drivers, that suggests that you don't think he'd be fairly average then?
Old 19 Apr 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3898585)   #98
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think this is a difficult discussion. I am not sure if everyone has the same understanding as to what success would be. Does the driver outpace his teammate (success?) or does the driver race through the field and outpace everyone (success?)

IMHO the main issue with midfield and lower cars is not the drivers, but the cars and teams themselves. So dropping a proven top level driver into a midfield team is likely to show "something", but they are not going to drive through the field.

Another issue is that drivers like Lewis, while being able to drive around car issues, may initially be frustrated with car limitations. So assuming they are not eventually crushed from a frustration perspective (why am I in this bad of a car?) and given some time to adapt to the native limitations of a given car/team, I expect they would shine (within reason).

Richard
Old 19 Apr 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3898587)   #99
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think this is a difficult discussion. I am not sure if everyone has the same understanding as to what success would be. Does the driver outpace his teammate (success?) or does the driver race through the field and outpace everyone (success?)

IMHO the main issue with midfield and lower cars is not the drivers, but the cars and teams themselves. So dropping a proven top level driver into a midfield team is likely to show "something", but they are not going to drive through the field.

Another issue is that drivers like Lewis, while being able to drive around car issues, may initially be frustrated with car limitations. So assuming they are not eventually crushed from a frustration perspective (why am I in this bad of a car?) and given some time to adapt to the native limitations of a given car/team, I expect they would shine (within reason).

Richard
A bit like Kimmi does in the Sauber Romeo?
Old 19 Apr 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3898594)   #100
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A bit like Kimmi does in the Sauber Romeo?
I haven't really been paying attention to Kimi much this season yet, but looking at results, probably yes.

Richard