Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:49 (Ref:573869)   #1
shurikus
Rookie

shurikus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scottish flyer to miss Indy 500 and more

--------
http://www.autosport.com

Injured IRL IndyCar Series ace Dario Franchitti will miss the Indianapolis 500 and possibly the three more races, according to renowned Indianapolis surgeon Dr Terry Trammell.

Trammell said Franchitti has an L1 vertabra stable burst fracture that does not require surgery but does require bracing for approximately three months. Franchitti, who drives a Dallara-Honda for Andretti Green Racing, will not be cleared to drive for approximately three months from the date of injury, incurred while riding a motorcycle on April 4 in Scotland.

Franchitti said, "I'm pretty devastated right now, between not being able to compete in the Indy 500 and possibly missing a couple of the other races. I'm going to work hard to get back in the car as fast as possible. I'm in a wee bit of pain right now. Dr Trammell knows what he is doing so I will listen to him and do whatever possible to get back in the car. It's disappointing that I won't be with the team at its first Indy 500.

"I feel bad for everyone at Andretti Green especially [owners] Michael [Andretti], Kim [Green], Kevin [Savoree] and I'm really going to miss working with my guys over the next month. I will be on hand to help in any way but my primary focus is to get back in the car as soon as possible."

England's Dan Wheldon subbed for Franchitti at Motegi in Japan last weekend, but his full-time race schedule was due to begin at Indianapolis anyway. Max Papis has been suggested as a replacement for Franchitti.
--------

what a shame
but, i think, it'll be nice to see MadMax back in action behind the wheel of single seater
and I sat down in Gasoline Alley and I cried
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:52 (Ref:573874)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is awful My favorite IRL driver will not be in the biggest IRL race
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:54 (Ref:573878)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Franchitti's not going to be racing, though.

Dario Franchitti will miss this year's Indianapolis 500 and could be out for all June events in the Indy Racing League because of a broken bone in his lower back.

Those plans changed Friday after an Indianapolis doctor said Franchitti would need two more months to recover. Team co-owner Kim Green said Franchitti could be out for up to four races after Indy on May 25.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 09:58 (Ref:573886)   #4
shurikus
Rookie

shurikus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, he was there last year, at least
and, hopefully, will be there in 2004

just mentioned, had MadMax race at Indy 500 before 2002 (last year he raced there with ECR team) ?
and I sat down in Gasoline Alley and I cried
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:12 (Ref:573902)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everything's fallign apart for Andretti-Green then. With Dario's season in tatters, and Kanaan maybe not ready to qualify for the Indy 500, who will they use to qualify Kanaan's car? And who would stand in for Franchiiti? Or has Tony George lost the crucial 34th car for the race, makign a mockery of one of the most important historyical aspects of this great race.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 11:59 (Ref:573950)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
terrible shame for Dario and team green , I wish him a speedy recover and bet he wont be riding to may bikes in the near future.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:32 (Ref:574051)   #7
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A blow to Andretti-Green Racing losing both Kanaan and Franchitti. Max Papis could be tout to replace Franchitti. As for Dixon, broken wrist.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 15:37 (Ref:574131)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Or has Tony George lost the crucial 34th car for the race, makign a mockery of one of the most important historyical aspects of this great race.
Why is a 34th car crucial? Sure it is desired to have a heap of qualifiers for some action on bump day, but there are only 33 spots up for grabs, so i'm not sure how it makes a mockery of any hostorical aspects of the race.

I wouldn't think there would be too much trouble finding a driver. For starters they wouldn't require a pay driver. Vasser?, Junquiera?

Interesting to see what they do regarding Kanaan. They need a driver in the car quick enough to qualify it for the race, but how many quick drivers are willing to sacrifice a race seat to qualify a car for someone else?
Old 19 Apr 2003, 23:01 (Ref:574405)   #9
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read in the newspaper that Andretti-Green is interested in hiring Tony Stewart or Robby Gordon to replace Dario in the 500. Does anyone know if this is true? I thought Tony didn't want to race at Indy this year. I wish he would though.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 01:32 (Ref:574471)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its bad news for Andretti Green.... and obviously for Dario as well, 2003 is a write off for him... wasnt there some old wives tale about green cars being unlucky??

Tony Stewart has said that doing the Indy 500 & the NASCAR race in the same weekend is a mindnumber I would like to see him in the IRL cars again....

A clown at Phillip Island last weekend suggested that Jason Bright was a possible starter for this event....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Apr 2003, 02:44 (Ref:574508)   #11
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario's car is blue
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:49 (Ref:574657)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't think he'll care too much. This time last year he was saying that the Indy 500 is "just another race".
Old 20 Apr 2003, 10:18 (Ref:574677)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Why is a 34th car crucial? Sure it is desired to have a heap of qualifiers for some action on bump day, but there are only 33 spots up for grabs, so i'm not sure how it makes a mockery of any hostorical aspects of the race.

I wouldn't think there would be too much trouble finding a driver. For starters they wouldn't require a pay driver. Vasser?, Junquiera?

Interesting to see what they do regarding Kanaan. They need a driver in the car quick enough to qualify it for the race, but how many quick drivers are willing to sacrifice a race seat to qualify a car for someone else?
The nature of the Month of May, with the exact schedule of practice, qualfying 1 then Bubble Day, is one of the things which makes the Indy 500 special. The schedule has been exactly the same for decades, and has produced some of the classic moments of champions struggling to qualify, and often failing. Not to mention the system of people who only qualify on day 2 starting near the back of the field no matter hwo fast they were. Besides, if there are only 33 cars, whoever replaces Kanaan in qualifying that car can dawdle round as slowly as he likes.

<b><i> Vasser and Junquiera do not want to the race the Indy 500 this year</i></b>. It would mean missing two CART rounds (one if they chose to skip first day qualifying), and that would be too much of a dent to their championship aspirations. What's more, why would Newman-Haas or Johansson release their drivers, unless major funding is offered for their replacement? The Indy 500 is dangerous as well, arguably more so than oval races in CART.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 10:43 (Ref:574693)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall Vasser saying he was interested in an Indy 500 drive, so long as it was a competitive one. He said so at one of CART's Town Meetings (Portland one i think), and Pook didn't mind.

They wouldn't need to miss any rounds. Neither of their European races clashes with the 500. They can get someone else to qualify the car, or run on bump day.

Also, according to ESPN Tony Stewart will replace Dario Franchitti at Indianapolis.

Last edited by racer69; 20 Apr 2003 at 10:44.