Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Jul 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1363370)   #1
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saloon Cars Set For 2006 Cams Australian Championship

SALOON CARS SET FOR 2006 CAMS AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP

The Board of the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) has approved a CAMS Australian Championship for Saloon Cars to commence in 2006.

Australian Championship status for the Group 3K Saloon Car category was approved by the CAMS Board on 15 July upon recommendation from the Australian Motor Race Commission (AMRC).

“The Saloon Car category was born out of the Towards 2000 strategic document released by CAMS in the late 90s and the category’s elevation to Australian Championship status is testament to sound planning and professional management over a sustained period of time,” said AMRC Chairman, Mr Graeme Emerton.

Mr Les Morrall, National Administrator of the Australian Saloon Car Company (TASCCO), said being awarded Australian Championship status was the culmination of several years of hard work both on and off the race track.

“The promotion in status elevates the Saloon Car category to an exalted position in Australian motor sport that is occupied by the top echelon of motor racing categories, and a position that the Saloon Car category will not take lightly,” said Morrall.

“Saloon Car racing has proved to be a successful and popular racing category, and with the introduction of VT Commodore and AU Falcon models, new sponsors, and Australian Championship status in 2006, the category’s future appears to be very secure indeed.”
Old 6 Aug 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1373605)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is very good news. I remember reading it, but then wondered why there was no thread about it, till I tripped over this one

It is great news for some of the hard workers behind the scenes in the class...

Running modern car shapes, in a well run category, and some big name sponsors... while still being relatively cheap to operate makes this a good stepping stone class on the ladder of sedan racing.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Aug 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1373647)   #3
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news for the category yes, but I am not sure about giving a class that says no to current model cars a national Championship.

Good luck to them though.

Are the Utes and Aussie Racing Cars also looking at obtaining Championship status?
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 03:45 (Ref:1374089)   #4
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Mackay gave another less than intelligent response in today's Sunday Herald quote:
"just what the country needs is another two-make series. Proving the world is going completely silly, CAMS has approved an official Australian championship for Saloon Cars in 2006" Maybe it should be pointed out to Peter, that CAMS is acknowledging the Status quo, not really creating another catergory.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1374275)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you can see his point. It is another category set along narrow guidlines. However there is also merit is this category.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1374277)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
What's the difference with V8 Supercars?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1374291)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saloon cars are stock standard, all but as you buy off the show room floor, whereas v8 supercar is designed around a project blueprint policy ie not like you buy off the show room floor.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1374449)   #8
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe to keep Mr McKay happy the people at Saloon Cars could let Magnas and his beloved Camrys to be a part of it?
Old 8 Aug 2005, 00:12 (Ref:1374570)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
Maybe to keep Mr McKay happy the people at Saloon Cars could let Magnas and his beloved Camrys to be a part of it?
Im sure there would be many more than benefits to such a move than just to keep one person happy.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 02:41 (Ref:1374610)   #10
Robert Ryan
Veteran

DRT , I think not. You already have a successful formula that CAMS has now accepted as a National class. It already exists. Best leave it alone and allow it to develop itself at it's own pace. If you want to have something like what your advocating, start your own series or get others that will pleased to help you.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 06:02 (Ref:1374651)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
DRT , I think not.
So are you saying you dont see any benefits of the addition more 6 cylinder vehicles. Sure it already exists, but does that mean you could not tweak it.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1374656)   #12
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Im sure there would be many more than benefits to such a move than just to keep one person happy.
Yeah you're right, it may well bring Holden and Ford fans closer together...
Old 8 Aug 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1374684)   #13
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Peter Mackay gave another less than intelligent response in today's Sunday Herald quote:
"just what the country needs is another two-make series. Proving the world is going completely silly, CAMS has approved an official Australian championship for Saloon Cars in 2006" Maybe it should be pointed out to Peter, that CAMS is acknowledging the Status quo, not really creating another catergory.
Exactly Robert.

Saloon Cars have been racing nationally since its inception in early 2000.

The approval to upgrade to championship status has been 5 1/2 years in the making.

Peter Mackay has obviously been involved with reporting on motor racing for many years and as such is completely entitled to his opinion. I'm sure there are many others out there who will agree with him, but there are also many who agree with CAMS decision based on what Saloon Cars provide.

"Good news for the category yes, but I am not sure about giving a class that says no to current model cars a national Championship."

Saloon Cars are about affordable racing (well as much as motor racing is affordable ) and upgrading to the current models is a huge expense & we already have both V8 & HPDC series running current shape cars as do the Utes. So realistically, do the spectators really want to see another Ford/Holden Category running the same models as everyone else just with a 6 cylinder engine?
You can purchase an AU or VT for around $3,000 plus.
Whereas to purchase a BA or VY/X or Z i would assume the cheapest roller would be in excess of $15,000 (please correct me if I'm wrong) so to build an Au or VT Saloon from scratch including purchase of the vehicles should cost between $18,000 to $25,000 (approximate only) depending on how much the owner does themselves, which is pretty close to what it cost to build an EA or VN back 5 years ago.
Hence the original purpose of Saloon Cars was to provide an affordable entry into Motorsport.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1375373)   #14
Robert Ryan
Veteran

This is the original piece from the Sunday Herald the 7/8/05
"Just what the country needs is another two-make series. Proving the world is going completely silly, CAMS has approved an official Australian championship for Saloon Cars, to begin in 2006. Saloon Cars is a category for older-model Commodores and Falcons.

I know what you're thinking: don't we already have a two-make series for Holdens and Fords? Make that two in fact, if we count the Utes.

While acknowledging that Commodore and Falcon are Australia's two best-selling new vehicle models (to fleet buyers), surely it's time to accept there are motor sport fans in Australia (other than moi) who want more variety on their motor racing menu"
Old 9 Aug 2005, 00:38 (Ref:1375419)   #15
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Thanks for that Robert, I didn't see the write up as I was in Perth for Round 5 & didn't have access to a computer until yesterday.

Again, his opinion, If people want to see other makes racing, go to an AMRS meeting, you get to see just about everything else, as well as Saloon Cars.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1375624)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
Again, his opinion, If people want to see other makes racing, go to an AMRS meeting, you get to see just about everything else, as well as Saloon Cars.
Do they serve chardonnay?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Aug 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1375653)   #17
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
Exactly Robert.

"Good news for the category yes, but I am not sure about giving a class that says no to current model cars a national Championship."

Saloon Cars are about affordable racing (well as much as motor racing is affordable ) and upgrading to the current models is a huge expense & we already have both V8 & HPDC series running current shape cars as do the Utes. So realistically, do the spectators really want to see another Ford/Holden Category running the same models as everyone else just with a 6 cylinder engine?
You can purchase an AU or VT for around $3,000 plus.
Whereas to purchase a BA or VY/X or Z i would assume the cheapest roller would be in excess of $15,000 (please correct me if I'm wrong) so to build an Au or VT Saloon from scratch including purchase of the vehicles should cost between $18,000 to $25,000 (approximate only) depending on how much the owner does themselves, which is pretty close to what it cost to build an EA or VN back 5 years ago.
Hence the original purpose of Saloon Cars was to provide an affordable entry into Motorsport.
All very true, and I agree that upgrading to the latest models every couple of years is not at all what the category needs.

Saloon Cars is a great state level category, who have got together to create a very fine national series. I just don't think that a budget/development category such as this one deserves to have such a high accolade awarded to it by CAMS.

We have got more Championships being awarded now than almost ever before, and in my opinion, we didn't really need this one.

This is just my opinion. and as I said before, they have got it, so good luck to them.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1375720)   #18
Robert Ryan
Veteran

GTR Magic , Peter used to drink "Suds" in his less sophisticated Speedway days in the 1970's..but I doubt that is the case anymore.
Old 9 Aug 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1375824)   #19
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
@ GTR
I'm sure I could arrange some
Old 11 Aug 2005, 03:01 (Ref:1379534)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the category managers went about including Magnas and Camrys in the same manner they have managed the Ford/Holden parity, I think it would only enhance the series. I’m not quite sure how many people would necessarily race them though, and it is doubtful it would add significantly to the following of the championship either, so on balance you would have to say it is not likely to be worthwhile.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 03:15 (Ref:1379537)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
If the category managers went about including Magnas and Camrys in the same manner they have managed the Ford/Holden parity, I think it would only enhance the series. I’m not quite sure how many people would necessarily race them though,
No neither am I however abit of market research would help with that.

As Kerri has said Saloon cars is an excellent and affordable form of entry level motorsport, if I was a small team and there was an opportunity to race a Magna or Camry against Fords and Holdens I would definately look at it, especially as it would help you stand out amongst the grid, I cant see a sponsor minding that.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 04:00 (Ref:1379550)   #22
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
I hope my other doesn't see this about the other makes, he might just get some ideas that it is another challenge for him.
More cars, more testing, more parity.
Just what I need, more time in the shed and more time on the phone, oh goody, thanks alot guys
Old 11 Aug 2005, 04:34 (Ref:1379560)   #23
Robert Ryan
Veteran

And More cost...sounds great. A cheap Formula becomes becomes expensive.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 05:45 (Ref:1379571)   #24
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Trust me Robert is wont be happening, with the new models out for their final test this weekend there isn't enough time for 2 more.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1379624)   #25
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide

Last edited by Kerri; 11 Aug 2005 at 08:10. Reason: Double post