Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2748995)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Max on team orders scandal : Ferrari need more of ze punishment!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86074

He's coy on what he wants the additional punishment to be (answers on a postcard please) but he wants something more. The question is what will the WMSC do ...
Old 23 Aug 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2748999)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet he wants a spanking.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2749027)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i didn't see any mention of it in La Gazzetta dello Sport, but this site:

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ory/26271.html

is reporting that according to La Gazzetta, Ferrari may be thinking of civil action against the FIA if found guilty (or dislike the punishment).

its probably just an unsubstantiated rumour or maybe even Ferrari posturing, however if it does happen is this the end of the FIA and F1? regardless if the case has merit or not, if sports teams start suing their governing body total collapse cannot be far off.

anyways its been too long between races and the hysteria is starting to get to me. of course this isn't the end but this Ferrari vs FIA battle has been brewing for sometime and i fear that Luca has been waiting for an opportunity like this to come along.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2749047)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm trying to decide if Max's intervention makes Ferrari more or less likely to receive additional punishment. Either way, I think he should butt out!
Old 23 Aug 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2749086)   #5
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
butt out!
Interesting turn of phrase while talking about mad max's opinions on punishment
Old 23 Aug 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2749108)   #6
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
But wouldn't he rather consider NO spanking to be a punishment?
Old 23 Aug 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2749126)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see the mods having to lock this thread soon (sadly) - it is after all a family friendly forum
Old 23 Aug 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2749127)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
But wouldn't he rather consider NO spanking to be a punishment?
Ofcourse, he would.

Naughty people need naughty spanking, according to those kind of folks.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2749163)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, when Max left FIA HQ on his last day as president, he forgot to leave his mouth behind.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2749226)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i didn't see any mention of it in La Gazzetta dello Sport, but this site:

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ory/26271.html

is reporting that according to La Gazzetta, Ferrari may be thinking of civil action against the FIA if found guilty (or dislike the punishment).

its probably just an unsubstantiated rumour or maybe even Ferrari posturing, however if it does happen is this the end of the FIA and F1? regardless if the case has merit or not, if sports teams start suing their governing body total collapse cannot be far off.

anyways its been too long between races and the hysteria is starting to get to me. of course this isn't the end but this Ferrari vs FIA battle has been brewing for sometime and i fear that Luca has been waiting for an opportunity like this to come along.

thnks for the article Chillibowl.
I believe that Ferrari already have an action for unfair and prejudicial action against the FIA, any further sanctions should just reinforce their case.
There have been so many cases of team orders that the fuss just beggars belief!

Max is nobody now, thankfully, so why is anyone interested in his opinion?
Old 24 Aug 2010, 01:50 (Ref:2749280)   #11
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cause he once was a somebody, and hey its got us reading the articles and watching the ads. As a former English Prof once told me, Newspapers don't sell News, but they sure can sell ads.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2749346)   #12
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
thnks for the article Chillibowl.
I believe that Ferrari already have an action for unfair and prejudicial action against the FIA, any further sanctions should just reinforce their case.
There have been so many cases of team orders that the fuss just beggars belief!

Max is nobody now, thankfully, so why is anyone interested in his opinion?
My opinion only, but any team that sues the governing body should be kicked out. Ferrari should put up and shut up. They've been caught out, they need to take their medicine and stop believing they have a god given right to do what the hell they like. They also need to get someone who can implemented invisible team orders who has an IQ greater than my 4 year old, who would do a better job.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2749673)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
i think its terrible that it has gotten this far. on one hand we have a team which is in many ways bigger (or thinks it) than the sport and on the other a governing body that has no moral (and maybe even no legal) authority to hand out fines or punishments.

so for me the question becomes what authority does the FIA actually hold over the teams. Under Max, right or wrong, he made Mclaren accept their huge fine. insert your own feelings about spygate here but does anyone think Mclaren were in the wrong to the tune of 100mill? perhaps this fine could have been overturned or significantly reduced in a civil court, but Mclaren accepted the FIA's decision.

flash forward a couple of years to Ferrari's cheating with the use of team orders. so another case of "technically cheating" but something that everyone does. Ferrari have already received one fine for it but now stand to receive additional penalties.

granted these are very different situations but after how Mclaren got railroaded (while another team cheated and got nothing) i dont know if i could blame Ferrari for going outside the FIA structure. afterall it worked for Flav
Old 24 Aug 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2749704)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

McLaren never paid their 100m fine, though.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2749709)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
as in never paid it or it was deducted against prize money?
Old 24 Aug 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2749710)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is that it, nothing more to add? Context? A link? Or does it work best as a throw away one liner?
Old 24 Aug 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2749730)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
How did they avoid payment?

If the FIA enforced its laws impartially they may have moral authority.
Legal authority would likewise be enforceable if they had not ignored team orders prior to this event.

There is also a little matter of double jeopardy as the stewards have already fined Ferrari and Ferrari has accepted the penaltly for the infraction. This is now the FIA double dipping for the same offence.
Sorry its the FIA that is running an illegal witch hunt.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2749737)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear god I though this thread would have a link to a certain Sniff Petrol article that has been posted recently...
Old 24 Aug 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2749740)   #19
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Oh dear god I though this thread would have a link to a certain Sniff Petrol article that has been posted recently...
Well link away then.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2749752)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What a fine idea, I am sure you are right...But Max we don't care what you think, so sod off now there's a good chap...
Old 25 Aug 2010, 08:08 (Ref:2749815)   #21
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Legal authority would likewise be enforceable if they had not ignored team orders prior to this event.

There is also a little matter of double jeopardy as the stewards have already fined Ferrari and Ferrari has accepted the penaltly for the infraction. This is now the FIA double dipping for the same offence.
? Not double dipping. The stewards ruled against them for using team orders I beleive. Isn't the FIA more to do with bringing the sport in to disrepute? I would agree that Ferrair have done that - the comment here and elsewhere are evidence of that - and continue to do so. Get rid of them. F1 would be a better place without them (Ferrari) acting like this.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2749834)   #22
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Two points:
1. It is not illegal.
2. It is in fact a part of the original penalty and that is created by the FIA judicial code, so it is not double dipping.

The FIA judicial code has limits of authority granted to the stewards of a meeting. In general the stewards cannot suspend a driver or a team. That privilege is granted to the World Motor Sport Council who will hear the case in September because the stewards of the meeting referred the case to them.

It is not a new charge but part of the original penalty. The maximum penalty that can be imposed by the stewards is $50,000USD so the $100,000 was the maximum that could be imposed on the team (2 cars).
This also indicates that both cars/drivers were implicated in the decision.

In addition matters of bringing the sport into disrepute can only be decided by the WMSC, hence the referral upstairs.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2749847)   #23
wnut
Veteran

Thanks Teretonga.

My understanding was that the stewards can elect to refer a matter to the WMSC if it was beyond their jurisdiction.
In this case they chose to rule on the matter and penalise Ferrari for what they perceived to be team orders. Stewards decisions are not subject to appeal and the judgement and penalty was accepted by Ferrari.
I believe the penalty and the acceptance finalises the matter, (should also finalise bringing the sport into disrepute) it will be interesting to see what happens after the WMSC spins the random penalty and revenue collection wheel.

If the stewards had wanted the WMSC to deal with the matter they should have referred it directly and not got involved.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2749865)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The team orders and bringing the sport in to disrepute are, rightly or wrongly, separate charges. The first is for the actual manouvre, the latter is for the bare-faced lying and huge negative publicity for the sport amongst other things after the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
as in never paid it or it was deducted against prize money?
It was deducted against prize money, and always planned to be so.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 25 Aug 2010 at 10:15.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2750166)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
The team orders and bringing the sport in to disrepute are, rightly or wrongly, separate charges. The first is for the actual manouvre, the latter is for the bare-faced lying and huge negative publicity for the sport amongst other things after the incident.
The charge of bringing the sport into disrepute is not one made by the stewards but has popped up inthe media.
The stewards can refer the case to the FIA/WMSC if they feel that none of the penalties available to them is severe enough. That doesn't preclude them from issueing the maximum fine. It is not necessarily the end of the matter.

the FIA also has the power to conduct an independent inquiry into a matter if it so desires. because the stewards referred the matter to the WMSC they will have to hear it.
But any other action is at the discretion of the WMSC.
The aftermath duke toaster is referring to is what happened after the incident, but that is not what the stewards referred the matter for.