Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3483353)   #1
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 V8 Gala Night

Just wondering if there is any footage or will this been shown at a later date.

Seems weird, that other codes televise their big night, but not this one, or do you have to pay or belong to some group or live stream it ?

Tribute to Ross Stone would have been great to watch, as to Russel,
Does crash/cash Warburton want to get the fans onside or is it a secret men's club and you can only see if you are in the click.
Even international motorsport is televised or you can pick it up, just seems weird , we don't get to see on TV
Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3483357)   #2
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
V8 Gala Night

Apparently V8Xtra are showing highlights on this weekends show.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I swear they televised it years ago. Not live but an hours highlights package which was a good wrap up of the nights proceedings where they showed the awarding of the major awards and what not.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3483360)   #3
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Ryan Walkinshaw was less than impressed with Duttos speech. Wonder what was said?
Old 9 Dec 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3483375)   #4
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the night really need TV coverage?

The awards night is just basically a **** fest where the V8Supercar community pats itself on its own back and tells each other how great a job each other is doing

Add in TV coverage and the thing will become dominated by the WAGS anyway......

Question - Can you win the V8 Media award if you report impartially, or is it awarded to the jour no who kisses arse the best over the course of a season?
Old 9 Dec 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3483380)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Question - Can you win the V8 Media award if you report impartially, or is it awarded to the jour no who kisses arse the best over the course of a season?
Mr Fogarty isnt exactly impartial, he shoots between the eyes rather than dances around subjects... and hasnt always been a fan of the machinations...

... if you are asking if someone like Mr McKay could win this award... well... it depends if the people making the votes are on a pishtaking expedition or not most likely...

Most journos in this space are wiser than their words sometimes make them appear, acknowledging that sensationalist work gets column inches otherwise allocated to AFL, NRL, A-League, Cricket or other stuff that isnt motorsport...

...so writing controversial stories will get you space.. sometimes it doesnt rub well with the industry players though

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Dec 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3483394)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Most journos in this space are wiser than their words sometimes make them appear, acknowledging that sensationalist work gets column inches otherwise allocated to AFL, NRL, A-League, Cricket or other stuff that isnt motorsport...

...so writing controversial stories will get you space.. sometimes it doesnt rub well with the industry players though

I dont think that excuses this though - some of the utter rubbish and blatant PR that Mr Phelps pushed out on behalf of V8SA this year was particularly poor.

The blokes inflated opinion of himself doesnt do himself any favours either.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3483544)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Apparently V8Xtra are showing highlights on this weekends show.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I swear they televised it years ago. Not live but an hours highlights package which was a good wrap up of the nights proceedings where they showed the awarding of the major awards and what not.
its usually part of V8Xtra the following weekend
Old 9 Dec 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3483567)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
its usually part of V8Xtra the following weekend
At least once they televised it same night, at like midnight or something. A highlights package but semi-live

You might think Fox will make a bigger song & dance out of it, to get more viewers
Old 10 Dec 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3483583)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 10 Dec 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3483593)   #10
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how is that awarded, total points per manufacturer?
Old 10 Dec 2014, 01:53 (Ref:3483601)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
At least once they televised it same night, at like midnight or something. A highlights package but semi-live

You might think Fox will make a bigger song & dance out of it, to get more viewers
At the end of the day - its only an awards night. Is it that much of a priority?
Old 10 Dec 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3483605)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if the driver attendance is mandatory?
Old 10 Dec 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3483609)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
At the end of the day - its only an awards night. Is it that much of a priority?
They seem to make a big song & dance about the NASCAR version..
Old 10 Dec 2014, 04:20 (Ref:3483626)   #14
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Well the Brownlow night and Allan Border medal are a big deal in their respective sports. Why shouldn't the biggest championship in the land have a night to celebrate?
Old 10 Dec 2014, 05:42 (Ref:3483643)   #15
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well the Brownlow night and Allan Border medal are a big deal in their respective sports. Why shouldn't the biggest championship in the land have a night to celebrate?
Wouldn't the CAMS Motorsport Awards suffice?

Celebrate the sport, not just one category
Old 10 Dec 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3483647)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
No one is saying that they shouldn't hold a night - I dont understand the fixation on why it needs to be broadcast - same day, same night etc

The reasoning - "because NASCAR does" seems a little soft for mine
Old 11 Dec 2014, 07:49 (Ref:3483989)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
JW Says Goodbye To 2014

Nice words... A champion's effort
Old 21 Dec 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3486992)   #18
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR has made a week out of it, with different fan, sponsor and industry only events. End of the day, the sponsors pay big money, so this is getting there $$$ worth. They also look back at the season and have a laugh.

This years Indycar awards night was interesting. Same as VESA, there's happened the next night. Acknowledgement was given to those and also sponsors.

I think having such an evening for the VESA crew is worth it. Gives the staff, drivers, team staff and all others a chance to acknowledge the work done over the year. Have a party and enjoy the success. And as usual with every awards night in Australia, it's all about the WAGS and how they're dressed.

Seriously, would you rather stand around the back of the pits after the last race and have someone present you with your championship trophy, or special award for the season?? Or would you rather go out, enjoy the night and stand in a room in-front of your peers and sponsors?? I know what I would rather....
Old 27 Dec 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3488078)   #19
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well the Brownlow night and Allan Border medal are a big deal in their respective sports.
and how boring are they to watch on TV.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3488115)   #20
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Seriously, would you rather stand around the back of the pits after the last race and have someone present you with your championship trophy, or special award for the season?? Or would you rather go out, enjoy the night and stand in a room in-front of your peers and sponsors?? I know what I would rather....
Jamie was given his championship trophy on the podium on the Sunday after the last race of the season. Did he get another trophy on the Monday night?

F1 hands out all it's gongs at the FIA awards along with all the other FIA world champions, why can't V8s just hand out all their awards at the CAMS Motorsport awards along with the other champions of Australia?
Old 28 Dec 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3488179)   #21
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
The big difference there 155 is that the FIA own and run the F1 World Championship whereas CAMS neither own nor run the V8 Supercar series.

Personally, I find award nights very boring but in a commercial sport they are quite important for sponsors. Don't make great TV and a short highlights package makes sense to me. How that would work if the V8 awards were combined with the CAMS awards I don't know.

I'm not 100% sure but I THINK that it's been common practice for the V8 Supercar champion to attend the CAMS award night to received the ATCC champion's trophy.

There are more V8 awards than that of course which is probably another reason why they hold their own awards night.

Holding separate awards nights for the different categories is pretty common - Carrera Cup definitely do it, I think that utes do it too and I've seen various shots from (I think) improved production award nights and the like.
Old 28 Dec 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3488236)   #22
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The big difference there 155 is that the FIA own and run the F1 World Championship whereas CAMS neither own nor run the V8 Supercar series.
I thought Bernie owned & ran F1 and the FIA just looks after the rules & judical stuff like CAMS does for the V8's ??
Old 28 Dec 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3488315)   #23
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
I thought Bernie owned & ran F1 and the FIA just looks after the rules & judical stuff like CAMS does for the V8's ??
The FIA still own the championship but leased it to Bernie for 100 years. He subsequently sold the lease to CVC.

The actual details and ownership is more complicated than that but you are correct in that that the FIA and CAMS play similar roles in Formula One and V8 Supercars respectively.
Old 29 Dec 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3488357)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The FIA still own the championship but leased it to Bernie for 100 years. He subsequently sold the lease to CVC.

The actual details and ownership is more complicated than that but you are correct in that that the FIA and CAMS play similar roles in Formula One and V8 Supercars respectively.
I think the only difference is that CAMS, rather than 'lease' the ATCC out, they just gave it all away, hence the effective 'power' that V8Supercars have now.
Old 29 Dec 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3488507)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Guys,

The FIA own the F1 World Championship - Bernie leases the commercial rights only. Bernie did the deal with CVC and they have bought the lease from him - presumably the FIA would have needed to consent to that but the terms of the lease would dictate that.

Thus, having the F1 World Champion presented at the FIA awards makes complete sense.

CAMS situation is different as it does not own, right the rules for nor administer the V8 Supercar series. CAMS provides the judicial process and a CAMS staff member is appointed as the race director. As the main game is an FIA international series, CAMS would most likely provide the conduit for liaison with the FIA too.

Racer69, CAMS did not "give up" the management rights, it was a shareholder but then embarked on a legally questionable path to steal the category back - there was a blue and CAMS lost. Simple as that really. Last I heard, the V8s still pay CAMS a category management fee, more than any other category does but if CAMS hadn't been dumb enough to try and steal the category and had remained a shareholder, no doubt the financial return would have been better for CAMS.