Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Feb 2018, 23:11 (Ref:3803502)   #176
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What, you mean a story in motor racing based on hubris and bullshit? Surely some mistake!!!!???!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Old 24 Feb 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3803597)   #177
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
if they had the kind of money a bid for force india suggests, they’d have made sowery’s life a bit easier in racing i think it’s posturing by the people behind the company to attract investors. have a look at the accounts on companies house. nowt going on there.
Toby is a great guy, a great talent, its shame he dosnt have the backing that drivers half his skill have

He used to run for my team in JNR kart series.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 16:02 (Ref:3803636)   #178
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Esteban Ocon is doing F1 duties that were originally planned for Jules Bianchi,
in the same manner Gerhard Berger did the ones planned for Stefan Bellof.
We have to wait and see what happens in FI then in 2018.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 17:04 (Ref:3803646)   #179
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no he isn’t! jules would have been at ferrari now and esteban is a mercedes driver...
Old 24 Feb 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3803653)   #180
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not so sure, bella... Take the example of Elio de Angelis, a Ferrari development driver, backed in F2 with that badge, but in F1 finally was taken by Colin Chapman and Lotus.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3803661)   #181
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i'm looking at what actually happened and how it would have actually panned out, not irrelevant examples.

not sure what this has to do with force india's future anyway. it'll depend when mercedes want to promote ocon, which in all likelihood will depend on how bottas is getting on and what he wants to do.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3809544)   #182
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Well then... Force India will change it's name to...

Force India!!! After all the hype, the name will remain as is.

Old 23 Mar 2018, 00:19 (Ref:3810012)   #183
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
huge coup for force india - they’ve managed to get havaianas to sponsor their halo. out-mclarening mclaren there quite nicely

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ipflop-sponsor
Old 30 Mar 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3811988)   #184
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
apparently Mallya's legal troubles is again putting Force India in financial troubles. according to this article, Bob Fernley is quoted as admitting as much as well as saying that Williams have vetoed FI's request for an advance on its FOM prize money.

http://new.grandprix.com/news/force-...-survival.html

i seem to recall Haas made a similar veto last year but ultimately withdrew their objection but with Williams on the decline i can see this not playing out as favorably for FI this year.

if this is true, then poor form by Williams imo. more so because despite finishing behind FI last year they still make more money due to their historical payments and also because of the sizable pay driver money they take.

although this is F1 so maybe Williams are using this to gain leverage on another issue.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3812038)   #185
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, I've run out of patience for Claire and Williams in general. They like to preach the old school quality of the team and how they are the real F1, yet they are propped up a boy racer and his daddy's wallet. Stroll is quicker than the average bloke but an F1 leader he is not. Doubt he'll ever have a real shot of winning outside of a fluke rain or other shortened event with a strategy that puts him in the right place at the right time.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3812269)   #186
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, I've run out of patience for Claire and Williams in general. They like to preach the old school quality of the team and how they are the real F1, yet they are propped up a boy racer and his daddy's wallet. Stroll is quicker than the average bloke but an F1 leader he is not. Doubt he'll ever have a real shot of winning outside of a fluke rain or other shortened event with a strategy that puts him in the right place at the right time.
I have never understood this POV at all. If I want to spend a hundred million for my son to race why shouldn't I be able to and forget the argument he is keeping some super duper mega talented driver out because if the driver is so good sponsors will come to him so I don't buy it at all. It's my money and I want to spend it my way, not yours or anyone else's.

Now we can look at what has happened since Stroll decided to go motor racing from the start to F1, he has injected a shed load of money into the sport, kept a lot of people in jobs I dare say and possibly even saved Williams from going under because he put his hand in his pocket and sponsored his son's racing. A lot of people are still employed because of it and I have to ask where the problem is.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3812317)   #187
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sometimes pay drivers are worth it, especially if they have some talent, like Stroll has
Old 1 Apr 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3812322)   #188
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sometimes pay drivers are worth it, especially if they have some talent, like Stroll has
Assume this is an April fool? He is a long, long way from being to able to fully grasp the opportunity that has been purchased. And the team know it.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3812339)   #189
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I have never understood this POV at all. If I want to spend a hundred million for my son to race why shouldn't I be able to and forget the argument he is keeping some super duper mega talented driver out because if the driver is so good sponsors will come to him so I don't buy it at all. It's my money and I want to spend it my way, not yours or anyone else's.

Now we can look at what has happened since Stroll decided to go motor racing from the start to F1, he has injected a shed load of money into the sport, kept a lot of people in jobs I dare say and possibly even saved Williams from going under because he put his hand in his pocket and sponsored his son's racing. A lot of people are still employed because of it and I have to ask where the problem is.
I have ZERO problem with Stroll as a driver, I have a huge problem with Williams pretending he's the best driver out there for them. Either be a rent a drive team and admit it or realize you need better drivers to be the team you think you are. Sadly, and I've said it about Dyson in the ALMS as well, you aren't the peak team any longer. That time had come and gone, leaving you in the dust and the history of the sport not the future.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3812348)   #190
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I have ZERO problem with Stroll as a driver, I have a huge problem with Williams pretending he's the best driver out there for them. Either be a rent a drive team and admit it or realize you need better drivers to be the team you think you are. Sadly, and I've said it about Dyson in the ALMS as well, you aren't the peak team any longer. That time had come and gone, leaving you in the dust and the history of the sport not the future.
Totally accurate. I don’t blame the Strolls at all, it just greats with the Williams lies.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3812359)   #191
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As much as I respect the championship position that Force India have managed in the last two seasons,this problem seems like poetic justice.I remember when they made big efforts to prevent Manor/Marussia getting a payment that might just have kept them alive.

As for the Williams situation;just what do they expect from two number two drivers?I hope the FIA can find a way to get a couple more teams involved and may the best team thrive.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 03:40 (Ref:3812404)   #192
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post

I have a bigger problem with what daddy stroll is doing than I do Claire williams. Imo, if you are going to take up one of only 20 or so seats in a high level series, blocking the way for an actual merit based seat, they should have to pay for a 3rd car for the team to field another car with a driver based on merit that can't acquire the needed funds. It devalues the series when a 20 car grid in what is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing only has 12-15 actual merit based drivers.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3812436)   #193
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 has always been this. No, screw that, the whole of motor racing has always been like it. The pay drivers pay for the teams to develop a driver in the other seat, or to keep engineering talent employed, or simply cover the costs of the team running.

Look back over history and most years there are people bringing bags of gold. Stroll is quite good compared to the likes of Hector Rebaque, Giovanni Lavazzi, and that Israeli SAS guy who did Friday testing, so memorable I can't remember his name. Go back even further, Prince Bira immediately pre and post WW2 who burned a shed load of Siamese royal cash on motor racing.

Celebrate the pay drivers they mean the teams stay in business. This is a harsh world, someone has to sign the cheques. If it means we get only professional teams and avoid disasters like Andrea Moda Formula, Lola F1 and so on then it's got to be good.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Apr 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3812438)   #194
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is about Force India really so the Williams situation should be discussed in the correct thread(s). But the sport has become so incredibly expensive and to an extent so far away from its ethos the need for pay drivers is exacerbated.

There will of course always be teams.who struggle and a change of regs won't solve it entirely. Likewise there may.be sponsors out there who would love to get involved but the costs far outweigh the benefits. Couple that with falling interest and you will always have this situation.

Pay drivers have been around for many years.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3812443)   #195
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Assume this is an April fool? He is a long, long way from being to able to fully grasp the opportunity that has been purchased. And the team know it.
How many pay drivers have won a F3 title?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3812454)   #196
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much every F3 title ever?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3812455)   #197
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
How many pay drivers have won a F3 title?
Obviously a lot, but only one has paid an F1 team to develop his car and only (the same) one has paid his team mates to move out of the way and not challenge him in track I think.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3812461)   #198
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
at the time, nelsinho piquet’s title was thought of fairly similarly?
Old 2 Apr 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3812462)   #199
peebee2
Veteran

You are right of course!

And others have tried like Grubmuller when Merc has the car in their tunnel for 500 hours. Mind you at least he let Renger have the same parts, unlike 2016.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3812468)   #200
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
As much as I respect the championship position that Force India have managed in the last two seasons,this problem seems like poetic justice.I remember when they made big efforts to prevent Manor/Marussia getting a payment that might just have kept them alive.
Was it over an early payment or permission to use a prior year car?

not all together dissimilar I guess so yeah a bit of poetic justice. Still sad this is where Williams is at though.

Tags
diageo, force india, formula 1