Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Dec 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1478088)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tombazis leaves McLaren?

Hot on the heels of Adrian Newey's departure, Nick Tombazis has also left the design team.

McLaren's Vehicle Project Director Nick Tombazis is reported to have left the team after only 18 months. Tombazis joined McLaren from Ferrari in April 2004 to work on car design but McLaren already head chief designer Mike Coughlan in place in addition to executive engineering director Neil Oatley. Soon after his arrival, the technical team was reshuffled with Paddy Lowe being put in charge of vehicle design, aerodynamics, simulation and race engineering, while Tombazis found himself in more of an administrative role.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15994.html
Old 6 Dec 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1478089)   #2
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1478093)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Reported to have left"

This is from a report in a German magazine.

If true, it's disappointing, but if Tombazis was in a "more administrative role" already it shouldn't have too much impact on the pace of the car.

There's no better manager in F1 than Ron Dennis, so I'd not be too concerned.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1478096)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will put the topic as a question until we get confirmation.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1478148)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If true...it'd be interesting and once again, it be noted that another high-quality member has decided to leave, this one after just 18 months.

Ironic considering that the new Pentagon is meant to improve motivation and work environment and make employees WANT to work... not leave.

But probably, i believe that like Newey, Tombazis leave because he felt he couldn't display his talent fully... with a number of quality personnel taking up many competing roles to the point of each position being to specific and narrow.

For example, an operation like RBR will be more streamlined in the management structure, and a person like Newey would find himself in a more involving and complete role than he could find at Mclaren.

Their departure won't hurt Mclaren probably, but it definitely won't help.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1478193)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
the new Pentagon
Paragon, Gt_R, Paragon. McLaren only design race cars, not world war and peace yet!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1478238)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, in the 'Adrian Newey leaves McLaren' thread a poster commented that "at least McLaren still have Nick Tombazis", whoops!

Interesting.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1478255)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R

Ironic considering that the new Pentagon is meant to improve motivation and work environment and make employees WANT to work... not leave.
Well, with regards to Adrian Newey, from what i've read, he's left for the challenge at RBR, not because of McLaren's HQ.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1478278)   #9
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I await with interest to see where he ends up if this story is confirmed ....

A poll as to which team ?

Evens on RBR ?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1478308)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LoL Jordi, my bad.. typing without concentrating always result in silly errors. =) Blame it on over exposure to US policies.

Mclaren can brush it off for all they like, but surely it is disturbing that people of such quality decides to leave, one after another.

And remember that what Mclaren loses, will be another team's gain.

I won't mind if he rejoins Ferrari.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1478310)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

MrV, don't worry..i've read that bit. my comment is firmly tongue-in-cheek stuff.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1478356)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It would be utterly immense if he rejoined Ferrari.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1478368)   #13
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss
I await with interest to see where he ends up if this story is confirmed ....

A poll as to which team ?

Evens on RBR ?
RBR seem to be the team with the biggest finances, and with the biggest chance of signing him.

This will be a great loss for the Maccas, who lost Newey a couple of weeks ago. Thanks God the 2006 car is ready.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1478564)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And McLaren confirm tonight that Tombasis still works for them and is not leaving.

Tabloid speculation, this story, it seems.