Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3204972)   #1
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hampton Downs For Sale

http://www.nzmotorsportpark.co.nz/
Old 15 Feb 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3205009)   #2
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess Tony and Chris have had enough of fighting the good fight. They've done an exceptional job to get it where it is today, I hope they find a worthy buyer or buyers.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3205019)   #3
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I guess Tony and Chris have had enough of fighting the good fight. They've done an exceptional job to get it where it is today, I hope they find a worthy buyer or buyers.
Amen to that, they have done an exception job of turning a dream into a reality and I sincerely hope that the next owners continue down that pathway of their dreams. Chris & Tony can stand tall and be very proud of what they achieved for all of NZ motorsport.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3205046)   #4
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I was very concerned to read the article in Speedcafe this morning, which was headlined

“Hampton Downs creators plead for backers as circuit fights for survival”

It then went on to open with the following paragraphs:

The tenuous financial position of Hampton Downs remains on a knife-edge with its founders putting out a call for national and international investors.

As the V8 SuperTourers opening round kicks off at the North Waikato circuit this weekend, Tony Roberts and Chris Watson, the passionate enthusiasts who constructed the track, have reached flashpoint with the 350-acre facility.

It was only when I was sent the original press release that I realized that the tone was quite different, and whilst the original can be seen purely as a call for investors to complete the circuit, the Speedcafe article has used most of the original press release and then added emotive statements such as:

“Amid concerns over the continued viability of Hampton Downs, Roberts says the circuit will continue to operate.”

This is just tabloid journalism, at no time did HD's release mention whether or not Hampton Downs was running profitably or not, so the Speedcafe author must have simply decided to add some rumour and scuttlebutt to the story to add “spice.”

This is just not what you do with a press release, they are not for adding editorial content which is not based on facts, because the impression comes across that the entire article is authorised. Very bad journalism from Speedcafe.

The circuit is in fact very busy and operating profitably, a fact which the person who wrote that article obviously didn't bother to investigate. I think for once CCC and SB are actually right, you can't always trust what you read there after all.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 02:51 (Ref:3205050)   #5
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seconded.

The full release is indeed that HD is for sale, part or all of the enterprise, or to explore other options to raise finance.

The enterprise has been operating profitably for the last two years but to get things finished needs a cash injection, not further loans. Hiring out the track gets them an income, but they probably get a far greater income from the popular and over subscribed track days.

Neither Tony nor Chris were cash millionaires when they started the project (far from it) so to achieve what they have is nothing short of remarkable, especially considering the hurdles of the very expensive fight against the Labour goverment (who opposed it, via two government departments, Corrections/Prisons and Transport/Roads) and the subsequent delays of two years and the banking system's near collapse.

I have just had an email from a first time UK visitor to the track (for the Hulme Festival) and he was just blown away by it - and it isn't even finished.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 02:57 (Ref:3205051)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The good thing is it has some cash flow and potential and I think it will get sold easily. Just needs someone to take it to the next level.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 03:09 (Ref:3205055)   #7
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Yeah it's a great facility and unlike Pukekohe has permanent pit garages and decent access to the infield, not to mention the on-site commercial units.

I'd just love to see it finished, there would be no excuse to not hold V8SC there!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 03:38 (Ref:3205070)   #8
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I was very concerned to read the article in Speedcafe this morning, which was headlined

“Hampton Downs creators plead for backers as circuit fights for survival”

It then went on to open with the following paragraphs:

The tenuous financial position of Hampton Downs remains on a knife-edge with its founders putting out a call for national and international investors.

As the V8 SuperTourers opening round kicks off at the North Waikato circuit this weekend, Tony Roberts and Chris Watson, the passionate enthusiasts who constructed the track, have reached flashpoint with the 350-acre facility.

It was only when I was sent the original press release that I realized that the tone was quite different, and whilst the original can be seen purely as a call for investors to complete the circuit, the Speedcafe article has used most of the original press release and then added emotive statements such as:

“Amid concerns over the continued viability of Hampton Downs, Roberts says the circuit will continue to operate.”

This is just tabloid journalism, at no time did HD's release mention whether or not Hampton Downs was running profitably or not, so the Speedcafe author must have simply decided to add some rumour and scuttlebutt to the story to add “spice.”

This is just not what you do with a press release, they are not for adding editorial content which is not based on facts, because the impression comes across that the entire article is authorised. Very bad journalism from Speedcafe.

The circuit is in fact very busy and operating profitably, a fact which the person who wrote that article obviously didn't bother to investigate. I think for once CCC and SB are actually right, you can't always trust what you read there after all.
For those who haven't seen the actual release, here it is: http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/107/latestnews.htm#
Old 17 Feb 2013, 20:40 (Ref:3206337)   #9
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've raced there and it's a brilliant little track! Turns 2/3 and 5 are in my top 10 corners anywhere. I loved the 2 weekends I spent there last year.
Good luck with the sale and future of the facility.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 04:25 (Ref:3206533)   #10
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
I've raced there and it's a brilliant little track! Turns 2/3 and 5 are in my top 10 corners anywhere. I loved the 2 weekends I spent there last year.
Good luck with the sale and future of the facility.

Yes have to agree with you there 100%. every corner on that track has something interesting and challenging about it, and its only got 6 of 'em.

My fave though (and its a hard one this) is turn 1. Blind apex, really hard to pick entry line and braking point, but then it leads to just a wonderfully engineered exit.

It was T1 that caused most of the carnage this weekend for the ST's.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:08 (Ref:3206560)   #11
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only corner I don't like is the long sweeper (turn 6) as every time I partially understeer my way through it, (my old car is very front heavy) all I see is dollar signs on my tyre bill...
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:21 (Ref:3206567)   #12
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
....and turn 6 is supposedly a subaru killer, unless the sump has been baffled
Old 18 Feb 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3206599)   #13
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you probably know, the circuit was originally designed to be raced in the other direction. It's hard to see that as being better than the way it is in this direction. The Kiwi roads and traffic authorities thought a car could wind up on the freeway in the event of a big accident so they forced the direction change.
It's a fantastic facility and the spectating is terrific in several locations.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3206636)   #14
Alpina107
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
....and turn 6 is supposedly a subaru killer, unless the sump has been baffled
I don't thtink it's an exclusive Scooby problem - you could make a very long list of cars that don't enjoy 8-10 seconds every lap with all of the oil lapping against the left-hand side of their sump!
Old 18 Feb 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3206641)   #15
Wendy Wool
Rookie

Wendy Wool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
I don't thtink it's an exclusive Scooby problem - you could make a very long list of cars that don't enjoy 8-10 seconds every lap with all of the oil lapping against the left-hand side of their sump!
They seem to survive at Teretonga OK!
Old 18 Feb 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3206645)   #16
Alpina107
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Wool View Post
They seem to survive at Teretonga OK!
Maybe they are ok turning to the left, the same way that Hampton Downs T1 would have been, if they didn't swap directions during the design/approval phase.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3206810)   #17
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
It was T1 that caused most of the carnage this weekend for the ST's.
If you believe everything allegedly said by a number of drivers and team owners (and I do), it wasn't the corner that caused the carnage, it was Heimgartner.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3206840)   #18
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
If you believe everything allegedly said by a number of drivers and team owners (and I do), it wasn't the corner that caused the carnage, it was Heimgartner.
Can he be engineered out?
Old 18 Feb 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3206854)   #19
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Can't ever blame the roads for carnage...
Old 19 Feb 2013, 06:06 (Ref:3207031)   #20
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Yes after reviewing the footage i have to agree. Seems that Heimgartner got a little bit carried away (maybe Morris has been rubbing off on him?)

Although in saying that, the series does seem to have its own 'Morris' in the form of Mitch Cunningham.....after R1 anyway. He had two drive thru's i think and wasn't to clever on the track.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3207082)   #21
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Yes after reviewing the footage i have to agree. Seems that Heimgartner got a little bit carried away (maybe Morris has been rubbing off on him?)

Although in saying that, the series does seem to have its own 'Morris' in the form of Mitch Cunningham.....after R1 anyway. He had two drive thru's i think and wasn't to clever on the track.
There were a few drive-throughs, eh? I was wondering if you get one for crossing over the yellow pit entry lines when coming onto the front straight?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3207152)   #22
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would you?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3207154)   #23
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Well I noticed most drivers didn't but a few did
Old 19 Feb 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3207166)   #24
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only ever been an issue if you are entering the pits and cross the line, otherwise it is considered part of the racing surface.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3207215)   #25
Alpina107
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Only ever been an issue if you are entering the pits and cross the line, otherwise it is considered part of the racing surface.
Yes and no.

The double yellow lines start a long way back and indicate the pitlane entry. About halfway along, a white line goes at an angle from the outside edge of the track across to the double yellow line. From what I've been told, you can be over/on the yellow line until the point where the white line crosses, but if you cross that white line or the second part of the yellow line, you'd better be going into the pits. Otherwise, you might end up driving the length of pitlane at 40 km/h.

That white/yellow intersection is very much the apex for cars on a fast lap, and it doesn't come into view until quite late because you have to climb the hill first. Many cars have taken an inside line up the hill, only to find themselves being squeezed towards pitlane - another small issue arising from the change in track direction. If you watch from the fence about 50m before the pedestrian tunnel, you'll see just how close most of them go. They get quite a good view of it from race control, but I doubt they have the resources to watch it every single lap, but you never know?