Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Jun 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3739723)   #26
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My question is anyone taking any extra precautions this year and does anyone know whether the exterior (ie Blue Nord) campsites will have better fencing/ perimeters?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jun 2017, 16:02 (Ref:3739724)   #27
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
And can I walk over the ditch with a crate of beer in hand!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jun 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3739730)   #28
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
My question is anyone taking any extra precautions this year...
I shall be buying beer in cans not bottles.

I think everyone needs to think about small things like not leaving your bag unattended when going to the bar or toilet, and understanding that the Cops will have less tolerance for tomfoolery on Mad Friday etc.

Otherwise I'm not changing my behaviour as that will allow the 'bad guys' to win.

(You make a good point about the extra fences, but equally they could be used to pen people into an area and make it harder to escape if there is an incident)
Old 19 Jun 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3745225)   #29
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
we talked to one of the security guards at Tertre Rouge entry and he said it was ok to bring bottles as long as they were not opened before.
We had managed to smuggle in 15 bottles of wine for home use before that, my experience was that they did not check all of the car (under the seats...)
It was also very easy to get our drinks for the tentenths meeting onto the general enclosure.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3745236)   #30
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We got stopped going to the meet and Mike's bottle had to be returned to the camp.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3745245)   #31
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
We got stopped going to the meet and Mike's bottle had to be returned to the camp.
For the first time, the day before the meeting, I filled a plastic bottle with the rosé. It was the right idea finally.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3745549)   #32
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Security was very tight getting in to Garage Vert, bloke as me to open the boot, pointed to a large bag, asked if that was my tent. When I said yes he said OK, carry on :-)
Old 20 Jun 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3745562)   #33
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Still plenty of glass bottles in the grandstands. Constant checks on entry (via car) and exits (via foot) of the campsites. But it's all pretty superficial really and they never looked too hard. All in all it didn't impact me at all and I wouldn't say it was any different to the last few years.

The airport-style rucksack and full body scan at the ferry terminal was a new one though.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3745757)   #34
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
next year you can use our tunnel under the fence....
Old 21 Jun 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3745776)   #35
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of our group was made to finish drinking the can of beer he was carrying at the checkpoint between Houx and the circuit proper.

No searches getting into the Epinettes campsite that I saw, but they would randomly ask to see your ticket when walking back into the site in the evening.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3745836)   #36
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The airport-style rucksack and full body scan at the ferry terminal was a new one though.
interested to hear more about that - which port and what was the thing?
Old 22 Jun 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3746020)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Searches were cursory on entrance to the circuit. The first day we were there (Tuesday) we were frisked and bags checked. After that, only a brief look in bags each time. AllonFS was quizzed about his can of 'Red Bull' substitute, but I believe that was only on account of his poor taste.......
Old 22 Jun 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3746054)   #38
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
interested to hear more about that - which port and what was the thing?
It was going out of Portsmouth on Tuesday morning. We just pulled in as normal under the big search hangar. And then there was a side office which had a mini bag scanner. Same as you get at some smaller airports I'd say. Then we took out phone, keys etc and handed them to the guy. And walked through a body scanner.

Didn't really take too much extra time and had the feel of a random check. The security guy knew we were going to Le Mans and was cheerful throughout.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3746948)   #39
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Absolutely zero checks getting into and out of Blue Nord and no checks at all getting into the circuit/ grandstand.
The only additions for us this year was a perimeter fence around the Blue Nord camping and a "security guard" (well he had the t-shirt on anyway!) wandering around the grandstand.
I had hoped there would have been more.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3746959)   #40
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Absolutely zero checks getting into and out of Blue Nord and no checks at all getting into the circuit/ grandstand.
The only additions for us this year was a perimeter fence around the Blue Nord camping and a "security guard" (well he had the t-shirt on anyway!) wandering around the grandstand.
I had hoped there would have been more.
There's a LOT more, it just isn't visible. There's a lot of plain clothes officers at these events, they just normally don't stand out. But if you watch the Manchester fund raising gig, there's really not many uniformed officers visible, but there's some rather old gentleman standing with serious faces in, in a crowd of screaming children. They stood out a bit

There will have been people who looked exactly like fans milling about at campsite entrances that wouldn't stand out, stuff like that. I didn't understand the scale of these things until I started my current job, and there's a lot of ex police and military working here.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3746981)   #41
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Slightly imbalanced security... at the entrance I normally use (by the tram stop at Antares/MM Arena) through the test no bag searches, Tues, Weds, bag searches (Tues wanted to check every pocket, Weds wanted to check bigger pocket - saw a large black metallic object - ok it had a fujifilm logo on it, and lots of wires and waved me through) Thurs & Sat no bag check at all. Notably there were no checks of cars entering via main entrance or technoparc tunnels at all. BUT! the big equipment and tour bus used by one TV company I work with had to be thoroughly searched at the football stadium before it could enter the TV compound (though err it was free to leave after the search and before entering the compound)...

During the race I saw tweets of heavy security in the village - did anyone see that?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3746994)   #42
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
During the race I saw tweets of heavy security in the village - did anyone see that?
Bag searches no, but looked to me like plenty of security people and armed police/soldiers around the place throughout the weekend.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3746999)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Certainly the security presence was significantly greater than I've ever seen before.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3747004)   #44
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Two soldiers with guns on them were patrolling around our meetup place on Saturday for most of the meetup.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3747007)   #45
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Certainly the security presence was significantly greater than I've ever seen before.
I agree with that - but my rucksack bag was not searched/ ask to be opened once. At the entrances by BN we were simply bleeped in and out without question/ review.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3747032)   #46
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree with that - but my rucksack bag was not searched/ ask to be opened once. At the entrances by BN we were simply bleeped in and out without question/ review.
If the French systems are anything like the UK, they'd have people watching and if you fit a certain profile (I know it's not PC, but it's how it's done), then you'll get stopped by some people who were wearing casual clothes.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3747344)   #47
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We saw the United Autosports truck getting a thorough check at Le Havre on the way home.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3747487)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the further info simmi - interested to compare it all to the short channel crossings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
We saw the United Autosports truck getting a thorough check at Le Havre on the way home.
alas, all race trucks get a thorough rinsing at the french cross channel ports. once they figure out there's a car on board you're gonna be in the shed until they've all had a good look and taken the relevant selfies