Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 Nov 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3473966)   #26
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reminds me of how we're treated during the standard Starbucks run on the way to the track in the morning, here in North America. The baristas wouldn't know us at all if we weren't wearing whites, whistles and all the usual paraphernalia.

Shelagh, I'm thinking of you and hoping you're doing all right. I think with all of us behind you (pushing, mostly, ) you'll be back out to a track at some point.
hugs
keke
Old 14 Nov 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3474403)   #27
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep up the fight Shelagh, you have the support of evry marshal I know
Old 14 Nov 2014, 05:12 (Ref:3474442)   #28
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson View Post
Keep up the fight Shelagh, you have the support of evry marshal I know
Does that get me a gold badge? I've not done anything much else but get ill, so has to be worth a try! (Always been a dream but never put the effort in to really earn one).
Old 14 Nov 2014, 05:19 (Ref:3474447)   #29
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First chemo today which involved some steroids, which is why I'm writing at some ungodly hour - can't sleep, even though I want to, thanks to the drugs. Nothing planned for Friday, though, so bed could be a good place to spend some of the day!

At least I am at home and no adverse reactions to keep me in the hospital. See, there is always a positive side to everything.
Old 14 Nov 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3474573)   #30
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Went to a Chinese takeaway in Ellesmere Port last week and a young woman drove up in a Beemer and came in wearing pyjamas, fluffy dressing gown and slippers. Classy, ah!
3 series I assume. Can't imagine it was a 2002 tii.
Old 14 Nov 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3474576)   #31
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sending good vibes your way Shelagh. Hope the chemo does not give you too much hassle. It's been a long time since we marshalled a post together, but just remember those good times. Look forward to seeing you at a circuit next year - you know you can do it
Old 16 Nov 2014, 04:54 (Ref:3475288)   #32
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Bob: remember sitting in a caravan at Rockingham Indycars? Good times that I hope to get back to. I just seem to sleep all the time at the moment, which is why I'm up early doors doing stuff like this having been in bed most of yesterday after shopping wore me out. I think it is just the pressure on the head where I've had the surgery that wakes me up. I leave Bill in peace so I don't disturb his slumbers.

Thank goodness for Paracetamol and Ibuprofen! And Nivea, 'cos I have developed a rash. Now, how do I earn money for advertising these things?
Old 16 Nov 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3475411)   #33
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct. Black with non-standard wheels (the car, not the girl!).
Old 17 Nov 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3475849)   #34
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
non-standard wheels
Square shaped ?

Not sure if I'm refering to the car or the girl !!
Old 30 Nov 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3480129)   #35
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shame I didn't get to meet up with Steve and Laura when I was packed off to my Mum's for a couple of nights so Bill could go to a funeral without leaving me "home alone". My "Evacuee Trip" as a friend described it.

The joys(!) of not being able to drive, so you depend on others and can't do what you want, although the 1st Class train travel was excellent and Virgin sorted out assistance for getting me on and off the train (on the way back, once I'd found out about it and telephoned - all free). They have had a thank you.

Blue badge has now been applied for.

And the head has finally started to improve! I'm still sleeping all hours, going to bed and then waking up early, only to go back to bed 'til late but at least the "concrete bowling ball" is feeling less like one!

Watch out! Shelagh is almost feeling human again!
Old 30 Nov 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3480281)   #36
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
remember sitting in a caravan at Rockingham Indycars?
Why weren't you on post?!

Quote:
Good times that I hope to get back to.
+1

But don't care.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 03:58 (Ref:3480569)   #37
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Why weren't you on post?!
Ha Ha! That made me smile. And thank you for the good wishes.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 04:02 (Ref:3487309)   #38
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Went to see the Nurse at the hospital - who had obviously been briefed by the PigLady and did her job of "bringing everything home" to me.

Lots of tissues later (cupboard was full of boxes of them), I am determined to really enjoy this Christmas. The "kids" aren't kids anymore (one has a kid of his own) but I can't let things spoil it for them, or the parents, or Bill, or me!

So, tears have been dried up and we are going to "rock'n'roll" - although with the balance thingy, "roll" is probably the best description! Will see most of the extended family on Boxing Day so that's something to look forward to.

Trying to give away my (2-piece) overalls through Eric Ridler and the Northern Outpost. I wanted them to go to a "local" home (as I originally marshalled at Oulton Park) but not heard anything yet (wrong time of year) so keep watching this space. You never know.

Bless you all, have a great holidays. And I will be back! As you all should know - you don't get rid of me that easily.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3487442)   #39
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bless you all, have a great holidays. And I will be back! As you all should know - you don't get rid of me that easily.
Same to you - enjoy.

You'd better be!

Easy? You?

But don't care.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 22:11 (Ref:3487507)   #40
Paul Newns
Veteran

Hope you all have a good Christmas. 2014 has been a s""" year for you and you deserve a bit of fun.

You'd better get back to a circuit some time. I miss you being around.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3487519)   #41
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I should think not. All good wishes to you and Bill.

Jim
xx
Old 29 Jan 2015, 03:37 (Ref:3498541)   #42
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Got called back in to see PigLady as she'd had scan results through. We were expecting a lot worse than we got, ie being admitted for an operation!

Not brilliant news: they want to investigate it having possibly gone to my sternum and ribs and liver function is a bit on the high side so chemo has been stopped - hormone tablets instead. Got to have radiotherapy for the brain as that is also not looking so good, so will have to have a "mask" made: might donate that to the BRDC collection when it is finished with! We were shown a couple and they are pretty scary! And I'll lose my hair again, apparently! This will be the third time and I still refuse to get a wig. My Mum is going to knit me a soft hat as this time I will have head scars to hide.

But I've re-started the steroids, which is why I'm up doing this because I had to take the first dose quite late and they keep you awake! So, old "chipmunk cheeks" will be back but I hope to start eating again and, if it stops the head from hurting, then I'll take anything!

And "PigLady" is moving on, so I'm being "taken over" by a "PigMan"!!!!!

Not sure when the radiotherapy will start but it can be very debilitating, so that is definitely me over and done with at the race tracks. BUT, I've found a home for the overalls - just got to find the "get up and do" to post them off!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 08:34 (Ref:3498592)   #43
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stay strong and posative Shelagh. Your friends in the Orange Army are all wishing you well. XX

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 18:47 (Ref:3498826)   #44
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, what Mike said. It makes me sad to hear you're still going through such a rotten time. Very best wishes to you and Bill.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3498904)   #45
Paul Newns
Veteran

I was wondering yesterday what was happening with you as we haven't heard anything recently. So sorry it's not better news. Not a good time to lose your hair, it's a bit chilly in Staffordshire at the moment! Hope you keep your spirits up. I honestly don't know how you keep smiling sometimes. I'm certain I wouldn't be able to. Thoughts are with you as always.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3498987)   #46
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Paul - if you don't keep smiling then you curl up in a corner and cry and I'm not prepared to do that.

When this all started, I got only good news which helped when it all started going pear-shaped. It is all "luck of the draw" so there's not much you can do, is there?

Some people would keep this to themselves, some people would do Facebook etc... Well, this is my support system and thank you all for that support. Much appreciated.

As well for my now husband. Weather is rubbish at the moment so I'm very much trapped indoors unless he takes me out - but I can't always make it to the car if it is too slippery underfoot!

Steroids are kicking in so appetite is improving as a result. That can only be a good thing. There's always a positive if you look for it.
Old 2 Feb 2015, 14:06 (Ref:3500093)   #47
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
As others have said, just try to stay positive Shelagh, and you know where we are...
Old 2 Feb 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3500213)   #48
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
As others have said, just try to stay positive Shelagh, and you know where we are...
But she does not spectate too well, would rather be out playing with flags and laughing and gossiping with her orange friends.
Old 2 Feb 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3500215)   #49
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
But she does not spectate too well, would rather be out playing with flags and laughing and gossiping with her orange friends.
Or 'observer' as we used to call it
Old 2 Feb 2015, 23:10 (Ref:3500293)   #50
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The internet has, deservedly, a reputation as being a place where people who don't know each other can say mean things with (almost) impunity. Which is a shame, but reality.

However, it is also a place where people from all over the world can discuss and enjoy each other's experiences, tales, and humour - and share in their trials. I've not been at Ten Tenths very long, and am certainly not part of the UK marshalling crowd who hangs out in this corner of the forum, but nevertheless I've enjoyed reading and hearing about some of your experiences.

And so, Shelagh, I hope it's not inappropriate to wish you all the best, from the other side of the proverbial pond, even though we've never met.

Best,
Richard (sometime motorsport fan, avid photographer, occasional Ten-Tenths poster).
Closed Thread