Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Jan 2015, 15:35 (Ref:3495983)   #51
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
The information I have seen was that "insurance only" paper forms, emails or online was no longer required.
"seen" where? Whenever I've sent mine I have had a conformation email but no indication that it was no longer necessary

But don't care.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3498463)   #52
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, used it for my volunteering and it seems really efficient and simple to use. I'd like to be able to filter on circuit rather than area but that's a minor point. I do like that I can choose the duty I want by meeting - that's a real bonus - as is not having to add all my details for each different club.

As a regular hill climb marshal it would be useful if speed events were on there as well. How would the clubs/chiefs get their meetings added in future years?
Old 29 Jan 2015, 08:23 (Ref:3498587)   #53
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are various enhancements planned - searching by circuit / adding in other disciplines (hill climbs / karting / rallying) etc. and these will be advised as they have been tested and rolled out.

With regards to NW dates - as stated beyond September there are question marks. Plenty of time to have them sorted out!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 08:29 (Ref:3498590)   #54
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the ability to volunteer as Incident Officer be added as well?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 09:23 (Ref:3498609)   #55
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it. For me it's really useful being able to see the circuits I go to all together. It makes it easier to spot date clashes, though the decisions about which meeting to do are still as tricky .

Probably asking a bit much but are there any plans to add a bit more detail for the meetings ? E.g. just BRSCC doesn't tell me much, it might be an interesting meeting or one of the dreaded Fun Cup thingies. I know the information is out there somewhere but I'm lazy enough to hope to find it all in one place .

Steve
Old 29 Jan 2015, 10:15 (Ref:3498626)   #56
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
Will the ability to volunteer as Incident Officer be added as well?
If a role which your grade allows you to volunteer for is not visible then it is likely that your grade is incorrect on the system - please contact Steve Malec accordingly
Old 29 Jan 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3498627)   #57
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
Probably asking a bit much but are there any plans to add a bit more detail for the meetings ? E.g. just BRSCC doesn't tell me much, it might be an interesting meeting or one of the dreaded Fun Cup thingies. I know the information is out there somewhere but I'm lazy enough to hope to find it all in one place .

Steve
If the person uploading the event has been given this information then it can be added as well.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 14:18 (Ref:3498709)   #58
Pitsmarion
Rookie

Guernsey
Huntingdon
Pitsmarion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done most of my volunteering through the organising clubs, so have used the BMMC site mainly for registering for insurance. Does anyone know what I do for insurance registration if the event is not on the site? It seems mainly to be speed events that are not there, as Woolly mentioned earlier. Is there another contact point I should use?
Other than that I really liked using the new site - nice and simple and no longer have to duplicate information when volunteering in different regions.
Thanks BMMC IT team - great improvement on the previous system!!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3498731)   #59
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitsmarion View Post
Does anyone know what I do for insurance registration if the event is not on the site? It seems mainly to be speed events that are not there, as Woolly mentioned earlier. Is there another contact point I should use?
I would assume it's still your regional Competition Secretary.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3498825)   #60
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl View Post
There are various enhancements planned - searching by circuit / adding in other disciplines (hill climbs / karting / rallying) etc. and these will be advised as they have been tested and rolled out.

With regards to NW dates - as stated beyond September there are question marks. Plenty of time to have them sorted out!
Forgot to say in my original post - well done. It's really good and has made a definite improvement to the experience of sorting out the season. Combined with the forms available on Julian's site it's been much easier than previously.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 19:09 (Ref:3498836)   #61
EmileNaus
Rookie

United Kingdom
EmileNaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First use today, and it all seems pretty straightforward. It is really easy to use and it helps to see the events you have volunteered for. I like the details that are displayed by the events (incl contact details).
There are some events still missing, but I am sure that will be sorted.

For future updates - it would be nice to have more filters (for instance by track), and maybe to put the active events (those already volunteered for) at the top of the list.

Great move, and thanks to everyone who helped with this!
Old 30 Jan 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3499153)   #62
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
"seen" where? Whenever I've sent mine I have had a conformation email but no indication that it was no longer necessary
I always used to e-mail a list, but when I did so at the start of last season I had an e-mailed reply from BMMC saying it was no longer necessary. Sorry I can't remember from whom it came (might have been Paul Sutcliffe?) and due to incompetence on my part I've lost the e-mail reply.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3499200)   #63
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The information I have seen was that "insurance only" paper forms, emails or online was no longer required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke View Post
I always used to e-mail a list, but when I did so at the start of last season I had an e-mailed reply from BMMC saying it was no longer necessary. Sorry I can't remember from whom it came (might have been Paul Sutcliffe?) and due to incompetence on my part I've lost the e-mail reply.
Took some digging but this is what was included in the region's newsletter at the start of last year

For Insurance, prior notification is not
mandatory. As long as you have volunteered
to a club and have signed on (essential for
MSA and club insurance) the insurance is
applicable. The only exception is for the
overseas repatriation cover, which is subject
to an annual premium (see BMMC website
for details and procedure). This means the
insurance only forms do not need to be sent
to me.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3499210)   #64
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl View Post
If a role which your grade allows you to volunteer for is not visible then it is likely that your grade is incorrect on the system - please contact Steve Malec accordingly
Ok then, a query you may have insight into.

Experienced Marshal and Flag Marshal are two grades held separately by a marshal (as per the MSA).

The system allows me to volunteer as a Trainee PC presumably due to me being an Experienced Marshal (because there is no upgrade from Flag to PC) however the system does not allow me to volunteer as a Trainee IO which is something I should be able to do from Experienced.

It's getting there.... and when some of the functionality, usability and cosmetic changes I have suggested are made it will be further on towards being a good system.

Dave
Old 30 Jan 2015, 18:28 (Ref:3499213)   #65
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It also needs to have an SSL certificate. Login with username and password in the clear? No thanks.

And yes, I have emailed Eric about that (and a couple of other things). IT security being part of my job, and all that.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3499246)   #66
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It also needs to have an SSL certificate. Login with username and password in the clear? No thanks.

And yes, I have emailed Eric about that (and a couple of other things). IT security being part of my job, and all that.
SSL certificates have been updated.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 10:07 (Ref:3499394)   #67
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Currently my database has up to date info about who is expected to turn up at 750 meetings as I update as soon as they volunteer through me. Those via Julian,'s site come soon after they volunteer and many BMMC areas used to forward to me quickly. This allowed me to get a warm feeling that we were comfortably covered as the year progresses.
If many volunteer through this system and I don't get names until a few weeks before I will be ignorant of any potential manning problems until late and will have a high workload as soon as I have these names as I will have go enter details so tickets etc are sent.

I guess we will have to talk about getting regular progress info for organisers
Old 31 Jan 2015, 10:20 (Ref:3499395)   #68
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds a bit unfair hopefully, if you contact them and explain they could change the way you receive notification
Old 31 Jan 2015, 10:39 (Ref:3499397)   #69
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding View Post
Currently my database has up to date info about who is expected to turn up at 750 meetings as I update as soon as they volunteer through me. Those via Julian,'s site come soon after they volunteer and many BMMC areas used to forward to me quickly. This allowed me to get a warm feeling that we were comfortably covered as the year progresses.
If many volunteer through this system and I don't get names until a few weeks before I will be ignorant of any potential manning problems until late and will have a high workload as soon as I have these names as I will have go enter details so tickets etc are sent.

I think many clubs will be in the same position with regards to how much info they will receive and when. The system seems to have closing dates two weeks before an event....I do hope CMs get info before then.

Peter, it may be worth having a chat with Chris H or Chris W at BMMC to see how best to sort this.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 14:21 (Ref:3499458)   #70
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding View Post

An obvious update would be that if the chief marshal logs on to a meeting he can see who's volunteered for it.

What I like is that this has been done well in the first place, so pretty much the only comments are on how to make it even better. I'm already sold on it being the way forward.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 15:23 (Ref:3499476)   #71
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
An obvious update would be that if the chief marshal logs on to a meeting he can see who's volunteered for it.

What I like is that this has been done well in the first place, so pretty much the only comments are on how to make it even better. I'm already sold on it being the way forward.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 17:30 (Ref:3499498)   #72
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This worked very well in the NW last year. It's only January, so there will still be bits and pieces to sort before mid March.

This has been created and maintained by volunteer marshals, who have put a lot of time and effort in to its launch, so a big thanks goes to them.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3499509)   #73
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Noble View Post

This has been created and maintained by volunteer marshals, who have put a lot of time and effort in to its launch, so a big thanks goes to them.
I believe an external company were paid for the system.

But yes there has been a lot of effort by some members to get this far.

The questions over how far in advance the clubs/CMs see any volunteering info are a concern. After all if it doesn't help them then it doesn't really help us.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3499519)   #74
Heardy1982
Rookie

Heardy1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep again echo what others have said overall very good from a marshals point of view and I am sure the few little niggles will be ironed out in due course.
I work for an organisation that uses online rota system and that has a lot of issues despite being in for many years so to launch a website with these few little issues only is an achievement in itself It is only when a system goes live on a large scale that you notice them and the fact others on here are only making small suggestions that is a very good sign. I am sure others would agree that a bit worrying CMs only know 2 weeks in advanced but I am sure that is an easy fix.
Old 31 Jan 2015, 23:10 (Ref:3499569)   #75
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
Quote:
Ok then, a query you may have insight into.

Experienced Marshal and Flag Marshal are two grades held separately by a marshal (as per the MSA).

The system allows me to volunteer as a Trainee PC presumably due to me being an Experienced Marshal (because there is no upgrade from Flag to PC) however the system does not allow me to volunteer as a Trainee IO which is something I should be able to do from Experienced.

Dave
and as if by magic..... the option now appears