Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2002, 20:36 (Ref:333815)   #1
Seveer
Rookie

Seveer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart vs F1

In a couple of weeks the Fed-Ex Cart series will race on the F1 circuit in Montreal. I was just curious as to what to expect..Who will be faster Cart or F1? Should be interesting. Is there any other track both Series run on? I can't seem to think of one.

Quote:
Blame Canada!
Old 14 Jul 2002, 20:50 (Ref:333831)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1, and nope.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 20:55 (Ref:333837)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope CART and there isn't another one.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 21:52 (Ref:333870)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is faster, and there isn't another one. But 99% sure CART's race will be more exciting
Old 14 Jul 2002, 23:21 (Ref:333916)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take away the safety car periods...on the road circuits, and you'd see many of the excitement gone from CART.

F1. Silverstone is great to watch, and besides on track action, F1 is interesting during its offs. And let the Carties clamber their way around. F1 is still my choice!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 00:31 (Ref:333936)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bet you'd change your mind if you went to an F1 event and then a Cart event...

The cars won't be as fast as F1 for a number of reasons. Different forumla desinged to be competitive on ovals, turbocharged engines, the formula isn't as strong as it has been. But, it's still the closest you will get to F1 in terms of speed around any roadcourse.

Cart's coming out of a bit of a rough period, and the formula isn't as competitive as it has been. A year or two ago it was so competitive that even without pace car periods the entire field would run nose to gearbox for most of the race. Cart is trying to ensure it will be like this next year again. Likely it will be...

It may not be as grand as it would have in 1999, but I guarantee a more entertaining race than this year's Canadian GP.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 15 Jul 2002, 01:32 (Ref:333953)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 will be faster, and it would be fantastic to watch CART go round Brands Hatch.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 07:26 (Ref:334029)   #8
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 will be quicker.. not nessasarily faster...but the CART race will be more fun to be at or watch..hands down...Love F1...but it needs to get its act togethger before it self-destructs.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 07:35 (Ref:334032)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
F1 will be faster, and it would be fantastic to watch CART go round Brands Hatch.
Well, that hasn't happened, nor will it ever, but in 1978, the USAC Indycar series visit Brands Hatch, using the 'Indy' circuit, hence the name.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 09:11 (Ref:334114)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well DNQ, there is always hope!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 09:20 (Ref:334123)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Cart's coming out of a bit of a rough period,
I hope this is true.

The F1 cars will be faster. They have similar power, but are lighter and have better brakes and more downforce.

I enjoyed Canada this year, it was very exciting and, unfortunately, this year CART isn't producing the excitement it once did. So I think The F1 race will be more exciting. I'll be watching so hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 09:30 (Ref:334127)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason canada usually gives us a good race in F1 most years . But i still expect Cart to give us all a better entertainment . I cant ever see Cart and F1 running on any more of the same circuits , as Bernie might get a tad embarressed of the direct competition . Afterall , Cart is usually very entertaining .
Old 15 Jul 2002, 10:31 (Ref:334140)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The CART race at Montreal is I think going round the circuit in the opposite direction, but the timing comparison will still be interesting. As people seem unanimous on, the F1 cars will be faster, but the CART racign will be more exciting with much closer action.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 11:01 (Ref:334152)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It would be great to have a CART race on Mt. Panorama.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 15 Jul 2002, 11:34 (Ref:334171)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

The F1 cars will be faster. They have similar power, but are lighter and have better brakes and more downforce.
Also quicker gearboxes and stickier tires, plus power steering which makes it less physical over a period of time.
With the amount of development that goes into an F1 car they better be quicker.
As for the race, I fully expect CART to put on a great show; the circuit Gilles Villeneuve is built for good racing just like the man himself. As a RACE fan I plan on enjoying every minute of it just as I enjoy every minute of F1. None of this CART vs. F1 for me, I want them both!
I'm GREEDY!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 15 Jul 2002, 12:11 (Ref:334189)   #16
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
It would be great to have a CART race on Mt. Panorama.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Too cool. With ya on that one.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 13:16 (Ref:334243)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder how many will crash in the wall before the pit straight...
Old 15 Jul 2002, 13:20 (Ref:334246)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
The CART race at Montreal is I think going round the circuit in the opposite direction...
I don't think you're right. I've attached a pic from CART's website, and it shows the direction. Plus, how on earth whould they handle the pits?

I think it should be very exciting. While the cars have higher top-end than F1, F1's aero grip, lower weight and better brakes ensure higher cornering speeds. And if anything has been learned about racing since the late 60's, it's all about cornering speed.

That said, I believe the average Montreal CART race will be way more interesting than the average Montreal F1 race. 2002 was an unusually exciting F1 race, so it'll be tough to compare just yet. Wait a few years, we'll see who provides the more exciting race on average.
Attached Images

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jul 2002, 17:14 (Ref:334372)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I would think it's safe to say that the F1 cars will turn quicker lap times on any circuit with right-hand turns. But that's not to say that they will have the highest top-end speeds on the straights.

I doubt if the CART pole time would make the 107% rule.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 17:20 (Ref:334376)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Cart are using the same circuit direction as the F1 boys . It will be interesting to get a good comparison between the 2 series .
Old 15 Jul 2002, 18:09 (Ref:334408)   #21
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been thinking about this one for awhile now. After reading the above posts, I'm just hoping they use the same EVERYTHING as the F1 guys. I think the F1 cars will be quicker. I just want to see the NUMBERS.

Last edited by rollhoop; 15 Jul 2002 at 18:09.