Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 8 Sep 2003, 13:57 (Ref:711849)   #1
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grease monkeys

Just a nod in the direction of the race engineer and his loyal band of oilstained compadres at Panther racing. Wot a great little team they are and speaking as a time served, dermititis suffering vehicle technician(dont call me mechanic dude) I gotta give a mention to these largely unsung heroes of the torque wrench and valve spring compressor. Great work greasy fellas!
IMHO Hornish was out of order in the way he left Panther without telling them his move to Penske was a done deal until after the contract had been signed. Lets hope its not a decision that will come back to haunt him next season if Panther take the 500.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 14:41 (Ref:711892)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there are two big reasons to why he decided to leave; 1) Penske is, after all, Penske and 2) Penske has a solid NASCAR connection. It's no secret Hornish would like to try stock-cars at one point, whether it's a full-time career change or the odd race (like for example the Daytona 500), and Penske can provide that opportunity

Personally I'd love to see Hornish give the 2004 Daytona 500 a try
Old 8 Sep 2003, 14:57 (Ref:711920)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a previous post I poited pout that Sam, after 3 years as david, now prefers to switch to Goliath role.
Though it will have all the conditions to win, and make much more money, he'll surely no more have the same emotion, of beating the big fish with a small team, which is on the other hand filled with smart people.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:15 (Ref:712014)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Panther win the 500? Don't amke me laugh. They're one of the better teams who didn't switch over, but it's only Sam's brilliance that's kept them in the fray.

I doubt anyone would've rejected that offer of moving from David to Goliath status, and having a realistic chance of winning the title again before going NASCAR, where teh fame, adulation, and challenge (and money) is.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 19:16 (Ref:712229)   #5
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boots, I know you don't mean that.
Panther will win the 500 sometime soon but without Sam IMHO.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 22:29 (Ref:712440)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It reminds me of Greg Moore. Greg was interested in NASCAR as well as being followed by F1 teams, and the move to Penske might have seen Greg instead of Ryan Newman in that car. But we know why it didn't happen.

B/Mark, I take it you think Mark Taylor is gonna win the 500 for Panther... well, if someone has to, he's a pretty fast guy.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 06:28 (Ref:712665)   #7
oily oaf
Racer

Some of us are not paying attention. I didn't say Hornish was neccessarily wrong in his switch to Penske after all we all have the right to make what we perceive as career enhancing decisions. What leaves a sour taste in the mouth is the manner in which Hornish presented Panther with a fait accompli without giving the guys who worked their asses off to make him so succsessful the chance to put in a counter offer or at least discuss the move with him.
As for Boot's assertion that Panther wont win at Indy, you are obviously blessed with the gift of second sight in which case who do you like in the 2.30 at Kempton and any time I feel inclined to make you laugh I'll tell you a joke mate.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 06:32 (Ref:712668)   #8
oily oaf
Racer

PS The David and Goliath analogy doesnt quite cut the mustard either, as I remember it Goliath ended up with a good old fashioned ass kicking.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 07:58 (Ref:712746)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
heheheh , yes but you have a way with words Oily

I hadnt considered the option of Panther being a little bitter , but I guess on track performances are not suffering as Sam took a great win at Chicago
Old 9 Sep 2003, 08:12 (Ref:712772)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, oily oaf, we don't know whether Sam presented them with a fait accompli: who knows? maybe they have negociated for months, or, as well, he told them about his decision to change with good advance, even before receiving an offer from Penske...
Old 9 Sep 2003, 08:15 (Ref:712777)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ohh stop putting all these new thoughts into my head , im getting really confused

I guess the end result is that he is going and it is a step in the right direction in my opinion.

i just hope Panther can get a good driver in the seat to replace him and maybe even a second car.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:17 (Ref:713125)   #12
oily oaf
Racer

Ah but we do know Climb my Italian friend as it is common knowledge amonst the Indy racing fraternity and was in fact mentioned by Larry Rice in the race commentary on Sunday that John Barnes the team boss at Panther and a man who commands great repect in IRL circles having worked with amonst others Mario Andretti, Al Unser, Bobby Unser and Johnny Parsons was extemely p****d off by the underhand manner of Sam's departure.
I should therefore like to reiterate my humble opinion that a man and indeed a team such as this deserve a little more respect than was shown by young Mr Hornish who IMHO will go on to be one of the greats drivers of all time if not one of the most respected.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:37 (Ref:713148)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I can see Barron winning Indy for Panther, if they have the wit to sign him.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 19:22 (Ref:713496)   #14
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thomas Enge gets to test tomorrow!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 19:36 (Ref:713505)   #15
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thomas Enge? That's interesting...
Old 10 Sep 2003, 02:19 (Ref:713722)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
wow , Enge is going to test ???

will be good to see what he is capable of.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 03:41 (Ref:713740)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he'll do just fine. I would expect him to do fine in any series.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 09:15 (Ref:713909)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He might find it harder than he's expecting though, especvially if he ends up as the only Panther driver, consdiering that he has no oval experience. Kenny Brack was winning races quickly, but the competiton level was very different then. If a CART ride come sup I'd rather see him take that, and Barron the IRL one.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 03:01 (Ref:714623)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
as a side note Happy birthday Mr. Enge
Old 11 Sep 2003, 22:02 (Ref:715684)   #20
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Enge have a some type of drug suspension in F1?
Old 11 Sep 2003, 22:13 (Ref:715694)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was caught using some kind of drugs last year, in F3000. He was stripped of the championship and was banned from (I think) all FIA-sanctioned open wheel events for one year.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 11 Sep 2003 at 22:19.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 02:24 (Ref:715810)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I believe it was Marijuana.

I dont know the details so I wont speculate on anything , just a shame for a yopung guy like Enge to do something like that.

but I hope he does well in the test.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 02:57 (Ref:715828)   #23
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he is a young guy and everyone deserves a second chance. As long as him and Scheckter don't become roomies everything should be fine
Old 12 Sep 2003, 03:40 (Ref:715856)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow I actually agree with rush1... being punished for something as petty as marijuana is just plain stupid. He's a very quick driver, has been great in ALMS, and I'm sure he'd do fine in open-wheel. Obviously I'd prefer he'd stay in road/street racing though.

Last edited by Jay; 12 Sep 2003 at 03:40.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:33 (Ref:716139)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I think it was a compeltely ridiculous punishment, and it always struck me as ironic that his team was sponsored by a vodka manufacturer. I'm quite pro-legalisation on maruijana anyway, and I think the suspension was way OTT. Hopefully he can establish himself a top career of some form.