Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Aug 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3844407)   #2296
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised you buy through a french website though. Do they sell side bumpers together with mudguards? Something like two mudguards bought, one side bumper free!
Grant, I've been told by US chaps that WD could help preserve your knees almost as new, no need o consider a rebuild. Not tested yet…
Old 18 Aug 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3844433)   #2297
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Surprised you buy through a french website though. Do they sell side bumpers together with mudguards? Something like two mudguards bought, one side bumper free!
Grant, I've been told by US chaps that WD could help preserve your knees almost as new, no need o consider a rebuild. Not tested yet…
WD40 Gerard?

Hmm.

I used some the other day. Both of my spray cans seem to have rather leaky outlets so I ended up with hands covered in the stuff. No positive results noticed in terms of improved articulation. In fact the opposite today although I do not claim any causation.

I do have a protector for the rear gearset on bike. I think it has been useful once or twice over the years.

Looking around on the internet last night I noticed how seemingly sophisticated (and expensive) some of the braking systems have become.

The best brake I can remember having on a bike was my first "proper" bike at age 8 or 9 iirc (I was still using it when I left school).

Bought in Germany it had only a single gear ratio but a back-pedal brake which was brilliant and great fun for skids.

The tyres were some sort of beige coloured rubber-like material and quite wide compared to a typical British bike but lasted quite a long time - I never saw a need to try to change them. That was despite running a friction dynamo for the lights against the side wall of the front tyre.

Front brake was a joke - a rubber block that acted directly onto the tyre are it passed through the forks. But then with such a great rear brake it was hardly of any concern.

Presumably back-pedal brake technology is not compatible with any form of multiple gear ratios?

Ah, memories, memories.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 16:54 (Ref:3844476)   #2298
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
20160827_122608.jpg  
Old 18 Aug 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3844478)   #2299
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That seat appears mightily uncomfortable!
Old 18 Aug 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3844479)   #2300
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is but I changed it for a gel seat.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:31 (Ref:3844888)   #2301
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodwood bike repair 2018 c.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	51777Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodwood bike repair 2018 b.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	51778Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodwood bike repair 2018.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	51779
Eat your heart out Mike Bell, Alan Morgan, Burble Bob. Here is my Goodwood bike all fixed and ready to go. Even the KERS works.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:08 (Ref:3844899)   #2302
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I recently built this up from a frame and forks . . . John Spooner was a Peugeot Bike dealer in Worthing and made his own frame and forks as well . . . this ones #136 of around 180 he made before retiring in the late 80's. The shops still there and has been a bike shop for over 100 years. Reynold 531 tubing and Cinelli lugs, and I collected a Campagnolo group set for it as well.

and another little summer project recently completed. I must get back onto my winter project!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3860.JPG   IMG_4245.JPG  

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 20 Aug 2018 at 09:46.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3844901)   #2303
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
GP200?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3844902)   #2304
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes Peter, an early Indian one, upgraded with a long rod stroked crank, reed valve induction, 30mm Dellorto, big bore exhaust and electronic ignition . .about 20 BHP. A hydraulic outboard front disc brake also seemed like a wise move!

I can't seem to turn the bike photo round . . . perhaps when Mike wakes up he can do it
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3844904)   #2305
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lots of Vespas here. Always hankered after a SS180.

Photo done.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3844906)   #2306
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had assumed, wrongly so it seems, that the photos were intentionally posted as they were so as to demonstrate to our Southern Hemisphere readers that the bikes would be compatible in their countries when we can no longer export our tat to Europe.

Silly me!
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3844908)   #2307
zefarelly
Veteran

England
I had an SS180 for a few months whilst building a GP in the mid 90's ( they were cheap then!) nice smooth bike to ride, reasonably quick, scary understeer if you tried pressing on . . . . and tiptoe in the wet!
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3844917)   #2308
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Last one I rode in the 70s had no brakes. That was even scarier.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3845372)   #2309
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Seeing as we seem to have more cycle projects than cars, here’s mine-

Think I’ve had the frame 18 years, and so far it’s progressed to gaining a headset, forks and stem..... It’s an Ibis, hand made in ti by a bunch of cool dudes on the US West coast. They shut up shop a few years later, then the name was sold and the new Ibis started marketing carbon bikes made in the Far East to their spec. I see now they are now back to making them in CA, which is nice.....

My ‘old clunker’ MTB is also a titanium Ibis, complete with ti stem and bars. I’ve kept the spec period although when I first built it up in ‘96 it had previous model RockShox forks. A few years ago I had to have new wheels as the rims were worn though, but managed to get a Mavic set built up pretty close to the original. Needless to say the bike is kept secured at all times when not being ridden!
Attached Thumbnails
9A4D241D-1CA6-45B9-AA70-5FA84D62CF96.jpeg   6444EC9F-9E08-4F27-9873-E8D24439B9E8.jpeg  
Old 22 Aug 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3845418)   #2310
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, are you sure your bike is kept secured when you ride it? Really?