Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Sep 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3847835)   #91
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So what about all the other people in industry who think Brexit is a car crash? Are they wrong , their judgment flawed ?
Old 3 Sep 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3847837)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nope, their opinions are just as valid.

However the vote was to leave so instead of whining they should get on with sorting things out. The arguments have been the reason why nobody knows what's happening.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3847846)   #93
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Nope, their opinions are just as valid.

However the vote was to leave so instead of whining they should get on with sorting things out. The arguments have been the reason why nobody knows what's happening.
I agree Peter. I admit that I personally voted to stay in but accept that wasn't the majority decision. So, out it is let's stop fannying about and get on with it.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3847928)   #94
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"If France had held an EU referendum it "probably" would have been the same result" French President Emmanuel Macron tells to Andrew Marr, BBC.
Probably the reason why we've not been asked.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3847936)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally? I think it's sad that what we all wanted became a monster we can't control.

The perfect world would have us all trading and enjoying each other's country without the need for free movement.

We could also enjoy terading elsewhere without being told that only approved countries could trade with us.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3847939)   #96
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I think all this is far beyond what I can understand.

May be an important thing is that no one around me considers buying racing cars and spares and often labour from other sources they actually use. All located in England.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3847941)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
My point exactly.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3850368)   #98
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
coming very late to this thread.

Carnets could be interesting.

Several years ago I drove a landrover from UK to Cape Town via various countries. Crossing most borders really was pretty easy with a Carnet for the vehicle, and it was a case of being disciplined and ensuring that the carnet/vehicle was always stamped properly in/out of each country ,with no mistakes made so as to avoid problems (one exception: word of advice NEVER try to take a vehicle in or out of Eygpt, 12 hours at border going in, 13 hours going out - just mentioning in case anyone wants a Cairo grand Prix).......anyway I feel sure that these days carnets are equally easy to get and to use.

That said, back then the choice was either to lodge a deposit equalling the value of the vehicle with the RAC (carnet issuer) , or alternatively it was possible to take out an insurance policy to cover the eventuality should the vehicle be left in a country and therefore deemed to be imported with duties payable.I cannot recall the costs etc but obviously it was based on a worst case situation and the highest duties that could be incurred , and so it depended on which countries were being visited.

I dont know what people do to take their cars to Sebring or Daytona these days?? presumably a carnet is required?

Anyway, crossing the channel with or without a carnet will not faze me at all.....................
Old 15 Sep 2018, 20:38 (Ref:3850413)   #99
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just for clarification, the carnet Pomracer refered to for the Landrover is probably a CPD Carnet (https://www.carseurope.net/carnet-de...n-douanes-cpd/) which are effectively vehicle passports and are not for commercial movements.

Taking racecars & professional equipment abroad would require the use of ATA Carnets (https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-...-an-ata-carnet) and it may be a version of one of these that would be needed for European excursions after the end of March depending on what agreement is reached.

We're still none the wiser in the business!
Old 16 Sep 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3850566)   #100
pomracer
Racer

Thanks - yes correct it was a Carnet de Passage.

so the potential difficulties would come down to which type of carnet may be required.

My gut says that taking my (historic GTS period F) race car (road registered) to Europe post brexit to compete in, for example Tour Auto or Modena Cento Ore, should not be too difficult, but I appreciate the possible hurdles faced by motor racing as a whole.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3850574)   #101
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I don't think the getting of the carnets is much of an issue, the problem, or hassle, lies more with having to leave motorways to go through a border crossing to get them stamped although my memory fades from the 70s as to whether we only got a stamp at the channel port and didn't bother at each border we crossed.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3850580)   #102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's all a bit vague but wasn't there something called TIR which meant it dealt with everything at the crossing. And only Spain and Portugal needed separate carnets?
Old 16 Sep 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3850733)   #103
pomracer
Racer

Quote:
It's all a bit vague but wasn't there something called TIR which meant it dealt with everything at the crossing. And only Spain and Portugal needed separate carnets?

Its a bit like technology really - if the WWW went down we would have to learn how to use fax machines, or how to lick a stamp.
Now after years of easy convenience suddenly our journey to Spa might take a wee bit longer. It is as if we have just had it too easy.

So if Brexit means going back to the future ( and we are all crystal ball gazing) then we may have to re-learn about such joys as queuing at borders, customs officers having long lunches. .
So it will be a ball ache in some cases, possibly, but not the end of the world.
I know that I will be shot down for being delusional or naieve but really guys, can it be that bad, really? We all worry about our businesses, or the industry we are in, but life experience tells me that we are on the whole pretty quick to adapt,improvise, etc. and no I am not a gung ho brexiteer, just thinking about possible challenges and what to do. My business will get hit financially but already looking to mitigate that. I appreciate some may not be able to.
Defintely glass half full approach for me. I have travelled a lot, seen many countries and could give so many examples of how people survive and indeed prospered under much worse clouds than a no-deal brexit.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3850766)   #104
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomracer View Post

My business will get hit financially but already looking to mitigate that. I appreciate some may not be able to.

I have just picked on just one of your comments to highlight my fears about a no deal Brexit.

My fear is that going back in time will lead inevitably lead to a significant rise in the cost of living. And I remember all the hassles we had as a business in the 70s and 80s importing goods, which required us to have to hire our own staff in two ports to facilitate the transit of our containers and tilts through the docks.

I fail to understand why anyone wants to turn the clock back; they were not the good old days.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 04:25 (Ref:3850918)   #105
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

If I remember correctly TIR (Transports Internationaux Routiers) was a system which allowed goods vehicles to be sealed in the country their load originated in & to pass through intermediate borders with no requirement for customs inspection.