Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Spa Six Hours
Calendar: Historic Racing
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett

14 Sep 2018 to 16 Sep 2018 07:00 to 17:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

The legend that is the Spa 6hrs race for FIA pre ‘66 saloons and GTs. Usually attracts well over 100 entries and lots of British spectators.....

Also includes-
Motor Racing Legends: Pre-War Sports Cars; Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy; Stirling Moss Trophy;

Masters grids x 5.

HSCC closed wheel combined grid.

Formula Junior.

Old 10 Sep 2018, 05:53 (Ref:3849138)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dust just about settled from Goodwood . Two extreamly busy days ahead but then me and Delta truck are heading for Spa. Looking forward to it very very much . See you there . 😀
Old 10 Sep 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3849140)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Enjoy yourself. Hope it's a great meeting.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3849167)   #33
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Ready to go! The cars have been polished to within an inch of their lives, and the truck has also had a good clean up after Ricard trip. Ferries booked.....

Weather forecast looking OK for the weekend, with rain only mentioned for late Thursday. BUT, it’s Spa, so will be prepared for anything......

Old 10 Sep 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3849172)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If you mean ‘how would you know if a driver has missed the briefing?’ Normal practice is that you have to sign against your name on a list. One organiser now hole punches your wrist band.....

If you mean ‘how would you know if a driver has paid attention?’ -Maybe a written test afterwards...

You wouldn’t believe how often, after the CoC has hammered home a particular point, it’s questioned again by someone at the end.....

Written test seems like a good idea.

And "it’s questioned again by someone at the end" would seem to be very worrying considering that the level of personal success enjoyed by most of the drivers in order to be able to afford to race at such an event surely suggests that they should have the required skills to be able to assimilate information quite readily.

That said I suspect there may be more than a few apparently successful people who may not be quite so quick on the uptake and whose success is based on repetitive questioning to make sure they get the same answer each time - no matter how simple the point being made might be. Once into that habit it seems it can be difficult to break it.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3849181)   #35
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
I think sometimes the question is asked again by someone hoping to get a different answer! Come to think of it, I can remember that happening....
Old 10 Sep 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3849191)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I think sometimes the question is asked again by someone hoping to get a different answer! Come to think of it, I can remember that happening....

Ah!,
Well I have known that technique to be used to gently propose that wrong information has been shared without making an outright challenge to the content. In your example it seems to have worked.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3849205)   #37
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Pit box allocation for 6hrs received! We’re one from the bottom in #45, and next to Michael Birch, Mr Burnett and co.....
Old 10 Sep 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3849240)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wish I was going, Arthur's birthday weekend (he'd like to be there too) but Mrs Zef still has no passport due to the high efficiency of the home office reissuing her ILR. 6 weeks so far with no ID!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3849243)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can you still recognise her?
Old 10 Sep 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3849244)   #40
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Wish I was going, Arthur's birthday weekend (he'd like to be there too) but Mrs Zef still has no passport due to the high efficiency of the home office reissuing her ILR. 6 weeks so far with no ID!
Shame, Joe. Just looking down the list of entries for the 6 and the pit box allocation for the meeting brings home what a huge meeting it still is. Brings out goose bumps!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3849255)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the best historic race meeting, at the best circuit, in the nicest countryside, in the world.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3849274)   #42
Geraint Owen
Rookie

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the latest thinking of whether to go via Brussels or Lille?

I read a thread on here years ago that went on for pages and pages. Just wondering whether Brussels is still solid on a typical thursday at 2-3pm?

Went Lille route three years ago. It was fine but seemed a really noisy drive with a lot of concrete road surface....although that mattered less when we blew a sparkplug out of the motorhome, disconnected the injector for that cylinder and carried on on 9 cylinders. Then it was loud!!!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 05:46 (Ref:3849290)   #43
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post

I read a thread on here years ago that went on for pages and pages. Just wondering whether Brussels is still solid on a typical thursday at 2-3pm?

Went Lille route three years ago. It was fine but seemed a really noisy drive with a lot of concrete road surface....although that mattered less when we blew a sparkplug out of the motorhome, disconnected the injector for that cylinder and carried on on 9 cylinders. Then it was loud!!!
I go via Brussels every trip in an HGV and 9 times out of ten traffic is 'fluide'. If it's raining there will surely be fender benders that slow things down, and if you hit the RO during rush hour it will definitely be busy. Middle of day or early hours best. By 3pm could be getting busy again..... Sunday eve coming home usually OK as well.

There are 2 road works on the E40 west of Brussels in Ghent region that slow you down a little bit as well. They were just lane width restrictions with speed limit. Looking at live traffic at moment seem to be same. There were also road works between Calais and Dunkirk on the A16 in the summer but they have finished for the moment. The bridge works of the last few years between Spa and Brussels are all done, thank goodness.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 11 Sep 2018 at 06:16. Reason: Added info
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3849307)   #44
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

2-3 pm on a Thursday is usually OK, gets worse later on.
On a Friday it's a different story, rush hour starts earlier.

I hate that Lille road and being 2 lane means it takes less to bring it to a standstill.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3849309)   #45
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I read a thread on here years ago that went on for pages and pages. Just wondering whether Brussels is still solid on a typical thursday at 2-3pm

Don't make the mistake I made first time I went to Spa. Approaching Brussels we could not see any signs for Liege and ended up in Brussels suburbs. Eventually got the map out and realised Liege is also known as Liuk. Duh!!
Lost more than an hour fannying around. Probably the reason I bought a satnav.