Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Aug 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3846699)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad to see only 5-6 real super tourers turn up at Oulton Park.

I do wonder what will happen next year. I spoke to a few of the drivers, they dont really have the answer to the problems of grid numbers. One driver said part of it is down to no one really trying to rally numbers in order to get the grids up. Another driver said that the better 2019 Dunlop tyres may bring a few drivers back.

Is there any way they could "pool resources"?. I know that sounds easier than it would be in reality, but there needs to be some kind of universal support across all cars or something. I saw one team struggling to get a car going, whilst the engineers from another team looks on. Its debatable whether they could have helped, but its that kind of thing which I think perhaps needs looking at. These cars can be (are) temperamental and require lots of maintenance, so if there was a common support network / agreement maybe that could help?

I know Dave Jarman and Johnny Westbrook were doing something along those lines (probably unofficially) in years gone by, as id see Johnny with his head deep in a different car's engine bay every time I saw him, however as I understand it they both have nothing to do with the series now and its solely being run by the HSCC.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3846704)   #17
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I saw one team struggling to get a car going, whilst the engineers from another team looks on. Its debatable whether they could have helped, but its that kind of thing which I think perhaps needs looking at. These cars can be (are) temperamental and require lots of maintenance, so if there was a common support network / agreement maybe that could help?

In a way, this just reflects our modern society, more's the pity. We all seem to live in our own small bubble.

50 odd years ago, it was not uncommon for rival teams to help out those in trouble on a regular basis. I am forever grateful to the Boreham team of Bert Avard lying under my car helping my lads remove the gearbox so that we could replace the broken flywheel bolts that had sheared off; and in a horrendous thunder storm with the rain coming down like stair rods. Oh, and Bert provided the bolts as well.

And my way of repaying them was to beat their man, Roger Taylor for the overall win - my very first. And it was one of the very few times that I outran Roger.

Now, I am sure that some of that still exists today. But I am sure that it is less common.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3846715)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sad to see only 5-6 real super tourers turn up at Oulton Park.
8 entered, 7 raced.

Quote:
I do wonder what will happen next year. I spoke to a few of the drivers, they dont really have the answer to the problems of grid numbers. One driver said part of it is down to no one really trying to rally numbers in order to get the grids up. Another driver said that the better 2019 Dunlop tyres may bring a few drivers back.
It seems to be that there is no one big thing that is the root of the problem, or at least not one that everyone can agree on.

Tyres, entry fees, number of meetings, choice of venues, dates, hospitality, lack of promotion, availability of spares, running cost, rival series (for non-ST entries), and probably a few I've forgotten. Depending on who you speak to, any or all of the above are either a huge problem, a minor irritation, or not an issue at all; and everyone you speak to will give you a different combination of answer.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 23:57 (Ref:3849748)   #19
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Tyres, entry fees, number of meetings, choice of venues, dates, hospitality, lack of promotion, availability of spares, running cost, rival series (for non-ST entries), and probably a few I've forgotten. Depending on who you speak to, any or all of the above are either a huge problem, a minor irritation, or not an issue at all; and everyone you speak to will give you a different combination of answer.
Another reason you missed Redshoes is Old age! And I don't mean the cars!
I know of at least 3 drivers that have 'Retired' from racing and between them they have access to 8 cars.
There are other drivers that have found other cars to race in other classes, so no Peugeot 406, Opel Astra, Alfa 155 and extra Cavaliers.

Although I have been told by one owner that he has the answer and is expecting to race all 3 of his Supertourers during 2019.

I for one believe he will..
Old 13 Sep 2018, 07:22 (Ref:3849785)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought this was a branch of the Goodwood thread about saloon cars