Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Aug 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2939865)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Testing re-introduction

Frank Williams has recently said he would support the above as he and most teams do need some in season testing especially with the amount of rule changes going on in modern F1, and the upcoming engine changes.

This has been intoduced to reduce costs to the teams and also for logistical reasons. But if they stayed at the venue for a day or two after the event (much like the Abu Dhabi YD test) this could be a way to test new drivers or parts at the tracks. (test drivers are happy, young driver programmes become more effective, rookies can learn outside of the public glare, and teams can test new parts)

I appreciate you couldn't do this at places like Albert Park, Monaco, Valencia, Singapore or during a back to back part of the calendar but remember it would be limited testing at maybe 4 or 5 of the 20 races.

Your thoughts??
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2939890)   #2
calloforion
Rookie

England
London
calloforion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would welcome in season testing to return.

Looking at the 2012 calendar I would propose the following 2 day tests where the final day of the test must be used for young driver testing.

Weekend of 5th/6th May - Jerez/Portimao/Valencia - Three week gap between India/Spanish GP, week before Spanish GP.

Weekend of 23rd/24th June - Paul Ricard/Barcelona/Magny Cours - Three week gap between Canadian/European GP, week before European GP.

Monday 9th and Tuesday 10th July - Silverstone - Two days following British GP

Monday 30th and Tuesday 31st July - Hungaroring - Two days following Hungarian GP

Weekend of August 25th/26th - Hockenheim/Nurbergring - Five week gap between Hungarian/Belgian GP, week before Spa.

Monday 10th and Tuesday 11th September - Monza - Two days following Italian GP

Monday 5th and Tuesday 6th November - Sakhir - Two days following Bahrain GP
Old 16 Aug 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2941910)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The sooner testing returns the better.
Trying to bring on drivers with little or no F1 experience is well nigh impossible under the current regime!
Old 17 Aug 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2942072)   #4
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in with the return or (albeit limited) in-season testing.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2942073)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Might get a few days in Barcelona, before the 'European' season starts. But that will be that. No chance of going back to what track testing used to be.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2942191)   #6
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some testing should be allowed, but no going back to the days of virtually unlimited testing. That was just out of control, plus so expensive for the results it produced.

Getting new drivers the testing experience I can see the logic in that. I bet Schumi will be happy, he loves testing, plus he was very good at it.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2942903)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It looks like even some of the more cash limited teams might be interested in some limited form of testing in the future, but it must be cost effective.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93824
Old 19 Aug 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2943034)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
But the teams have done prefectly well without it????

That's why they have all these hugely expensive simulation systems instead of the even more hugely expensive testing...

The only way iy should be permitted is to give young drivers a go before they race so they have at least some reasonable chance of being on the pace before their debut races.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2944056)   #9
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
But the teams have done prefectly well without it????
Tell that to Virgin, Lotus and HRT.

Quote:
That's why they have all these hugely expensive simulation systems instead of the even more hugely expensive testing...
That don't actually work very well yet? And you need testing in order to improve the simulation....

Quote:
The only way iy should be permitted is to give young drivers a go before they race so they have at least some reasonable chance of being on the pace before their debut races.
Or to, you know, test the cars to improve them?

There has to be a happy medium - I'd just go for more test days, before or after GP's so teams are already on site.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2944063)   #10
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all for it personally.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2944224)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i suppose a better balance could be good...

but if the teams can spend more money, Ferrari will ruin it for everyone.

its what they do!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2944233)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's true that if unlimited testing was brought back in, you might find it difficult to book a track day, any time soon, at your local circuit.

I can only see one or two test sessions being sanctioned throughout the season. And those will have to include driver training. In fact, it may only be that 'rookies' can test the cars.