Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Feb 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3368417)   #1
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simona de Silvestro

I don't know a great deal about her, but she seems to have done fairly well in the states;

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news...liated-driver/

Should generate some sponsorship for Sauber in 2015 if it comes off. Sirotkin deal seems to have disappeared though.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3368433)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
She's the real deal. If places in F1 were given on merit, she'd certainly be in the queue ahead of some of the people that have seats currently.

Cynical Peat can't help that feel this is just Sauber trying to exploit new sponsorship markets. Not sure if that will be enough to buy a race seat though.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3368442)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Best female prospect for some time, I'd say.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3368445)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed. She's very good. I'm really thrilled for her.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3368447)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Great news, best of luck Simona
Old 14 Feb 2014, 14:27 (Ref:3368453)   #6
miniman
Rookie

miniman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Agreed. She's very good. I'm really thrilled for her.
Brilliant! results in various championships since 2005: 20th, 4th, 19th, 8th, 3rd, 19th, 20th, 24th, 13th!!! F1 material??? I can think of better, sorry
Old 14 Feb 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3368466)   #7
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
ridiculous announcement, just looking for more (female friendly) sponsors?
Not good enough to be a winner in Indycars so certainly not a competitive driver in F1
Old 14 Feb 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3368470)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Brilliant! results in various championships since 2005: 20th, 4th, 19th, 8th, 3rd, 19th, 20th, 24th, 13th!!! F1 material??? I can think of better, sorry
I tend to agree. She's been racing in IndyCar since 2010, with her best result 2nd at the first Houston double header last year and finishing 13th overall last season. It'll be interesting to see if she can improve on that this year. Otherwise, I think this is a bit of a marketing gimmick, what with both Simona and Sauber being Swiss.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 16:08 (Ref:3368480)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i must admit i am currently suffering from the Olympic fever so im happy that Sauber are looking to promote and help out a driver from their own country and if the fact that its a women helps them in the slightest to find new sponsorship opportunities then of all the teams which need money Sauber is the one i most want to find it and survive.

F1 is ridiculously expensive and even though we are all not in agreement on the best ways to correct that, surely we can all agree that as 'gimmicks' go this is preferable to finding faceless investment consortiums buying into F1 or pay drivers.

Last edited by chillibowl; 14 Feb 2014 at 16:14.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3368482)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm going to go easy on the cynicism here because she is much more worth of her role than others who have been test drivers, or even raced, in recent years.

She's a handy IndyCar driver, a competitive driver in a competitive series. Being competent in IndyCar doesn't make you competent in F1, but that works both ways...who knows, F1 could suit her better.

Good luck to her.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3368498)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It helps that she is Swiss. But she certainly ain't shabby either.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3368500)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The official F1 website story has a false fact:

Quote:
She has spent the past four years driving in the IndyCar Series, winning the prestigious Indy 500 ‘Rookie of the Year’ Award in 2010 and becoming the first woman to earn an IndyCar podium finish on a street circuit.
Danica Patrick had a 2nd finish at Detroit 2007.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3368529)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a huge fan. After seeing her nearly lap the field at Lime Rock in 2009 in Formula Atlantics, I was imnpressed, more so when I saw the tiny kid with real poise on the podium. She was sabotaged in 2012 by the dreadful Lotus.

I have high hopes and I am genuinely pleased for her.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3368564)   #14
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watch each Indycar race as well as F1 and I must admit she has impressed on occasions.

F1 badly needs a female driver and I hope she gets a shot. She's certainly more qualified than any others on the horizon. Good luck to her
Old 14 Feb 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3368570)   #15
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an IndyCar fan I am sad to see her go. She was never on a team that could consistently deliver her a fast car, but did well with the machinery she had. Major props to her for not whining about being saddled with a pathetic Lotus engine for an entire season with the chronically underfunded HVM team, too.

She is personable, great with the fans, and yes, will likely attract much-needed sponsorship if Sauber is smart and takes advantage, rather than just treating her as some anonymous test driver.

FWIW she was very fast in Formula Atlantic (yes, I know, it wasn't what it was in the glory days, whatever) and led the championship in 2009 before suffering a huge crash at Mosport (and obviously, no points). She wound up third in the standings that year and was the only Atlantics driver to make the jump directly to IndyCar.

Will she be a full-time competitive F1 driver one day? I think the jury is out - as noted above, no major results. I certainly thought she would have scored a win or two in IndyCar. She seems to my eyes to be a bit more of a cautious driver than was required to really get to the front of the pack. Time will tell I guess and I hope she does well in F1.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3368606)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I wish Simona all the best in F1.

Just wish she was racing in a series as well, and I am not quite sure what "affiliate driver" means, little or nothing I suspect!

I take it they will use her for some of the demo days and capitalize on her marketing potential, she is very promotable from a sponsorship and public relations point of view!
Old 15 Feb 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3368714)   #17
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's hard to compare her to other drivers in other formulae because it's harder for women to get seats at any level. Not because of ability but because of this idea that women aren't up to par.

I hope she can turn her simulator time into some track time at the young drivers test and then perhaps into a drive at some point.
Old 15 Feb 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3368724)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I thought Sauber didn't have a simulator?
Old 15 Feb 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3368728)   #19
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the best for Simona, I don't like the idea of being a playstation driver with nearly zero oportunities to do real kms. I think also that a driver needs real competition to keep the pace.
Old 15 Feb 2014, 19:43 (Ref:3368838)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The official F1 website story has a false fact:

Danica Patrick had a 2nd finish at Detroit 2007.
She also had a win at Motegi in 2008.
Old 15 Feb 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3368854)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope that de Silvestro ca perform well at F1 as she seems to have done a good job so far.
However I am trying to assess the level that Indycar is currently at compared to other series. Out of 16 rounds there are only 3 on road courses in 2013 with 7 street circuits the rest being ovals. This is not the type of circuit mix that you will find in F1.
The other factor is there have not been many drivers who have moved between Indycar and race series outside of North America. The most recent I can think of is Simon Pagenaud who came from P1 sportcars and has done well with one of the the weaker indycar teams. Other than Simon then one has to look at the likes of Sebastian Bourdais and Takuma Sato who were in F1 in the mid naughties. The last person to move sucessfully from Indy car to F1 was Montoya and that is a long time ago.
I wonder how Indycar compares to GP2 or Renault 3.5 as a preparation for F1. I suspect if is not as good due to circuit type however Indycar uses single turbo charged V8 engines. None of those three series is an open chassis formula but Indycar at least uses different engines.

Last edited by wolfhound; 15 Feb 2014 at 21:37.
Old 15 Feb 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3368906)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
IndyCar has lots of 2-hour races, three 500 mile races, lots of parity, and no power steering.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 01:02 (Ref:3368933)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If de Silvestro gets a race seat with Sauber in 2015 i'll eat my hat.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3368939)   #24
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much doubt she'll get a race seat. Actually, is this the same sort of deal that Frijns had this time last year, and he never even ended up testing the car?

I doubt she's F1 material and somehow doubt she'll ever be given the chance to prove me wrong. Still a bit of a loss for Indycar though, especially considering she's been replaced by a nobody.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 02:59 (Ref:3368942)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
She'll be lucky to get a testing gig really. She's a good driver. And very tough.