Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2014, 05:03 (Ref:3368953)   #26
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is probably a PR move for Sauber, as Simona is probably not as accomplished as some younger drivers coming from the European junior series. Having said that, her IndyCar performance at least partly is to blame for poor teams, engines, etc. In 2012 she was the only IndyCar driver to complete the entire season with the troublesome Lotus engine. For 2013, she moved to KV racing with Chevrolet engines, and the improvement was obvious. Yes, she finished 13th, but in 2012 Barrichello finished 12th racing with the same team. Moreover, IndyCar is not a junior series. There are a lot of strong drivers there. Just look how long it took Takuma Sato to get his first IndyCar win. The competition up front is always cutthroat.

Considering that Simona probably won't be getting any F1 seat time, except perhaps as a reserve driver in case of something unexpected, I would have preferred to see her racing in American IndyCar or TUSCC.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 05:07 (Ref:3368954)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
If de Silvestro gets a race seat with Sauber in 2015 i'll eat my hat.
There are many more IndyCar drivers that deserve a crack at F1.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3368978)   #28
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If de Silvestro gets a race seat with Sauber in 2015 i'll eat my hat.
You want fries in that V ?.........................
Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3369039)   #29
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
You want fries in that V ?.........................
Ha ha.

I feel that i should clarify my last post. It was no way a criticism of Miss de Silvestro or her ability, its just that we've seen this all before !
Old 16 Feb 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3369062)   #30
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There are many more IndyCar drivers that deserve a crack at F1.

True but as long as she can finish better than last she is money on the hoof for both Sauber and Bernie, that counts a lot these days. They need to keep her in the public eye, but honestly I'd rather see her actually racing somewhere.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3369110)   #31
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
The other factor is there have not been many drivers who have moved between Indycar and race series outside of North America. The most recent I can think of is Simon Pagenaud who came from P1 sportcars and has done well with one of the the weaker indycar teams. Other than Simon then one has to look at the likes of Sebastian Bourdais and Takuma Sato who were in F1 in the mid naughties.
There was also Rubens of course. He did not impress at all in IndyCar, unfortunately. If I'm remembering his comments correctly, part of the issue was getting used to the idea that IndyCars can take a lot more punishment than F1 cars, necessitating a very different driving style. In reverse, I would expect IndyCar drivers to have a lot of trouble getting used to the delicate nature of F1 cars, as well as all their other features, acceleration, braking, etc.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3369139)   #32
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
There was also Rubens of course. He did not impress at all in IndyCar, unfortunately. If I'm remembering his comments correctly, part of the issue was getting used to the idea that IndyCars can take a lot more punishment than F1 cars, necessitating a very different driving style. In reverse, I would expect IndyCar drivers to have a lot of trouble getting used to the delicate nature of F1 cars, as well as all their other features, acceleration, braking, etc.
I forgot about Rubens and his stats means that de Silvestro looks a lot better for her 13th finish last year.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 02:59 (Ref:3369220)   #33
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tough cookie. wishing Simona all the best, would love to see her get a ride, go get 'em.

Old 23 Feb 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3371300)   #34
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She is a good, determined driver. I don't see her making it in F1, but she can certainly give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3398468)   #35
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A little update about Simona.
Today she got her first run in an F1 car, a 2012 Sauber, at Fiorano.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...ests-a-sauber/

Is there a mid-season test or two? Hopefully she does get the planned-for run to get a super licence.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3398580)   #36
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
A little update about Simona.
Today she got her first run in an F1 car, a 2012 Sauber, at Fiorano.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...ests-a-sauber/

Is there a mid-season test or two? Hopefully she does get the planned-for run to get a super licence.

That would be really good!
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:24 (Ref:3398605)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autosport's take.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113654
Old 27 Apr 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3398645)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be awesome if Ms de Silvestro's clean energy backers join her on the grid for season 2015...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Apr 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3398672)   #39
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Come on, we need drivers in F1 who are extremely talented, de Silvestro is not one of those drivers, not bad but surely not good enough to be a F1 driver on merit.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 09:45 (Ref:3398700)   #40
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Come on, we need drivers in F1 who are extremely talented, de Silvestro is not one of those drivers, not bad but surely not good enough to be a F1 driver on merit.
Nor is Chilton or Maldonado but they're there. I'd like to see more of her testing then we'll see.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:09 (Ref:3398738)   #41
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Nor is Chilton or Maldonado but they're there. I'd like to see more of her testing then we'll see.
Exactly, I'd like to see how she does too. At least Chilton isn't a liability, Maldonado on the other hand...

This one definately needs updated- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIf-dHbKpFI

Wide & late pitlane entry at Spa 2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPS5dnrRYbs

Thinks F1 rules don't apply to him- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P3QusoBPCw

Takes a deliberate? swipe and clips Perez during Qualy at Monaco - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=732IS44ZKso

Heck, he can't even do it without taking people out during his Simulator sessions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFvrq7ucDNg
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3398741)   #42
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Maldonado has won in gp2, even the championship so is worthy of having had a chance in F1.
There are too many race winners and / or champions in GP2 and FR3,5 that deserve a shot at F1 before mrs de Silvestro.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3398747)   #43
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maldonado has won in gp2, even the championship so is worthy of having had a chance in F1.
There are too many race winners and / or champions in GP2 and FR3,5 that deserve a shot at F1 before mrs de Silvestro.

Yes, if only drives were awarded on talent alone.

I don't think there is any question about Maldonados pace. His temperament and poor judgement are what makes him a liability and a danger to others and this is the sole reason I don't want to see him in F1 any more. As far as I'm concerned, he has had his chance and blew it.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3398752)   #44
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is definitely not the right approach. There are other comparatively talentless pay drivers on the F1 grid, so lets add a couple more, over the Robin Frijns' of the world.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3398764)   #45
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
That is definitely not the right approach. There are other comparatively talentless pay drivers on the F1 grid, so lets add a couple more, over the Robin Frijns' of the world.
Indeed, very well said!
Old 27 Apr 2014, 12:19 (Ref:3398769)   #46
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed, very well said!
I didn't say she should be on the grid. I said she should get a test then we'll see.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 12:45 (Ref:3398773)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I didn't say she should be on the grid. I said she should get a test then we'll see.
A Friday session or two would make most sense. Maybe in the US race, assuming they can wangle a SuperLicence in time.

The thing to remember here is that Sauber is seriously hurting for cash. If this driver selection were to pave the way for a competitive pilot AND a decent slice of sponduli to arrive in Hinwil, to keep the lights on, and to run the development program.. its not a bad thing.

Having said that, if Ms de Silvestro proves inconclusive/slow etc.. its not the right call..
Old 27 Apr 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3398776)   #48
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A Friday session or two would make most sense. Maybe in the US race, assuming they can wangle a SuperLicence in time.
She'd need to take part in a test to get the miles in order to qualify for a super licence to take part in FP1 at a GP weekend.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3398778)   #49
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
She'd need to take part in a test to get the miles in order to qualify for a super licence to take part in FP1 at a GP weekend.
Would the laps at Fiorano not get that done for her? Or does it need to be a current spec car?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3398779)   #50
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Would the laps at Fiorano not get that done for her? Or does it need to be a current spec car?
I thought the Fiorano test might get that done, but maybe it does need to be a current car as Joe Saward said in his piece about it that Simona was hoping to test later in the year to get a super licence.
Maybe she just didn't do enough running at Fiorano? Or maybe it was because it was an old car.