Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3468412)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Mr Haas will be on the grid...
Not til 2016... So there will likely only be 18 cars next season

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Oct 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3468417)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Mr Haas will be on the grid...
I'll agree with you when there's two physical Haas cars on the Melbourne '16 grid and not a minute before.

As for Marussia; it has more going for it than Team Cat. The ownership is simpler and the entry is worth something.

But I just don't believe in teams that are forced to miss races on financial grounds will ever come back. We won't be seeing them again in my estimation.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3468439)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't think marussia ever got too big for their boots in terms of staff, in-house manufacturing or toys either, so their overheads are smaller and they've invested less too. they've always outsourced a lot of fabrication work, and kept the design simple.

without seeing the accounts books and going by what the jungle drums says in terms of relative depths of poo, if i wanted to buy a f1 team at this point i'd buy marussia.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3468447)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'll agree with you when there's two physical Haas cars on the Melbourne '16 grid and not a minute before.

As for Marussia; it has more going for it than Team Cat. The ownership is simpler and the entry is worth something.

But I just don't believe in teams that are forced to miss races on financial grounds will ever come back. We won't be seeing them again in my estimation.
I told you lot that COTA would happen...He will be there, Haas is way smarter than most people give him credit for..

America landed on the MOON... I will ask him if he is full of **** okay ?
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:50 (Ref:3468486)   #30
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I told you lot that COTA would happen...He will be there, Haas is way smarter than most people give him credit for..

America landed on the MOON... I will ask him if he is full of **** okay ?
It won't happen. Fun if it did though.

I'm too accustomed to smart people losing their marbles when coming into contact with the sport.

Last edited by Paradise City; 26 Oct 2014 at 00:55.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:54 (Ref:3468489)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't think marussia ever got too big for their boots in terms of staff, in-house manufacturing or toys either, so their overheads are smaller and they've invested less too. they've always outsourced a lot of fabrication work, and kept the design simple.

without seeing the accounts books and going by what the jungle drums says in terms of relative depths of poo, if i wanted to buy a f1 team at this point i'd buy marussia.
Teams are crashing and burning. The head-honcho just legally 'bribed' his way out of a corruption trail causing some disbelief. Fernandes stomped off in a wave of anger. Drivers are getting injured and all that's sprawled over the internet and TV.

I don't know if that climate is a fertile ground for buyers.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3468495)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It won't happen. Fun if it did though.

I'm too accustomed to smart people losing their marbles when coming into contact with the sport.
I love you guys.. I lost my marbles years ago ask my mate GTRMagic...
Old 26 Oct 2014, 03:28 (Ref:3468531)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I love you guys.. I lost my marbles years ago ask my mate GTRMagic...

Losing your marbles isnt such a bad thing, it kinda means you were in the game, which is nothing to be ashamed of

Old 26 Oct 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3468587)   #34
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Apparently Marussia are to follow Caterham into administration.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3468591)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Apparently Marussia are to follow Caterham into administration.
Story Here

Old 26 Oct 2014, 07:53 (Ref:3468597)   #36
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Thank for posting the link. The most telling thing is that BE has suggested a twist to what we thought 3 car teams would mean by saying that leading teams 'could' supply a car and all thst is required to run it to say a Caterham or Marussia
Old 26 Oct 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3468598)   #37
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Thereby making them effectively race team operations only and paving the way for customer cars.....

2015 could see for the first time for a long time, if ever, that FOM is on the slight back foot with race promoters after years of brow beating circuits for not living up to FOM's expectations, we could see circuits drumming their fingerd on the table asking where the full grid of cars is....

Hence the comment from BE
Old 26 Oct 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3468686)   #38
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could have sworn that the customer car idea was voted down a couple of months ago? Aside from a couple of teams entering administration, as predicted at the time, what has actually changed?

I'm not a massive fan of the idea, but at least it's an idea other than burying their heads in the sand.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3468707)   #39
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't know if that climate is a fertile ground for buyers.
agreed, there's too much uncertainty. which is weird, because as nikki katz says about the customer car possibility, what has actually changed? f1 is pretty much the same place as it was a year ago aside from a few teams hitting the inevitable wall.

about customer cars, and i think in the previous market where small constructors could just about survive (if you put your "i'm a big team" blinkers on for a second), yes the market was wrong. but now it's obvious that smaller teams can't survive in the longer term, and i think the sport has no option but to completely reconsider the constructor situation.

the big teams at some point will have to do a turkeys voting for christmas thing.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3468720)   #40
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If I recall correctly, only 17 cars lined up on the starting grid for the 1996 Suzuka GP. Of course not counting the 2005 Indy farce, when was the last time less cars actually started the race?
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3468726)   #41
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If I recall correctly, only 17 cars lined up on the starting grid for the 1996 Suzuka GP. Of course not counting the 2005 Indy farce, when was the last time less cars actually started the race?
Actually, it were 19, after Forti had withdrawn mid-season and Lavaggi failed to qualify within 107%
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3468730)   #42
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They could have an 18 car grid in sporting terms. But commercially it just looks very bad, having teams imploding. Even the grid looking skeletal at the start, just reeks of bad health and starting shots often feature in promotional pieces. There's a distinct visual difference between a packed grid and a sparsely populated one.

It's also another thing having anonymous teams disappear like Forti Ford or whoever. But Fernandes is a fairly high profile figure and Marussia clearly has a profile after recent events. All these fiascos are harder to downplay in the internet era.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3468735)   #43
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I also thinks is very unfair on the promoter of a race, not to have a full grid.
after all that is what they paid for..
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3468738)   #44
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
So how does quali pan out with 18 cars?
Do 6 get thrown out after the first 15 mins?
Old 26 Oct 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3468741)   #45
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
So how does quali pan out with 18 cars?

Do 6 get thrown out after the first 15 mins?

10 cars in q3. 4 out after q1 and another 4 after q2.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3468742)   #46
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Ok. Got you. Gets Sauber up the road a little bit then.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3468748)   #47
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
If you're a Sauber or Lotus, would it not be an idea to perhaps sit out these races, too...? Surely a bigger group of teams banding together and highlighting the ridiculously money issues in F1 could get things moving a little?

I doubt it, though. They're all in it for themselves, at the end of the day. 2 teams out = 4 spaces up the grid automatically.

Selby
Old 26 Oct 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3468751)   #48
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Missing race(s) is a zero sum gambit so that the executives can put heart and soul into the complex and demanding business of selling the team. Missing races would be deeply damaging in any other circumstances.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3468768)   #49
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah missing races for the sake of it is daft.

they still have to pay their overheads, they've still all booked the flight tickets, paid for a load of freight, all the bills are already racked up. if the cars are subject to uh, part shortages then it might save mileage but unless their gearbox or engine manufacturers aren't handing the kit over it'd be a waste. and this is a double-header, and there's 3 races left. if you're saving mileage for anything, it's these 3 races...

with 4 cars off the grid it makes scoring those elusive points that little bit easier, something that's really REALLY important for sauber especially.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3468778)   #50
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the backmarkers that are gone though, if a Marussia or Caterham would finish a race ahead of Sauber then Sauber would be nowhere near the top 10.

I'm not sure how good Sauber's finances are at the moment. Everything's gone quite quiet regarding Sirotkin. Everyone's expecting Sutil to be out at the end of the year, but he's a pay driver too isn't he?