Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jun 2020, 04:56 (Ref:3981071)   #26
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, thanks! Incredible success, the virus got a good kick in the arse!
Nice to have two SLR's.

Last edited by Gerard C; 10 Jun 2020 at 05:04.
Old 19 Jun 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3982758)   #27
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Officially closed doors meeting, impossible for any spectator to buy a ticket. Dont even think about going there unless invited by a registered team, under strict health and safety conditions.

Will, I seem to remember reading something about live streaming for the first time on some PA events, probably not at Ricard. Do you remember the same thing?
Old 24 Jun 2020, 06:57 (Ref:3983494)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Having a look to some entry lists clearly shows its gonna be a success. 79 teams in Sixties, 57 in HTC, 60 in CER 1, 32 in 2.0 Cup and 49 in ERL. For its first appearance the Fifties grid will have around 20 entrants.
The two SLR's will have some tough competitors, several good 26 R's. Seems no 911 want to fight against "our" 356…
Old 24 Jun 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3983605)   #29
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Seems no 911 want to fight against "our" 356…
Always happy to follow the 356 round, but PA says 911s should stick to the 2-litre Cup when the 60s grid is fully subscribed with other types
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:42 (Ref:3983618)   #30
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha that's why… Thanks for your clarification. Have fun if you go.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3983631)   #31
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Always happy to follow the 356 round, but PA says 911s should stick to the 2-litre Cup when the 60s grid is fully subscribed with other types
Still waiting for the guest invite to the 2l cup!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 24 Jun 2020, 16:26 (Ref:3983632)   #32
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
On a more serious note, this has changed the 60s grid.

There used to be the pointy end, the midfield and the minnows, with the 911s filling that midfield (sometimes playing with the big boys in the wet)

On a good day as one of the minnows we could get amongst some of the slower 911s, but now they are gone there is not really a midfield, and the majority of the minnows have already or are looking at moving across to the 50s race.....we are running out of people to play with come race day!
Mag 7's #60
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:29 (Ref:3983642)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I understand Will but no one can blame PA to fill the Fifities grid. Now the GTS11 category is no more the 911 field as was. I wont worry about you and your team, you'll find mates to bother in the Sixties race as on usual. Make your choice!
Old 24 Jun 2020, 20:32 (Ref:3983671)   #34
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Agree Gerard, was certainly not a criticism of PA.....they put on fabulous events!
Mag 7's #60
Old 24 Jun 2020, 22:22 (Ref:3983688)   #35
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems a couple more Daytona Cobras have been made over the break it seems also.

Will be viewing live timing with interest.
Old 25 Jun 2020, 07:13 (Ref:3983720)   #36
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Agree Gerard, was certainly not a criticism of PA.....they put on fabulous events!
No worry Will, I took your point as you send it
What is a pity is that nobody wants or even try to challenge them at least in France. But having a look to a recent PP itw you understand why, he's talking about a lot of work, learning all time and a faithful working team.
Down here, "the others" always pretend PA events are expensive. I dont agree at all even though I cant afford to enter on a regular basis. They offer an unmatched ratio fun/performance/track choice/track time/welcome. Et le buffet est très convenable! Just let me win the lottery…
Old 26 Jun 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3983973)   #37
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
@Gerard The circuit is advertising that spectators can attend this event. Do you know if there are limits on numbers or if it is only locals? I would fly over from London in a heartbeat but I don’t want to be turned away! Merci 🙂
Old 26 Jun 2020, 12:06 (Ref:3983980)   #38
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I asked the same question to Paul Ricard on Twitter. Grand Prix Burger bar grandstand only and they said no roaming around and no paddock access. Same for ELMS the weekend before.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 16:39 (Ref:3984043)   #39
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mainly I dont recommend to travel in a country where the virus is still active. From PA website spectators wont be allowed but what is confusing is that the VIP packages page is still open. I did not test it.
Would it be me, I wont go unless sure to join a team and have the adequate pass for the paddock and the pit wall.
Hope this is not too much disappointing but at least I feel its reasonable…
Old 26 Jun 2020, 18:10 (Ref:3984061)   #40
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mainly I dont recommend to travel in a country where the virus is still active. From PA website spectators wont be allowed but what is confusing is that the VIP packages page is still open. I did not test it.
Would it be me, I wont go unless sure to join a team and have the adequate pass for the paddock and the pit wall.
Hope this is not too much disappointing but at least I feel its reasonable…
Thank you.

I asked Paul Ricard directly and they replied quickly with the answer above: GP Burger stand only, no roaming, no paddocks. I suspect the PA site is a bit behind.

As for traveling, I will go anywhere it is legal and if I can walk the circuit. I will adhere to whatever rules are in place at airports, on planes and at circuits. Waiting until the virus no longer "active" may well mean waiting years or forever.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3988760)   #41
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Seems nothing changed, free access to the grandstand, no spectators allowed in the paddock. The FB page announces the venue of a famous Ferrari, the 550 Prodrive. More than 350 cars in total. With 52 cars the HTC grid is really well supported. Only one XJS to challenge the 635's in the Group A category.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 12:33 (Ref:3990701)   #42
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Its the first time I can't get the live timing and results directly from PA website. Anyway, for those interested you can find those: http://peterautoracing.alkamelsystems.com
Good Q for the Stephens family, no time for the Elva and no SLR.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 15:31 (Ref:3990724)   #43
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some onboards from the PA Youtube:

Shelby Cobra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30UQu7Rvw1k&t=17s

Riley & Scott MK3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ElnKmeKnSY

Chevron B19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqJigQLo7YM

Video on Gérard Larrousse and driving the Porsche 917 LH this weekend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONMlkx4Zy1M

Great weekend so far it looks with wins so far for the Bentley Speed 8 and a Bizzarini 5300 GT. Endurance Legends has certainly taken off now with 40 cars.

Shame to see the Sixties Grid is now all Class GT5 and GT4 with a handful of GT2 cars at the back. Guess thats what happens when you create 2 grids for slower cars to be competitive in. Good to see a genuine Daytona Cobra competing it seems qualifying 5th place.

Group C Race up next
Old 25 Jul 2020, 17:51 (Ref:3990749)   #44
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I can't believe the number of Cobras racing there. The virus can't affect historic cars and drivers commitment. Pourvu que ça dure… comme disait la maman de Buonaparte!
Old 26 Jul 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3990852)   #45
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Another finish for the 356 dream team, 28 overall in a Sixties grid seeing 38 cars classified, 19 not classified and 4 DNS. The 356 lapping around 2'52" means 17th time in the 2.0 Cup grid hosting 28 cars. Not bad, hein?
Old 26 Jul 2020, 16:40 (Ref:3990893)   #46
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
We aim to please!
Mag 7's #60
Old 27 Jul 2020, 07:57 (Ref:3990966)   #47
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Well that meeting was a bit different!

From our perspective as others have mentioned, the 60s grid was packed with the big guns, and very few of us minnows.....cobras, Daytona’s and 26r seem to have multiplied during lockdown!

Winter set up changes made the car almost impossible to drive in free practice, but with some tinkering before quali, we got the car more balanced and managed to dip into the 2.49s, something we have never managed before, before a throttle rod popped off starving one bank of fuel (we don’t have enough cylinders to be without some of them) forcing us to stop early.

Thankfully race day ran late, so although still very hot, by the time we started the race at 9pm it was cooler. Car ran faultlessly during the race, but for whatever reason we could not find the pace we had in quali, and as Gerard has pointed out, settled into 2.52ish laps, which kept us out of harms way, and as others expired, we crept up the leader board to finish 28th at the flag.

All credit to the PA team, and all the organisers, marshalls, caterers and all involved in ensuring this went ahead, it was great to be back racing.

Last edited by 356sc; 27 Jul 2020 at 08:19.
Mag 7's #60
Old 27 Jul 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3991004)   #48
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Good to see you finishing a long hot weekend. During the 2.0 Cup the pit stop followed by a long SC was a little bit confusing for those watching the live timing only. For a while even the number of laps was affected before correction.
As you say all in all a real success, not only this grid, but the whole meeting. Well done again PA.
Old 3 Aug 2020, 22:04 (Ref:3992784)   #49
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there on friday morning to take photo's. What a fantastic event and cars!
You can see them here: here
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:54 (Ref:3992856)   #50
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great photos of the Touring Cars thanks