Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3987389)   #51
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Lunch with Sid Watkins describes how important he thought medical helicopters were and how he pushed for them to always be available in 1979.
I understand that.

Apparently the helicopter is in the air. Maybe not the medical one, but if the TV camera helicopter can be in the air, then probably the medical one can be, too ?

Other than that: F1 has much more advanced weather radar systems than we do. If they don't want to put the cars out now, they surely can decide NOW that it is no use waiting, rather than just sit there basically doing nothing, and postpone the thing anyway after all the endless waiting?
Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:16 (Ref:3987390)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
They won't.
The start has been postponed indefinitely. There will be a 5 minute warning if/when things will go underway.

They're just going to wait and wait and wait ... and then decide to not do it after all.
That's nice for the fans, you know.

--
F1 and clear decision making don't often go hand in hand.
I’m confused here. What actual problem is there with them waiting to see if it can go ahead? Are you suggesting you just cancel it and move on? If there is a small chance of it going ahead why not? What’s the negative?

There aren’t even any fans there. And those who want to watch on telly I can’t imagine it ruins their lives. And they might actual get to see something today. Which is a plus.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:20 (Ref:3987391)   #53
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I’m confused here. What actual problem is there with them waiting to see if it can go ahead? Are you suggesting you just cancel it and move on? If there is a small chance of it going ahead why not? What’s the negative?

There aren’t even any fans there. And those who want to watch on telly I can’t imagine it ruins their lives. And they might actual get to see something today. Which is a plus.
If they have good enough weather systems (which I do not doubt) they probably already know if the weather is going to improve or not, and more or less when.

If they know it won't, cancel it and move on, indeed.

In the mean time, they are also waisting my time
I just want clarity, and not 'we'll warn you 10 minutes in advance'
Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3987392)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I understand that.

Apparently the helicopter is in the air. Maybe not the medical one, but if the TV camera helicopter can be in the air, then probably the medical one can be, too ?
My post was a follow up to my last one a response to the discussion chilli and tool were having.
Quote:
Other than that: F1 has much more advanced weather radar systems than we do. If they don't want to put the cars out now, they surely can decide NOW that it is no use waiting, rather than just sit there basically doing nothing, and postpone the thing anyway after all the endless waiting?
What else they got to do?

And, while it looks better tomorrow, there is a chance it won’t be, so they’d be annoyed if it did get clear enough for a bit.

They have more advanced weather, maybe it suggests there is a chance they can do it?

Which won’t go down well, because most people don’t get the concept of probability.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3987393)   #55
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
If they have good enough weather systems (which I do not doubt) they probably already know if the weather is going to improve or not, and more or less when.

If they know it won't, cancel it and move on, indeed.

In the mean time, they are also waisting my time
I just want clarity, and not 'we'll warn you 10 minutes in advance'
Even with the most advanced weather systems you don’t know, you get a probability.

They are not wasting your time. You are. Like you do every time you watch F1. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but it is boring and has shambolic teams and organisers. Back tomorrow to waste your time again?
Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:24 (Ref:3987394)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The joys of live sports.

Im fine waiting.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:30 (Ref:3987396)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the weather forecast for tomorrow.

https://darksky.net/details/47.2181,...-07-12/ca24/en
Old 11 Jul 2020, 13:34 (Ref:3987397)   #58
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Does look like there is much more chance tomorrow. So we should get Q. As I said before I quite like the current grid from FP2 But they should go if they can.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3987400)   #59
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Other than that: F1 has much more advanced weather radar systems than we do.
I read this and was wonder what exactly does F1 do from a weather forecast perspective? Do they have their own team, do they use commercial radar data or have their own setup (Frankly I would have been surprised if they did)? Turns out they contract with a private weather forecasting service. Link below is from 2016 and the contractor at that time was Ubimet.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...rks-in-f1.html

It sounds like teams were not happy with the forecasts that Ubimet was providing, so FIA/F1 switched to Meteo France in 2017 (which other searches show that FIA/F1 may have used prior to Ubimet)

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...ather-reports/

But that 2017 article says teams are still unhappy with the F1 provided forecasts and are relying more on their own team specific services. It sound like F1 still used them in 2019, so I assume they continue to use them in 2020. As to the FIA/F1 solution being substantially better than others, based upon the above, I wonder if that is true or not. It's not clear if to me if Meteo France utilizes a mobile radar setup or if they use what I supposed is their existing commercialized radar data (which anyone can probably get if they pay for it).

Richard
Old 11 Jul 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3987405)   #60
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently they now use ted Kravitz who is currently running around measuring weather based on how wet his shorts are getting.

It's fairly economical as he brings his own sandwiches.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3987409)   #61
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One. Point. Two. Seconds.

Wow.

And what about Russell, eh?
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3987410)   #62
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

Wow.

Astonishing lap by Lewis....1.5 seconds ahead of Bottas too....

....that has to be up there with one of his best qualifying performances.

Cracking lap by Russell too

Let’s hope for a clean race tomorrow
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3987411)   #63
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
He did well. So nice to see.

Ham was epic again in the wet.

Great session. Well worth the wait.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:08 (Ref:3987412)   #64
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard, I cannot remember when it took place, but in the fairly recent past - possibly up to 10 years, or maybe even more - the FIA as part of their drive to reduce the teams budgets, brought in the regulation that the weather service would in future be provided by a contractor appointed by the FIA. But paid for by the teams, equally.

Of course, that probably hasn't stopped some teams with more money than sense from seeking services from their own sources.

The FIA also banned teams from sending out weather spotters to the four corners of the compass which was giving some teams an advantage in wet conditions.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3987414)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Lewis. Can he turn this into a win on a track he has only won once on, back in 2016?
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3987415)   #66
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ualifying top 10
1: Hamilton

2: Verstappen

3: Sainz

4: Bottas

5: Ocon

6: Norris

7: Albon

8: Gasly

9: Ricciardo
Fair barometer of current talent I reckon
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3987417)   #67
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
I know some rate Ocon highly... personally i dont see it but he really did impress today.

Still dont think he is on Ric's level though.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3987418)   #68
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Congrats to Lewis. Can he turn this into a win on a track he has only won once on, back in 2016?
I have serious doubts he will.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3987425)   #69
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

Wow.
Boom.

Quote:
Nicely done.

And Ferrari? It’s not just the engine. Seems a ‘box overall.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 19:02 (Ref:3987463)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Three plate grid penalty for Leclerc for impeding Kvyat.

Both he and Raikkonen OK for not coming in immediately after the red flag. It was safer to stay out than dive into the pit lane.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 19:23 (Ref:3987469)   #71
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well a good day for some teams and a real mess for Ferrari, i suspect they will be in discussions tonight to find out what is going wrong.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3987472)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

In his book Life at the Limit (p89) he describes how practice was delayed at Silverstone in 1985 because of the weather and how helicopters could be used.

and that is just the beginning of the story...

Read the book it’s great and the man is a legend.
Anyone who is interested in F1 should read this book.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 23:16 (Ref:3987523)   #73
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Red Bull have protested Hamilton. They say that Hamilton failed to slow down sufficiently due to the adverse weather conditions.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 23:25 (Ref:3987524)   #74
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Anyone who is interested in F1 should read this book.
Thanks. I just ordered a copy.

Richard
Old 11 Jul 2020, 23:35 (Ref:3987525)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Thanks. I just ordered a copy.

Richard
That’s brilliant. last book I bought was from a recommendation on 10ths. It was ace.

There is great insight into F1 growing under Bernie. And the Senna stuff is a great read, amazing.