Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Mar 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2841976)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Paula, me too! I have now entered this car in the 360 support race, just gotta put the straight cut Rock Crusher Muncie M22 gearbox in her for the event I can then repair this one in my own time.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2842004)   #27
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are welcome Al.

My love for V8's goes back to my BGT V8 which I bought new in 1973.

Just after taking delivery of her, I flew to the States and one day I popped into a gas station in my hired AMC Ambassador and spotted an MGC. I told the owner that I had just taken delivery of a V8 and he said in a broad drawl " A V8 - when are they coming over here? " I said I don't know and, of course, officially they never did ...

All down to a supply problem of the Buick inspired Rover V8 apparently.

You can just imagine how many V8 B's would have been sold in the States if the engines had been more readily available.

I am hoping to get up to Snett at the end of April for the races and if I do, I'll come over and say "Hi".

Good luck with the gearbox change.

Take care

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Thanks Paula, me too! I have now entered this car in the 360 support race, just gotta put the straight cut Rock Crusher Muncie M22 gearbox in her for the event I can then repair this one in my own time.

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 8 Mar 2011 at 09:54.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2842025)   #28
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Paula, wow you really are a V8 fan! Yep if they had also stuck the unit in the Stag that would have been a very nice high speed cruiser as well but no.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2842157)   #29
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You betcha Al....

I am usually in the USA for around 6 weeks each year and love going to all the car meets with cars like your's on display.

It's surprising now many classic muscle cars are used on a regular basis over there.

The sound of a V8 is music to my ears....

I also had a Costello V8 'B' roadster for a while and that thing really flew. I remember seeing off a Porsche on the way back from Brands circa 1983....

I once drove a friend's Stag and it was a really nice car. Just a shame that they had that unreliable Triumph V8 under the hood.

PS. Bill Shepherd Mustang is down the road from me in Byfleet and I pop in there occasionally to get my fix ...

http://www.billshepherdmustang.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Thanks Paula, wow you really are a V8 fan! Yep if they had also stuck the unit in the Stag that would have been a very nice high speed cruiser as well but no.

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 8 Mar 2011 at 15:02.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2842163)   #30
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
John, thanks for sharing your fotos.

The first time I went to Snett was to watch the original BTCC night race in 1999.

It was fantastic.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2842611)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I will put some pics of the cars on track in due course, but here are a few more of the 'works'. The first 3 were taken 'blind' as I simply pointed the camera over the top of bridge parapet as I walked across! You will see the substantially raised area (for spectator viewing?) and just to its right, in the distance, you can see cars coming off the new infield part of the track onto the Revett Straight. The last two are of the work being carried out adjacent to the current paddock area, close to the refuelling station:-
Attached Thumbnails
SnetTestday4March2011 100wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 102wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 104wb.jpg  

SnetTestday4March2011 116wb.jpg   SnetTestday4March2011 118wb.jpg  
Old 9 Mar 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2842920)   #32
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
restyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, sorry I missed you and Kev last Friday. I was there for a little while. Yes the large earth bank in your photo will be for spectating. There is another one on what used to be the marshalls camp site between the start and Riches, which is equally as big. These will be great for viewing but in my opinion not so good for pictures as you will be fairly high up. The spectator fencing was going up yesterday and is quite a bit above track level. On the plus side there are no plans to put two mile high debris fencing all around like Brands and Silverstone so it will be one of the choice tracks for the amature snapper. Good news I think ! I will pop a few shots on from the testing yesterday to give an idea of the photo possibilities when I have a minute. Unfortunately some of the new angles will not be accessible to spectators, but that has always been the case of course. There will be numerous advantages over the old Snett for pictures, plus all the old favoirite spots are still there. Russell looks better in my opinion as you can now include Coram in the background. Roll on the 19th & 20th I say !
Old 9 Mar 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2842932)   #33
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had to take the 917 over to Nick Paravani today for a new quiet silencer system to made (that,ll bugger up the rear end looks and add weight where i don,t need it) and thought i would call into Snetterton for lunch at the cafe and see what was happening. Well apart from the weather being dry and the sunshine bringing out the worlds stock of radicals it is amazing how lots of things are being done day by day.

Kerbing is now painted red and white.

Tarmac pavements are laid around lots of the new track and up Everest and Mont Blanc (the two great viewing mounds) for ease of access and the disabled.

The new paddock areas are nearing completion with surfaces like a billiard table.

I watched a man carefully hand grass seeding on one of the mountains.

As for the contractors .. they really do care and have done a superb job.

As the circuit is on my doorstep this makes the fourth time in two weeks of going there and each time i rave more about it.

I reckon that in a very short time some of the best races and the best racing will be held at Snetterton and that for spectators it will provide the closest and best viewing anywhere.

As for the drivers i,ve yet to hear an adverse comment.

GT
Old 9 Mar 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2843004)   #34
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
this all sounds so positive I really do hope it's not the precursor to the closure and redevelopment of Brands.... for housing
Old 9 Mar 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2843008)   #35
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
wHY SHOULD THAT HAPPEN?
Old 9 Mar 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2843096)   #36
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
As promised a few shots from the new sections of Snett. Most angles will be accessible to spectators but obviously the spectator fence will be slightly further back. None of the shots have been cropped. I will list the lens focal length used.

#1: Turn 2 (Sear) this is from the inside and will unfortunately not be accessible for spectators. However eventually it will be possible to view the corner from the banking on the outside of the corner. This was with 80mm focal length.

#2: Turn 3. this will be accessible from the new spectator bank but with a slightly higher viewpoint. This was with 300mm focal length.

#3: Turn 3 again.The same angle but with 600mm focal length.

#4: Exiting Turn 4 with the spectator bank visible behind. The plan is to allow spectator access down to the grass section adjacent to turns 5,6,7&8 in due course. This was with 300mm focal length.

#5: This is turn 5 but is a long way from the barriers. This was taken with 600mm lens.

I will continue on next post.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2843106)   #37
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
A few more pictures from the new sections of Snett.

#6: This is the entry of turn 8 where new joins old onto the Revett straight. This should be accessible if the proposed plan for spectator access goes ahead. This was 100mm focal length.

#7: This is the revised Coram and leads into the left hander of the revised Russell. Spectator access will be possible to this point within a little. This was 300mm lens.

#8: Looking across Russell with Coram now visible. Will be nice for groups of cars I think. 300mm focal lenth.

#9: Finally new Russell which actually looks quite similar to old Russell on a picture. Will look great when the grass has grown, as will all photo angles on the new sections.

I hope this will be of some help to the spectators who enjoy picture taking as well as watching the action.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2843434)   #38
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wonderful fotos....

What equipment are you using as I am considering buying a Nikon D300S which I have already tested with all my Sigma EX telephoto lenses that I used with my old 35mm Nikon F90X and they are compatible.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pr...essional/d300s

You can get one (body only) for around a grand at discount shops.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2843449)   #39
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
Hi Paula, they were taken using Canon kit. 1Dmk4 + 300 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8. The ones at 600mm were with a 2X extender. I have never used Nikon but equally good I am sure.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2843459)   #40
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aha !!! That explains it.

Now we are talking - Nikon D3X-D3S territory ...

Remember having discussions with Jeff Bloxham(Nikon) and Gary Hawkins(Canon) about which is the best camera for Motorsport Photography.

Opinion is generally divided.

Of course all my lenses are Nikon compatible so it's a no brainer for me..

Take care and happy clacking ...

Paula

PS. Those extender shots are great, fortunately I have one at 2X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by restyles View Post
Hi Paula, they were taken using Canon kit. 1Dmk4 + 300 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8. The ones at 600mm were with a 2X extender. I have never used Nikon but equally good I am sure.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2843891)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, I'm not sure I want to do this in view of all of Richard's great pics but here are a few more from the testday, including a couple of Mike's Porsche which got into this weeks' Autosport. A few more will follow later, including one of Al's Camaro if I can find a halfway decent one:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9104wb.jpg   IMG_9132wb.jpg   IMG_8791wb.jpg  

IMG_8829wb.jpg   IMG_8921wb.jpg   IMG_9140wb.jpg  

Old 11 Mar 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2843904)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9162wb.jpg   IMG_9207wb.jpg   IMG_9292wb.jpg  

IMG_9342wb.jpg   IMG_9435wb.jpg   IMG_9476wb.jpg  

Old 11 Mar 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2843990)   #43
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Ok, I'm not sure I want to do this in view of all of Richard's great pics but here are a few more from the testday, including a couple of Mike's Porsche which got into this weeks' Autosport. A few more will follow later, including one of Al's Camaro if I can find a halfway decent one:-
John Turner don't be daft .. you take great pictures. Anyway, its nothing to do with my abilities, its the stupid amounts of money I have spent on kit !! Just carry on the good work
Old 11 Mar 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2844006)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
You are too kind, Richard .... and too modest!
Old 11 Mar 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2844008)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh, get a room you two.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2844040)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks for posting John, nice one of the 'maro!