Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Mar 2015, 09:22 (Ref:3518549)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MGCC - Mallory Park - 29th March

Next Sunday sees the season opener at Mallory with the MGCC.

FISCAR are taking a few FLIERS to the Iconic 50s race which also includes classes for MG T types, MGAs and a few really nice Invitation cars; in fact a 23 car entry which is pretty good for Mallory especially so early in the season. We are Race 3 on the list below. Also note Race 5 for the Equipe GTS cars and now very sensibly merged with the similar AMOC (ACR) series which should make the grids stronger:-

http://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport/wp-...-EL-200315.pdf
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 23 Mar 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3518691)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Timetable is here http://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport/wp-...2015-JCH-3.pdf

I will try and wander up for the meeting.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3522022)   #3
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lack of comment/replies to this post (and others a la spirit of Equipe GTS/ HRDC etc) is rather in tune to a comment I made about Silverstone Classic/ Donnington Festivale et al about the fact that the entries for big historic events seem to be the focus not only of the public but also of those subscribing to this website.

Viz is it really only the headline races (Spa, Goodwood etc) which capture the mindset of those on this forum?

Sure we all want to see/hear about the prancing horses of the histeric Motorsport world but are we really forgetting about the grass roots of the weekend warrior?

A recent post on this forum bemoaned the lack of controversialism we had previously enjoyed (not a theme I personally subscribe to because imho it is not the reason we all read and post here) but if you want to be controversial then I would say the historic scene is too elite. The very fact that all the headline events are all but closed to anyone not racing a triple crown, a prancing horse, a leaping cat or a winged something or other is testimony to that. If we do not ensure a lively debate ensues about the average bloke/girl pitting their immaculately prepared sub £35k pride and joy then frankly aside from a very expensive day out what's the point?

Sorry for sounding down at heart but maybe it's down to the general negative commentary on here for pre season blues ( I would like to believe) I keep reading.

Disappointed Captain Grumpy
Of South Bucks
Old 31 Mar 2015, 06:50 (Ref:3522100)   #4
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Also wanting to be controversial…

I would state that the last post is Rollocks!!

I have yet to race but I have been around many paddocks spannering and latterly testing over the last 10 years or so and the one thing I have never ever found is elitism of any kind in the paddock.

I am an impoverished clubby but I have scrimped, saved and built an HTP Griff. Many would say that this was a top line historic car? What I know is that it was built in my garage at home. It took me so long to do that they changed the rules mid build. Does having a V8 Griff make me an elitist?

Historic racing is a money sport, It can be done on a budget, I am living proof of that. Within our hobby there are always haves and have nots. ironically I find that the haves of this world are genuinely the ones who more often than not take the time to talk in the paddocks and have the genuine interest on how the car was built, how I did it on such a small budget etc etc.

I have never found elitism anywhere in a paddock at a Historic race car meeting. Maybe you have a chip on your shoulder

Perhaps the lack of discussion on the MGCC event lies in the fact that that the CSCC Test day at Snet was in the same timeframe? There were a good few cars there including lots of MGB's and Midgets, Many of which I couldn't catch in the wet.

With respect to spectators, perhaps we are just a dwindling breed of dirty fingered types in a world of I pad users whoo don't understand us??

N.

Last edited by Heightswitch; 31 Mar 2015 at 07:01.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 07:56 (Ref:3522125)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am surprised, Nick that you are surprised (so to speak), my impression is that virtually everyone who posts on this part of the forum is directly involved in Historic Racing themselves, I wonder how many of the people who paid to get into Mallory post here?
Probably none, therefore all contributors were either racing somewhere else or to busy with their own affairs to bother with what else was going on at the circuit.

I agree that a forum such as this needs a little controversy, it's only human nature that we won't all agree on everything, and should not be afraid to air our differences in public (all in the best possible taste of course.), but not having attended Mallory I personally have little interest in what happened there. Having said that I would be reasonably interested in a short report from someone like yourself on the meeting, from this I might even find cause to put finger to keypad and stir up some trouble.

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow poster I was able to attend the Members Meeting, but if I had not it would have attracted as little of my interest as Mallory.

If anyone disagrees with my views ................... put up your dukes!

Signed; A Completely Disinterested Bauble.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 08:59 (Ref:3522133)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Nick, by the same token the MGCC clubbies racing at Mallory in their sub-£10k cars might regard the Equipe GTS / FISCAR 50s types elitist due to the preponderance of Historically Important Specials and FIA HTPs (forgetting or being unaware that many of these cars have been owned since they were worth tuppence, or inherited, or built through thrift & hard labour like Heightswitch).
Controversial enough?
(cue picture of John Cleese & the two Ronnies).
Old 31 Mar 2015, 09:16 (Ref:3522137)   #7
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have been racing but I had to attend the MSA Officials Training Day on the same date.
I am always surprised there is less interest in this forum from historic racers and fans. Is there another forum where they all go? Having an involvement in historic rallying, the various forums and FB pages seem much more well populated and used.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 11:58 (Ref:3522197)   #8
simes43
Racer

simes43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ecurie / Equipe / HRDC nonsense split the existing grid three ways. It will take time to rebuild the series again.

I thought the HRDC ethos and events were the closest fit and the likely resting place for the original series. I got that wrong.

Personally, I couldn't drum up any enthusiasm for entering a Mallory clubie event and raced my other car at Donington instead.

I really enjoy MGCC events and the people are great BTW.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 12:06 (Ref:3522207)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not going to get into this contentious discussion since I was involved in helping to put the Iconic 50s grid together. It was a foul day weatherwise and would certainly have put spectators off. Grids on the whole seemed pretty good but it would be fair to say that the 'historic' content was fairly low. I cannot even comment much on the racing as I was so busy catching up with everyone and/or making new acquaintances. Did see the Iconics though, many of which were open cars in conditions that got steadily worse during its course. Some had fun, some didn't!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 31 Mar 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3522375)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's not forget that the MGCC isn't really a "historic" car club. It's a club for those that love driving, enjoying or racing MGs. Some of those are old, some of those are doddery, but many of those will be bang up to date.

I raced Spridgets with the club when they were known as "modern Midget". The BCV8 championship was for sports cars recently out of production when I competed in it. I hill climbed and autotested Metro Maestro and Montego when they were still current. These days it is ZR/ZS/ZT and I hope the latest MG3 & MG6. It is only because we who drive them have grown old that the cars of our youth are considered " historic".

One of the reason I handed in my brown and cream badge after over 30 years membership is that the management seemed determined to to turn the club into a Classic Car Club with all the increase in costs that this involves.

So John I'm really glad there was little "historic" content because the club should be about people out there enjoying themselves in their MGs of every age. Long may it continue.

Rant over.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3522385)   #11
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Oooh errr.

Thought I would dip my toe in the controversy pond and got it back in spades!!

Actually I was not there at Mallory either but that's not the point I was making which was more that there is quite often a lack of chit chat about the more ordinary races than the headline eventswhich I find strange on a historic forum. I quite agree with the comment that everyone is approachable and friendly in the pits - I have never found anyone unfriendly and in fact the last time I was at Silverstone someone I had never met before lent me his hub puller and some cash as I had lost my wallet in order that I could repair the leaking seal. Now I don't think you would find that in everyday life.

And no I'm not chippy in the slightest,quite the opposite in fact- hence my controversial comments !!

Well done on the Griff. Great effort. I too waited over 20 years to go racing so we are probably on the same song sheet on that one.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 21:56 (Ref:3522484)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oops. That didn't quite come out how I intended it to.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 06:29 (Ref:3522602)   #13
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Nick, by the same token the MGCC clubbies racing at Mallory in their sub-£10k cars might regard the Equipe GTS / FISCAR 50s types elitist due to the preponderance of Historically Important Specials and FIA HTPs (forgetting or being unaware that many of these cars have been owned since they were worth tuppence, or inherited, or built through thrift & hard labour like Heightswitch).
Controversial enough?
(cue picture of John Cleese & the two Ronnies).
Now that is a good point I had not thought of
Old 1 Apr 2015, 10:35 (Ref:3522667)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Max, no problem, I understand completely and agree that all ages of MG should have the opportunity of participating. I merely referred to the term 'historic' in the context of this thread to explain why the MGCC meets don't get the level of cover that some others do.

For what it's worth, I enjoy getting involved in 1950s races at all levels from grass roots upwards. It would be fair to say that FISCAR try to pitch races up to the level below the Classic and Revival and thus work with a number of clubs like MGCC, VSCC, HSCC, BDC, CCRC etc. It's inevitable that there is a huge variation in the value of the cars participating but the cheapest in value I would suggest is likely to be in the order of £25k and some of the top cars well into 7 figures.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3522706)   #15
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is interesting to read the comments on the MGCC event. Despite what Maz says I reckon the Club is forward thinking and not purely a "classic" club. The MG marque is now in its tenth decade so covers a wider age range of cars as times goes by. Really only the Trophy and Cockshoot cater for the more modern ZR and ZS models, the rest of the races are for older cars. Even the Metros are 30 years old!
I think the new team of John and Rob who are running the GTS series have brought all sides together and as of Race Retro have nearly a 100 registrations. Howemver I think drivers are selective in which events they do for a variety of reasons. I have an issue with some of the circuits being too far away to be practical to get to for example. For many there is a cost element.