Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Aug 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3846595)   #1501
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Charlie Whitting is saying, it's “little bit speculative” as to whether the Halo saved LeClerc.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/too-ea...clerc-whiting/

However, looking at this right hand side view of it, you can clearly see where Alonso's McLaren made contact.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ernando-alonso
Not an opinion for or against the halo - but those two articles show how the context of a quote is so important to judge what is being said by the person speaking.

In both articles, the words of Charlie Whiting are given as 'it would have been [a bit of] a miracle'. The context though is clearer in the planetf1 article.

Guardian - 'The race director, Charlie Whiting, said it would have been a miracle if Leclerc had not been struck were it not for the halo.'

PlanetF1 - 'the tyre marks could have actually been on Charles’ head. It would have been a bit of a miracle if they weren’t had the Halo not been there. There’s a huge extent of the tyre marks, as you’ve all seen I’m sure. So it doesn’t take a lot of imagination to think that that probably would have made contact with his head. But it is slightly speculative'

A reminder that context is so important when attributing comments, and that we should always consider the intent of the writer when presenting their 'evidence'?
Old 1 Sep 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3847358)   #1502
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The FiA, riding the current wave of positivity surrounding the Halo, have released a "All you need to know about the Halo" video. Just in case you needed to know.

https://www.fia.com/multimedia/video...now-about-halo

FiA set to introduce revised Halo (Halo 4) for 2021.

https://www.fia.com/multimedia/video...ting-talk-halo

Still 100% against having this abomination on the cars. Don't think my opinion will ever change. No matter what.

Old 2 Sep 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3847728)   #1503
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't say I'm a fan, but like the Honking Great Fin on sportscars, you get used to it. If it were up to me, I'd make them all look like a Lotus 49 again......
Old 2 Sep 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3847759)   #1504
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
The FiA, riding the current wave of positivity surrounding the Halo, have released a "All you need to know about the Halo" video. Just in case you needed to know.

https://www.fia.com/multimedia/video...now-about-halo

FiA set to introduce revised Halo (Halo 4) for 2021.

https://www.fia.com/multimedia/video...ting-talk-halo

Still 100% against having this abomination on the cars. Don't think my opinion will ever change. No matter what.

Aesthetically it is an improvement, though that does seem contradictory. Agreed though, 100% against.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3847762)   #1505
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I can't say I'm a fan, but like the Honking Great Fin on sportscars, you get used to it. If it were up to me, I'd make them all look like a Lotus 49 again......
It probably saved the life of/serious injury to both Sauber drivers in the last week, so it can be as ugly as it likes if it achieves that.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 04:24 (Ref:3847800)   #1506
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
It probably saved the life of/serious injury to both Sauber drivers in the last week, so it can be as ugly as it likes if it achieves that.
I recognise it is here to stay and so whatever I think is immaterial.
Your statement though is pure speculation.
At Spa the tyre hit the halo after going past his head, it may have hit his hands and steering wheel we will never know.
At Monza there is nothing to indicate the roll hoop would not have kept his head away from the ground anymore than the halo did.

All the speculative crap is doing is giving legitimacy to something that may or may not have helped.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 05:16 (Ref:3847807)   #1507
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
You must have missed that word PROBABLY.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3847808)   #1508
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
You must have missed that word PROBABLY.
And I can say it PROBABLY didn't save their lives.

Still speculation.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 06:38 (Ref:3847811)   #1509
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little help to the less informed fan would be to have the drivers name on that part of the Halo that is prominent in the on board camera view.

Not all viewers are up to date on individual helmet designs being worn at each race.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 06:43 (Ref:3847813)   #1510
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post

Still speculation.
You're literally arguing the same version of my point, and conveniently omitting "serious injury" for the sake of sensationalism.

But this is the new and improved ten-tenths, where proving someone wrong on the internet is paramount to discussing Formula One.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 06:55 (Ref:3847814)   #1511
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Still speculation.
But to the contrary we also know that it certainly didn't hurt the situation.

i dont see an issue with adding safety. its not the most attractive thing in the world but im pretty used to it now.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3847966)   #1512
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
At Spa the tyre hit the halo after going past his head...
I thought it was before. Wasn’t the tyre mark on driver right, which was the side Alonso hit? So it must have been before going over the cockpit.
Quote:
it may have hit his hands and steering wheel we will never know.
True, but it looks like it was at least close and demonstrates the point of having it.

This is no comment on whether F1 should have it or not and I’m not interested in semantics of posts BTW, just in understanding.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 21:11 (Ref:3847990)   #1513
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm on record on this thread and others that I'd prefer a full "fighter" style canopy, but I have to say the last 2 races have shown that something appears to be better than nothing.

At Spa, only full on 3D mapping of the accident could allow any sort of true conclusion as to whether the Halo protected or save Leclerc.

Ericsson's crash, I'm not so sure that the Halo was involved, the type of roll over/pirouette the pre-halo designs had a safety margin between a line from the top of the roll hoop to a point on the monocoque and the driver's helmet.
I believe that the Y at the halo is outside that line, the knocked off aero parts from the halo just added to the debris close the to helmet.

Regardless I'm just glad that it's the Halo that's being discussed and not a serious fatal injury.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 04:04 (Ref:3848045)   #1514
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
But to the contrary we also know that it certainly didn't hurt the situation.
I think this sums it up for me. So far apart from aesthetics there doesn't appear to be any downside to the halo.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 04:24 (Ref:3848047)   #1515
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I'm on record on this thread and others that I'd prefer a full "fighter" style canopy, but I have to say the last 2 races have shown that something appears to be better than nothing.

At Spa, only full on 3D mapping of the accident could allow any sort of true conclusion as to whether the Halo protected or save Leclerc.

Ericsson's crash, I'm not so sure that the Halo was involved, the type of roll over/pirouette the pre-halo designs had a safety margin between a line from the top of the roll hoop to a point on the monocoque and the driver's helmet.
I believe that the Y at the halo is outside that line, the knocked off aero parts from the halo just added to the debris close the to helmet.

Regardless I'm just glad that it's the Halo that's being discussed and not a serious fatal injury.

Yes and yes!

In the absence of mapping, which I hope someone produces, this photo seems to illustrate just how much work the HALO did.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/08...alo-was-there/
Old 24 May 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3905531)   #1516
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indycar are to introduce the newest iteration of the Red Bull designed aero screen for next season. See: https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...screen-in-2020
Old 24 May 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3905554)   #1517
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Indycar are to introduce the newest iteration of the Red Bull designed aero screen for next season. See: https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...screen-in-2020
Even uglier than the halo
Old 24 May 2019, 21:20 (Ref:3905577)   #1518
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I disagree, it looks nice, even if the screen is bigger than I imagined. That said I hardly notice the Halo anymore. I’ve blended it in with the rest of the car and it doesn’t look unusual anymore
Old 24 May 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3905588)   #1519
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it looks pretty good. Need to read more about it from a technical perspective, but it looks potentially better than the halo.

Richard
Old 24 May 2019, 23:29 (Ref:3905603)   #1520
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Even uglier than the halo
Probably far more disruptive to the airflow around the car than the HALO.
I wonder how much it distorts the drivers vision?

Really, really like the wings, probably the oval package, but F1 would do well to adopt the spec, should improve the racing no end.
Old 25 May 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3905607)   #1521
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Probably far more disruptive to the airflow around the car than the HALO.
I wonder how much it distorts the drivers vision?

Really, really like the wings, probably the oval package, but F1 would do well to adopt the spec, should improve the racing no end.
Dread to think the size of the tear offs!
Old 25 May 2019, 02:12 (Ref:3905612)   #1522
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Dread to think the size of the tear offs!
Smaller than those used on prototype racers I would assume. Not an issue for them, so unlikely to be an issue for Indycars.

Richard
Old 27 May 2019, 00:21 (Ref:3906213)   #1523
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing to remember is that this is a spec part to an already spec series.
That in itself should allow for a more aesthetically pleasing integration.

Doesn't mean I like it though....
Old 27 May 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3906397)   #1524
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the Indycar solution works well. It certainly fits in with the image of the series, of fast almost bullet speed cars. It doesn’t make that much of difference in looks to me
Old 28 May 2019, 07:47 (Ref:3906451)   #1525
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's an enclosed halo. The halo is still there, but mostly hidden by the screen bit. I think it looks good. It would be a big improvement to F1, and could be either a spec part or simply something defined by rules (so that the teams could spend millions on squeezing out a 0.0000001% advantage and then all copy each other when they see which is best).