Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Oct 2004, 04:05 (Ref:1113698)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rolex Grand Am At VIR....

Here's how they'll line-up for the VIR 400 this Sunday, which is on Speed Channel at 12:00 PM.

Papis/Pruett to the pole...again. They have 9 of 10 pole positions this year! In second, are the pairing of Angelelli and Taylor. This championship is one close battle, and neither team can hiccup now.

Michael Shank is back again, and is P3. The defending series champ, Borcheller, in the #54 car, will start in 4th, and Porsche's Brumos team will be starting 5th.

In the GT class, Milner/Jeanntt take the pole. Said/Hand are 2nd.

This is probably the closest championship battle in racing right now. It should be a good one!
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1114009)   #2
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heh, and both the #6 MSR in 3rd and #10 SunTrust in 2nd were complaining about their less-than-optimal qualifying laps.

There's an interview with Andy Wallace about the track here . There are also photos at that site.

Sounds like it could be a messy race.

Ah, and for those who didn't know, David Brabham is back in the Multimatic. They qualified 9th with a 1:47.7, 2.2sec behind pole. (Details included for context).
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1114011)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, Im willing to give Grand Am a go now I think - but here in Europe we dont have any live tv coverage so could u tell me if theres any live radio coverage anywhere? Thanks.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 3 Oct 2004 at 14:23.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1114016)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can check out www.grandam.com

They post race updates throughout practise and all during the race to. Don't really know where you could find any radio coverage though.

Its a shame you guys across the pond don't get any coverage of this series, especially since you have alot of your countrymen racing in it.

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1114020)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We do get some coverage of the Grand Am races just not any LIVE coverage, we normally get something like a 1hr highlights programme about 1 week after the race I think.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1114022)   #6
Danske
Veteran

http://www.grandamerican.com/Events/Event.asp?ID=11 Is the correct link for the race. Updates and live timing there. No web radio to my knowledge.

I'll also probably be babbling about the race on the chat room here.

Last edited by Danske; 3 Oct 2004 at 14:42.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1114079)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Hmm, Im willing to give Grand Am a go now I think - but here in Europe we dont have any live tv coverage so could u tell me if theres any live radio coverage anywhere? Thanks.
Unfortunately we don't have live coverege but we do have highlights of the race on Sky Sports on Race world two mounths later.

As your proberly aware of.

I think the last round they had on was Mid-ohio!

Last edited by luke; 3 Oct 2004 at 16:22.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1114084)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to the race I hope Andy Wallace and Milka win again.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1114209)   #9
Shady#30
Rookie

Shady#30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm starting to enjoy GA not for the cars but for the ridiculous crashes. Each of the last 3 races have featured a spectacular wreck. Speed needs to show more of the other classes instead of just the DP's. It doesn't bother me as much in ALMS that the prototypes get all the coverage but I think the other classes are far more interesting in GA.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1114290)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I have to agree with you there Shady.

Old 3 Oct 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1114313)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good race-but this track is a true gem, a must for any series in North America now.
that last lap fight heck most of it was well done.
I still feel it is so very Homegrown and amateurish- even top flight teams like Ganassi seem to be training crew here...
Old 3 Oct 2004, 21:15 (Ref:1114330)   #12
Danske
Veteran

Hmm, now I wonder if Wallace really did hit Pruett's car after the finish on purpose. For those who didn't see it, Pruett divebombed Wallace a few laps before the finish in a turn where there was nearly exactly a car width on the inside and rubbed Wallace from stern to stem, and then the two of them had words in pitlane after the race.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 00:25 (Ref:1114451)   #13
Shady#30
Rookie

Shady#30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the incident 10 mins or so before the end but I didn't see the last 2 laps or so since I dozed off (*oops*) but I saw the after-race interviews and it would seem someone was not very happy with Wallace...
Old 4 Oct 2004, 02:44 (Ref:1114499)   #14
RCSKULLY
Rookie

RCSKULLY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid double post.

Last edited by RCSKULLY; 4 Oct 2004 at 02:45.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 02:44 (Ref:1114500)   #15
RCSKULLY
Rookie

RCSKULLY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first race! Watching it was obviously very fun but I was really impressed by how you up close and personnal you can get with the cars and teams. That really suprised me. Anyways this is really one beautiful track and I really hope it gets a lil more updating because it could make for a great AMLS race. The place felt more like a golf course than a race track.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 03:54 (Ref:1114522)   #16
Danske
Veteran

I'm assuming that Wallace did hit Pruett's car after the finish but it wasn't caught on camera.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1114978)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rain seems to be the Achilles Heel of the Riley chassis....they fog up big time in humid weather....

But yesterday's race showed that SunTrust was clearly the fastest DP on the track, followed by the #01 Ganassi entry with Pruett and Papis...

Wallace charged back into it, but the Rileys were the clas of the field....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 4 Oct 2004 at 15:35.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1115120)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
That was just a great race, especially those last 10 laps.

That was no holds barred racing out there. Wallace and Pruett were really after each other, and in the wet no less. Leitzenger, and Diaz were hard at it to. Very ballsy stuff!

There's only a 5 point difference for the DP championship going into Barber next week. It should be a hell of race!

Terrible accident for Negri and Wagner! These DP's are built well, there's no doubt about that. Both guys walked away, pretty amazing.

My personal favorite, the Maserati driven by Barbosa, had a great run, coming in second. This car will be a championship contender next year.

Bring on Barber!

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Oct 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1115172)   #19
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new maserati looked pretty nice too, the white black and yellow one.

I also liked the ICY/SL vette, but they had their own problems...
Old 4 Oct 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1115437)   #20
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
T
My personal favorite, the Maserati driven by Barbosa, had a great run, coming in second. This car will be a championship contender next year.

It will be if they keep Barbosa on all the races, if they don't I can't see it hanging in there.... or perhaps I'm just biased by his nationality

anyway, i really enjoyed seeing him get third spot.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 23:48 (Ref:1115455)   #21
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is an amazingly fast driver...when he drove the Heritage mustang last year, he was putting in laps as good as Riggins within 3 or 4 laps, his first time in the car and on the track (mt. tremblnat)

Definitely an asset to any team.