Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Mar 2000, 00:44 (Ref:10700)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hello Brad,

Unfortunately I run on Dunlop Tyres in the Group 1 championship so I can't give you any direct comparisons. However some of my fellow Capri drivers ran on Yoko's at Spa last year and made up approx. 6 secs a lap. (Thats 4.5 miles).
Old 2 Mar 2000, 09:03 (Ref:10699)   #2
Brad Grant
Rookie

Brad Grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I work for a company here in Australia that distributes Yokohama race and rally tyres and Avon race slicks. We have been responsible for fitting tyres at race meetings for the V8 supercars (up to 1999)and currently for the Super Tourers (control Yokohama) plus we also do race tyres for targa type vehicles and sports sedans.(and once a year for the world super bike championship at phillip Island where we do Yokohama side car tyres). We supply the Formula ford control tyres here in Victoria and the Avon slicks for GTP and Hill climbs cars etc. We do race suspension as well and have been involved with testing and development with all categories and levels of the sport.

Anyway the reason that I mention all of this is that I would appreciate members input about their racing and tyres etc. I thought to be fair that I should first tell what I do incase some people don't wish to tell the "opposition" about their advantages/secrets etc. This is all for my own interest and knowledge and will not be used for selling anything. So I would be very appreciative and grateful to hear from any person/s involved in any type of racing, with any type of car and any type of tyre who would like to tell me about their experiences, i.e. What compounds you use, tyre sizes, brands, rims sizes, tyre constructions, weights of cars, horsepower, types of tracks , your opposition, track conditions and abrasiveness ( e.g. Phillip Island has a 14mm pebble and Winton has a 10mm pebble but they both have the same hotmix), tyre temperatures and pressures, etc etc.
Even if you have just started in the sport and think that you don't know anything please leave a message or email me.I will find a way to talk to you when it is convenient. Look forward to hearing from you.

I would like to say "thanks" to the administrators and creators of this motorsport site. It's great to be able to read and have a say about so many interesting subjects with other motorsport oriented people.
Old 3 Mar 2000, 00:34 (Ref:10702)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am afraid it would bore the pants off most of the longer term members of the board but if you go to "what do you race?" in the Racer's forum you will find a pic and description of my car and championship. You could also click on the Mallett Racing link to find my website.
Old 3 Mar 2000, 08:37 (Ref:10701)   #4
Brad Grant
Rookie

Brad Grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks peter for replying.So can you tell me a little about the championship, the type of car you drive, your tyres etc. Would love to hear about your racing. thanks again.
Old 8 Mar 2000, 18:25 (Ref:10703)   #5
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

G'Day Brad.
I used to race a B Spec Clubmans car (Mallock type with FF1600 engine), I ran that on some old Avons at first and then got some fresh Dunlop "Clubman" tyres - I think they were the control tyre for Supersports. we ran 9" rear and 7" front pressures about 12 & 14. Temps - no idea ! super sticky though - but then 105bhp on 9" tyres they damn well should be.
Now I have a Classic Formula Ford and am using the Avon ACB9, this is the early pattern FF tyre originally made by Firestone then Dunlop. They're quite good because they don't need any time to heat up and they're not too bad in the wet (compared to the later ACB10), pressures, I run 14 / 16 and the temps about 40degC, don't know if thats a good temp or not - any idea what they should be ?
Biggest problem I find with them is the high sidewall allows a lot of movement on the tread, you can sit in the pits with a high sidewind and the car moves !
Old 19 Mar 2000, 13:06 (Ref:10704)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brad I race a Datsun 1600 Group Nc Historic Touring Car, approx 100hp at the flywheel and 960kg. I race at Lakeside and Qld Raceway on 13x7 wheels and 205/60/13 tyres. I have always used yokohama tyres, because I just like them and they are my favourite brand. I originally used A008s, they lasted very well but didn't offer much grip wet or dry. I then moved on to A008Rs and found them to offer a lot of grip, especiallly in the dry but they wear out quickly. I now have 2 of those and 2 A032Rs and whilst i like the 32s they are very different to the 8s and this has ruined the balance of the car, so i shall have to save up and buy more 32s. the A032R is very grippiy in the dry and certainly the best wet tyre i have ever driven on, so far it has worn well too.