Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 6 Jan 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2100883)   #26
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's my edit of the design

Main differences are...
Removal of first chicane replaced by sweeper.
Sweeper exits onto a straight now with option (bigger) chicane.
Infield changes include a short cut, new Esses and reverse direction on straight.
Final section now leads off the Straight increasing distance from S/F straight.
Slight reprofile of 3rd and 2nd last corners, giving slightly longer appreach to final corner.

Here's the image..original layout still visible
Attached Thumbnails
Praha4 mod.png  
Old 6 Jan 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2100907)   #27
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that the pit straight and the first few corners at the end of it remind me of the new Abu Dhabi circuit for some strange reason! I also think that the chicane after Turn 3 could be removed, but that's just my opinion, and you don't have to take any notice of it if you don't want to. It's a great track, in other words.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2100924)   #28
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, SBF, if the goal is to make the track faster then your edits definitely do the job!

As I said my aim wasn't this - but I'm more than sure the drivers would love your version a lot better than mine DD

But I got a small victory: my first track where you didn't suggest the opposite direction DD

Thanx for the edit!

bio

PS: I'm nearly ready with the original Prague circuit's remastering - and you'lkl see for yourselves it's faster
Old 6 Jan 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2100940)   #29
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK, so here's my original track idea for Prague. I liked to call it Ying-Yang and you can see below why

This layout is much more dominated by straight and fast sections. The total length is 5.6 kilometers (about 9 miles). It runs counter-clockwise.

There are two straight sections, the S/F straights ore than 900 meters long and the "upper straight" which is in fact two straights connected by a very fast chicane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Praha_old.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	18739 Click image for larger version

Name:	Praha_old2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	18740
Old 7 Jan 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2101055)   #30
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bio, your graphics are great. Thumbs up. The track itself could do with SBF's changes, indeed. Keep up the good work!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 00:18 (Ref:2101550)   #31
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thanx, Lustigson!

That thing with SBF's changes - did you mean the one he's edited already or the new one (which he should)?

That's exclusively for you: a quick one near (just west of) your hometown - you probably realize the place:

The track is 5.059 kilometers (3.162 miles), the S/F straight is 1.33 kilometers (0.83 miles) long. It runs counter-clockwise (going clockwise the first section would look too much like that of Suzuka, wouldn't it? ) I tried hard to make it fast - so now it's your turn, SBF to make the neccessary changes

bio

Name:	Huizen1a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	18745 Click image for larger version

Name:	Huizen1b.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	18746 Click image for larger version

Name:	Huizen2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	18747

Last edited by bio; 8 Jan 2008 at 00:21.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2101660)   #32
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
That looks pretty cool. And there's some -- albeit modest -- elevation in that area, too. However, it's very close to some housing and near the 'Gooisch Natuurreservaat' wild life reserve, so I doubt the track will be built any time soon.

However, the Coronel Sports karting centre -- of brothers' Tim & Tom Coronel fame -- is close to this area as well, so maybe they'd be interested in investing in the track.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2101751)   #33
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Why, do you think if the houses and the wild life reserve area wasn't there it would have huge chance? DD

"It came as nothing short of a huge surprise from the FIA to have announced that in the 2009 Formula 1 season would incorporate a new venue, Huizen in The Netherlands. The track, Lustigson Circuit, was not designed by Mr. Hermann Tilke, but a so far unknown track designer from Hungary who sketched up the circuit in about half an hour.

The track was later reconsidered - and the race direction reversed - by a similarly unknown Scotsman."

Old 8 Jan 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2101818)   #34
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
PMSL

I like it.

If the scale fits, then the direction is ok.

It might need a final overtaking point though, rather than the fast sweeping section that covers most of the final section.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2101872)   #35
bio
Veteran

Hungary
The scale fits as much as the GMaps Pedometer makes it possible.

Believe it or not, in the very first quick-draft there was a much sharper and narrower finish straight entry corner - but then I decided to make it REALLY flowy this time

bio
Old 9 Jan 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2102441)   #36
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks bio for posting new content.

The graphics of the finished version of Heviz are simply astonishing! And your corner shapes are special indeed.

Huizen looks like it would be suitable to host a NASCAR road course event.

I must say I very much prefer SBF's version of the Praha circuit, but your very tribally looking original would work well, too, well, if it were increased in scale, making it longer - much longer.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2102515)   #37
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
Why, do you think if the houses and the wild life reserve area wasn't there it would have huge chance? DD

"It came as nothing short of a huge surprise from the FIA to have announced that in the 2009 Formula 1 season would incorporate a new venue, Huizen in The Netherlands. The track, Lustigson Circuit, was not designed by Mr. Hermann Tilke, but a so far unknown track designer from Hungary who sketched up the circuit in about half an hour.

The track was later reconsidered - and the race direction reversed - by a similarly unknown Scotsman."

Old 9 Jan 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2102665)   #38
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yannick,
thx for your comments!

To be (Scots)brutally honest I like SBF's version more than mine - and I mean it. If Ihad to chose I'd go for than one without hesitation. But I wanted to make it really packed with curves and corners - that's why I made one I knew I wouldn't like a lot

As for the original layout: it's almost 6 kilometers. If I made it longer I'd either have to squeeze it or I'd end up with a track that looks nicer but is way too long Third option: leaving some of the corners out. That might work.

bio

Last edited by bio; 9 Jan 2008 at 15:54.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2102666)   #39
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Lustison,
say, would your hometown welcome a NASCAR event? If so tell them I've got the plan

bio
Old 10 Jan 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2103812)   #40
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK, I guess it's time for the next one.

It's just north of the Polish town of Szczecin (don't bother even trying to pronounce it ). Szczecin - and thus the track - is in the north-western corner of Poland, next to the German border - and not further from the port most of the ferries and ships from Scandinavia arrive - so probably lots of German and Scandinavian fans would welcome the venue.

The track itself is 5255 m. (3.284 miles) long and runs clockwise.
There are some real fast sections the longest being the 852 m. long S/F straight.

It can also be used for motorbike events - the bike circle differs from the GP trackline in two places: the S/F straight exit curve has been given a much larger radius and the long "nose" before the S/F straight has been cut off with a rather curvy alternate section.

Name:	Szczecin_1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	18770 Click image for larger version

Name:	Szczecin_2b.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	18766 Click image for larger version

Name:	Szczecin_3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	18767 Click image for larger version

Name:	Szczecin_4.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	18768 Click image for larger version

Name:	Szczecin_cycle.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	18769
Old 10 Jan 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2103828)   #41
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The North-Westerley section needs revising. It's too blocky. Think curves.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2104015)   #42
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Bio, a great circuit. And your graphics are stunning. Plus the fact that you've added grandstands, by-roads, parking et al... very realistic.

Martin-1 has a point, though. Maybe you could change that area a wee bit.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2104096)   #43
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Guys,

you mean this part? Click image for larger version

Name:	Szczecin_problem.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	18773

You may easily be right - and feel free to do any edit on it. But I'm afraid I can't. I've been working on this one far too much (for the past two months) adjusting and redesigning it so many times that I don't think I could honestly make any kind of corrections. I know exactly why I made every singly inch of this the way I made it and I'd feel with any kind of correction that it'd make it worse. I understand that it would not be so but I couldn't judge it for myself - so I leave it to you.

bio
Old 11 Jan 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2104099)   #44
bio
Veteran

Hungary
One more thing: of course when I design a track it's very important that it looks good - that it pleases the eye. Here I didn't give it a damn whether I liked what I saw or not. What I had in mind was trying to find a good combination of the proper straights, curves and corners - whether they would make a nice looking circuit at the end or not - it didn't matter. In fact I don't really like the way this one looks - but, I think it's a better track than many of my tracks that are - to me at least - great to look at.

bio

Last edited by bio; 11 Jan 2008 at 10:18.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2104824)   #45
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, I seem to prefer twistier courses so now it's time for a simpler one. It's near Larissa in Greece.
The track itself is 5018 meters (3.136 miles) long and runs, surprise surprise, counter-clockwise.

Although there's one notable straight, the 1024 meter (0.640 miles) long S/F straight, there are no really low-speed corner clusters and only a handful of slow corners so I figure it's one of them faster circuits.

There's a club variation cutting off the the last corner-cluster plus the beginning of the S/F straight. Since this variation joins the GP trackline in the S/F straight another paddocks area had to be added at a shorter straight.

There's an added alternative sector after the track's descended from the hill - it adds a couple of corners to the trackline.

Name:	Larissa_1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	18775 Click image for larger version

Name:	Larissa2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	18776 Click image for larger version

Name:	Larissa3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	18777

This is the first of my track designs where there is a notable variation in altitude: after the flat S/F straight the first sweeping turn rises gradually until the turnback - that's the highest point of the track. From there there's a steady mid-inclination descent until the back straight that goes below the S/F straight's altitude. At the end of that straight there is a short but a bit steeper ascent in the two sharp corners that takes us back to the S/F straight's level. From there it's all flat. Here's an altitude-map. Green is the "0 level" that's the level of the S/F straight. Yellow-orange-red means ascent. Blue means below 0 level.

Name:	Larissa_alt.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	18778
Old 12 Jan 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2104863)   #46
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very, very nice!
Old 12 Jan 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2104875)   #47
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I agree very nice
Old 12 Jan 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2104900)   #48
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Thirded here. Simply yet effective. Two thumbs up.

And bio, dude, you should do this for a living. The work we've seen so far has been graphically detailed, challenging for racing, and extremely varied in shape, form and design.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2104911)   #49
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Folks,
thank all three of you!

When I found this site and this forum I knew it would be my place. But I also knew that my tracks simply cannot be good - and I didn't even have the faintest how bad they would be - I haven't had any kind of skills regarding track designing - I've been going totally after my eyes and common sense. Therefore I was well prepared to get the tons of crits that I was so sure would keep raining down. That's why I'm more than surprised having received so few crits and so much appraisal. I thought the graphics dept would be OK but I'm more than happy to find that there are no basic and fundamental problems with my tracks.

This all gives me a lot of faith and power - thank you all.

bio

Last edited by bio; 12 Jan 2008 at 21:25.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 16:09 (Ref:2106741)   #50
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larissa feels like what you would get if you were to merge Paul Ricard with the Kyalami of the 90s. A nice design.

I don't agree with martin-1 on the slow spot of Szczechin (spelling?) I think it fits well. What I'd change with that track is making a mixture of the outer and inner line of the section on the top right-hand side of the diagram.

Oh, and if you'd like to find out what it reads like when a design is getting bashed, feel free to look for my track "Cape Verdishe" in the elder of my two "Archive" threads. ;-)