Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 7 Jun 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2222204)   #1
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
comparisons since merger

i just wanted to know if anyone had tv viewer and spectator numbers between now and this time last year
Old 8 Jun 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2223222)   #2
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Homestead ratings up 0.1
St. Pete Ratings were flat
Motegi can't be compared well due to rain-out and live airing on ESPN Classic compared to single tape-delayed airing in '07
Kansas ratings up 0.14
Indy ratings up 0.2 (4.5 - highest rated sporting event that week)
Milwaukee ratings down .2

Milwaukee attendance was significantly up from last year (~20000 last year, ~28000 this year). Indy attendance was significantly up. Texas attendance was slightly down (possibly due to high fuel prices and very uncomfortable weather down in Texas last night).
Old 9 Jun 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2223363)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Indy attendance is a good indicator
Old 10 Jun 2008, 02:56 (Ref:2224355)   #4
anthonyvop
Rookie

United States
Miami, Florida
anthonyvop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
Homestead ratings up 0.1
St. Pete Ratings were flat
Motegi can't be compared well due to rain-out and live airing on ESPN Classic compared to single tape-delayed airing in '07
Kansas ratings up 0.14
Indy ratings up 0.2 (4.5 - highest rated sporting event that week)
Milwaukee ratings down .2
Where did you get those figures. Indy was down compared to last year and NASCAR beat them quite handily that day.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 03:19 (Ref:2224360)   #5
lnin0
Rookie

lnin0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IndyStar has a nice little blurb about attendance at Texas:

"Officials did not announce a crowd figure, but track president Eddie Gossage said attendance for this IndyCar event "has dropped almost 20 percent since 2005."

Gossage blamed the IRL's insertion of a race at Milwaukee between his race and the Indianapolis 500 for the decline, but it bears noting that the track began having two NASCAR Sprint Cup races annually that year.

Saturday's crowd was estimated at 75,000."

Or what about the fact the race starts at 9PM local time? Not good for anyone wanting to go to the race or watch it live on TV. I say punt Texas and give it to a city/track that isn't a total jerk.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 07:10 (Ref:2224437)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyvop
Where did you get those figures. Indy was down compared to last year and NASCAR beat them quite handily that day.
I just wonder wher did you take your numbers.
A friend of mine is a long time Indy attender and he can't recall such a crowd in the last 10 years.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2225426)   #7
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's probably a bit to early to tell. Peoples opinion isn't going to change over night so i think looking more at the figures in 2009 would be a fairer gauge. Me, i'm wrapped it's back together, and being an aussie i'm excited with Power (i know it's not the same, yet) and Briscoe winning already. Bring on the Gold Coast
Old 12 Jun 2008, 04:37 (Ref:2226607)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
I just wonder wher did you take your numbers.
A friend of mine is a long time Indy attender and he can't recall such a crowd in the last 10 years.
There are quite a few overhead still shots from the live broadcast floating around the internet and there were huge swaths of bare seats around the track. Probably the worst I've seen.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 04:41 (Ref:2226609)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0

Or what about the fact the race starts at 9PM local time? Not good for anyone wanting to go to the race or watch it live on TV. I say punt Texas and give it to a city/track that isn't a total jerk.
Not to be cheeky, but have you ever lived in Texas in June?

I have and there is a damn good reason for the start time!
Old 12 Jun 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2226748)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
There are quite a few overhead still shots from the live broadcast floating around the internet and there were huge swaths of bare seats around the track. Probably the worst I've seen.
On the Indy500 website there are various pics taken from different positions and the stands don't show any empty space; apparently your friends on the net took their snapshots right when some of the crowd was queuing for the WC

Oh! Probably by "worst" you mean the situation you dislike, i.e. no bare seat at all! Sorry it wasn'timmediately clear to me..

Last edited by climb; 12 Jun 2008 at 09:46.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 04:46 (Ref:2227484)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
On the Indy500 website there are various pics taken from different positions and the stands don't show any empty space; apparently your friends on the net took their snapshots right when some of the crowd was queuing for the WC

Oh! Probably by "worst" you mean the situation you dislike, i.e. no bare seat at all! Sorry it wasn'timmediately clear to me..
I can't see tens of thousands of people all seated next to one another suddenly getting up to join one another in the bathroom. Maybe it's an Indiana thing, who knows?

The "snapshots" are stills from the ABC broadcast. You're free to have a look for yourself.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 06:18 (Ref:2227497)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
I can't see tens of thousands of people all seated next to one another suddenly getting up to join one another in the bathroom. Maybe it's an Indiana thing, who knows?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2227856)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The "snapshots" are stills from the ABC broadcast. You're free to have a look for yourself.
Yes, all during cautions. And, yes, we queued up for the washrooms.

Seriously, when the yellows came out, I had time to get out, drain the vein, get some food and get back to the seat before the cleanup was done! Twice!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Jun 2008, 04:11 (Ref:2228196)   #14
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0

Actually, it did pretty well on TV. It got a 1.0 rating which is the highest rating of any IndyCar race ever aired on ESPN2.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2228251)   #15
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still haven't attracted a naming rights sponsor for the Gold Coast. The fact that no one has come up with even an attempt to give it some sort of championship status is not helping.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2229079)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it should be part of the points battle - would make it easier....
Old 17 Jun 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2231318)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Those shots were taken during cautions, when people flee the stands to get refreshments or to go to the bathroom.

I was there, and the last time I saw a crowd that big was 2005...before the split. I should know...I've been attending the race since 1967, and I know how big or small a crowd is at IMS from looking at certain seating sections.

The largest parking lot around IMS - The Coca-Cola Field - was nearly completely full by 11:30 a.m., a full 90 minutes before the scheduled start of the race, with long lines of cars still on the streets trying to find parking.

Anyone who tries to say that the crowd wasn't huge simply was not there.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2231320)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

They do, mountainstar....the aisles are packed when a caution comes out....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2231535)   #19
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Does anyone have access to shot( while racing) of the stand in say '96, '99, '02, 05 and this year?
Old 18 Jun 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2231662)   #20
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea that would be a good idea but i dont think judging the popularity of irl solely on the indy 500