Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 3 Aug 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2514849)   #1
Helms
Rookie

Helms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to buy?

I need somewhere local so i can go and try some helmets out. Any ideas?
I am based in basingstoke so somewhere not too far away really. Closest seems to be in london
Old 4 Aug 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2515598)   #2
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helms View Post
I need somewhere local so i can go and try some helmets out. Any ideas?
I am based in basingstoke so somewhere not too far away really. Closest seems to be in london
May not be close to you but options:

www.thehelmetcompany.co.uk

Grandprixracewear at Silverstone

or if you can wait until the Autosport Show in January, always good place to try them on but if you buy make sure you get the most recent safety standard if they change at the end of this year.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2515619)   #3
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Racer View Post
or if you can wait until the Autosport Show in January, always good place to try them on but if you buy make sure you get the most recent safety standard if they change at the end of this year.
Good advice there, the new SNELL standard should be available according to the smf by October 2009. This will be a SNELL SA2010 standard, and if you want to get a new helmet look for that as it will give you the longest life of the helmet. Avoid SNELL SA2000 as they will soon be out.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2517875)   #4
Helms
Rookie

i ended up going down to GPR at silverstone in the end. Chaps there said that a SA05 will be fine untill atleast 2015. under MSA probably beyond that. aslong as it lasts a good few years then thats fine to be honest.
Think im going to go for Bell or an Arai. Both fit perfectly so its down to which design i like more i guess.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2517881)   #5
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i ended up going down to GPR at silverstone in the end. Chaps there said that a SA05 will be fine untill atleast 2015. under MSA probably beyond that. aslong as it lasts a good few years then thats fine to be honest.
Think im going to go for Bell or an Arai. Both fit perfectly so its down to which design i like more i guess.
Can recomend Aria, I have a GP5W the touring car style one without the visor, although you can fit a visor if you want. Very comfy and comes with HANS posts.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2518202)   #6
jesse2609
Rookie

jesse2609 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also looking for one.. the cheaper one!
Old 10 Aug 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2518891)   #7
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you try them on with your balaclava on? (if you're going to wear one that is)
Old 11 Aug 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2519405)   #8
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
Jen-MSAR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a reminder that we also sell helmets The size chart is very good and normally a very good match to helmet/head size! So if you measure your head and work out what size you need then place an order I can normally ship out next day. As with other online stores - we are happy to exchange or refund if it doesn't fit.

www.msar-safety.com

Thanks

Jen

P.S Pesonally I use the Arai GP5W as I find it gives me a great field of vision. I use it with a visor as racing a Caterham!
Old 11 Aug 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2519791)   #9
Helms
Rookie

re: helmet

Hi Jen

Had a quick look at the site and looks good. I have a quick question.
With the sticker on the rear, (silver one) is that important to have on there? Reason i ask is that if i had the helmet sprayed, and the sticker was removed or damaged, would it pass scruitineering?
As i have noticed most helmets have a SNELL SA2005 or SA2000 sticker/ patch sewn inside the helmet. Surely this is enough for the scruitineer to see its a proper helmet? then once i get my (blue?) MSA approved sticker then its fine from there?

your input in relation to rules would be GREATLY appreciated as it seems such a grey area and I cant seem to get an exact and honest answer from anyone.

Thanks
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2520163)   #10
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hey,

The silver sticker on the back of the Helmet is normally an FIA sticker to approve that the HANS clips have been fitted correctly. These stickers can not be re issued - so if you are going to get the helmet sprayed you really need to mask this sticker off and do it well.

This sticker shows that the helmet manufacturer has fitted the HANS clips and that is very important for FIA regs. If you are racing uder FIA and using HANS - you will need this sticker on there or if you are racing on a FIA circuit such as Spa...

Hope that helps!

Jen
Old 12 Aug 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2520196)   #11
Helms
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-MSAR View Post
Hey,

The silver sticker on the back of the Helmet is normally an FIA sticker to approve that the HANS clips have been fitted correctly. These stickers can not be re issued - so if you are going to get the helmet sprayed you really need to mask this sticker off and do it well.

This sticker shows that the helmet manufacturer has fitted the HANS clips and that is very important for FIA regs. If you are racing uder FIA and using HANS - you will need this sticker on there or if you are racing on a FIA circuit such as Spa...

Hope that helps!

Jen
But if I'm only going to be racing karts and then maybe moving up to something like caterham accademy where a hanns devise is not required then it doesnt matter if i have that sticker? I doubt i would ever need or use a Hanns as i doubt id have the budget to ever race that high up so to speak...

thanks again, i really appreciate it!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2520217)   #12
Helms
Rookie

just called the MSA. they confirmed that its purely for the Hanns posts. Aslong as i have a red SNELL sticker inside the helmet then it doesnt matter. If my helmet does not have or does not need hanns posts then i dont need the silver sticker.

Just thought i would update this incase anyone else ever wondered.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2520249)   #13
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
What do you do if you have a Arai GP-5 helmet which has the holes for the Hans posts but was not fited with them and you would want them professionally fitted to get the Silver FIA sticker?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2520251)   #14
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
You can send the helmet back to the Manufactuer - Arai, and they will fit the clips for you and apply the sticker.

I can give you more details if you need them - please PM me.

Jen
Old 12 Aug 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2520362)   #15
andrew1988
Rookie

andrew1988 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
just called the MSA. they confirmed that its purely for the Hanns posts. Aslong as i have a red SNELL sticker inside the helmet then it doesnt matter. If my helmet does not have or does not need hanns posts then i dont need the silver sticker.

Just thought i would update this incase anyone else ever wondered.
Helms,

Is it really worth the bother when one day you could wish you had left it on?!

I had mine sprayed and they left the sticker on. You can hardly see it, its that small! I cant see why you would ever want it off to be honest.