Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 24 Aug 2002, 10:10 (Ref:364946)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sign-in topic!

Hi guys - would be nice to get a head count and to find out who we have reading this forum. So, go on, post your name, location and a bit about yourself below!
Old 24 Aug 2002, 11:38 (Ref:365012)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello, Im Woody from Lancashire England. Ive had my Ford XR2i road car on track a few times. Now trying to get into single seater racing, see my profile for more info :]
Old 24 Aug 2002, 11:48 (Ref:365018)   #3
hoonboyz
Racer

hoonboyz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all i'm Jason a flaggie from the Gold Coast , Australia
Old 24 Aug 2002, 22:38 (Ref:365337)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maisie, only ever been to one track day, but would be interested in learning more for if I ever get a car I dare drive at the limit
Old 26 Aug 2002, 11:09 (Ref:365902)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm Pete Mallett (surprisingly) and I live in Bucks. I race a Group 1 Capri in the CTCRC Championship. Except this year I'm having a rest while I figure out why the car isn't as fast as it should be. (No Moff it's not the driver).

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 26 Aug 2002 at 11:10.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 11:34 (Ref:365914)   #6
Brianv
Rookie

Brianv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi i am Brian Pollard aged classic driver currently prparing a BX 16V for the pre 9o series currently using it for track days ,more laps less money !!
Any more 70s&80s drivers out there ?
Old 26 Aug 2002, 14:42 (Ref:365989)   #7
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, i'm the Race Gypsy, and picked this up from new posts, so Craig that works too.
I regularly work track days for some of the Tracks in UK and USA (shush- I don't get paid for those!), and can give some stories of how paying punters approach the day - you would be amazed at how stupid some people are and think a track day is just like a blast down the motorway without the speed cop1
have fun, and learn, above all PLAY SAFE
Old 29 Aug 2002, 12:21 (Ref:368211)   #8
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey everyone, I'm Garry Hobson and I race radio control model cars around the UK. (See the 'Minature Touring Cars' thread in Armchair Enthusiasts)
I am 17 this coming october so I hope to take in some track days in preparation to tackle the CTCRC Pre-90 class by the end of the decade......
Old 2 Sep 2002, 22:24 (Ref:371662)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enter Bluebottle, waits for audiance applause, not a sausage.....

Only been to three trackdays at Castle Combe.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 22:27 (Ref:371666)   #10
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
Hey everyone, I'm Garry Hobson and I race radio control model cars around the UK.
Wow, you must have one powerful transmitter!! How long does one lap of the UK take??
Old 3 Sep 2002, 07:06 (Ref:371845)   #11
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It takes FOREVER!

Jeez, I thought we were all serious here!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:05 (Ref:372018)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You could save time by missing out the fiddly bits, like the Wash, Grimsby, Hull etc.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 15:06 (Ref:372174)   #13
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Brian why did you not come race or at least say hello at Pembrey ?
Old 3 Sep 2002, 22:36 (Ref:372551)   #14
Brianv
Rookie

Brianv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pembrey is actually 4 hours drive from my part of Wales @ my racing licence has lapsed .However i will be at Mallory look forward to seeing any of the original members there
Brian
Old 4 Sep 2002, 16:23 (Ref:373114)   #15
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I browse these forums from time to time. I'm currently getting back into instructing after an 8 year "sabatical" and have been racing around the UK these past few months accumulating signatures (for license upgrades).

I passed my instructor assessment last week at Mallory. I'm still racing though, doing mainly Fiesta Championship and Ford Championship races in a Fiesta, also taking part in the European Endurance Racing Club series (did the Willhire 6hr in August) .. Croft this Saturday

BTW, does anyone know of any good in-car clips on the web from Croft?, I've not driven it before.

Maxx (Malcolm Edeson)

Last edited by MaxxUK; 4 Sep 2002 at 16:24.
Old 5 Sep 2002, 11:49 (Ref:373699)   #16
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxxUK
I browse these forums from time to time. I'm currently getting back into instructing after an 8 year "sabatical" and have been racing around the UK these past few months accumulating signatures (for license upgrades).

I passed my instructor assessment last week at Mallory.
Malcolm (or indeed anyone else)

how do you go about getting an instructor's licence? It's something I've been thinking of doing for a while, and now that it looks like I may be unemployed soon it would be a good way of bringing in some extra money....

Do you have to have had a certain level of success? I race in historics, and do well for the car, but the car has no chance of actually winning when you put it up against the competition (and the less said about the driver etc...)
Old 5 Sep 2002, 12:28 (Ref:373728)   #17
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Yimkin

how do you go about getting an instructor's licence? It's something I've been thinking of doing for a while, and now that it looks like I may be unemployed soon it would be a good way of bringing in some extra money....

Do you have to have had a certain level of success? I race in historics, and do well for the car, but the car has no chance of actually winning when you put it up against the competition (and the less said about the driver etc...)
Yimkin,

My website might interest you as it contains answers to most of your questions, click HERE. It's covered a little in my main page and also referenced in the Diary section.

Essentially you need to have a National A license (or above) - you then need an ARDS (Assoc of Racing Driver Schools) to approve/sponsor you for an instructor license. To do that you need to call them (I can help with names/numbers) or send a CV in and ask to be invited to their next assessment day. This will likely cost you, Mallory was £50, if you pass (and 50%+ don't - there is much more to it than just being able to drive well) there is then a fairly complexed process of to and fro forms etc. and another bill for you for £125 (1st year ARDS Instructor license).

You then have to do enough good work for the school to sponsor you in subsequent years.

You need to be self-employed and deal with your own tax/national insurance etc.

You then need to hunt for work, theres not that much around and you generally only work 8-9 months of the year (the warm bits) and maybe 2-3 days a week (many don't get even this much work).

Pay wise you generally get £100 per day (there are some better paid days but these are rare), out of that you have to pay for your own transport, food etc. etc.

It's really not a thing to do in isolation, most instructors have other self-employed work which allows them to make ends meet (as I do). It is hard work but can be lots of fun.

If I've not put you off and you need more info, drop me a mail (link on website).

Maxx
Old 5 Sep 2002, 13:13 (Ref:373755)   #18
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxxUK

If I've not put you off and you need more info, drop me a mail (link on website).

Maxx
many thanks Malcolm!

I'm off to Goodwood in half an hour (as mechanic, not driver, sadly!), but will have a good look at your site and mail you when I get back!
Old 5 Sep 2002, 17:57 (Ref:373947)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just thought I'd say hello.

Hello

I race a Jaguar XJS and do track days in it too. Occasionally I do track days in an E-Type too. I've done days at Oulton, Mallory and Donington (approximately the nearest tracks to me).
Old 6 Sep 2002, 09:10 (Ref:374305)   #20
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Adam,

Hi, I like the XJS [but I'd hate to be the one paying the fuel bills]. I note (from your website) that you've been to one of my favourite circuits, Lydden Hill, bet the XJS was a bit of a handfull there

Are you doing the Jaguar Car Club day at Croft this Saturday?
I'm racing in the European Endurance Racing Club endurance race on the Saturday.

BTW, I've just had my first instructor job offer, it's at Mallory Park on 14th November, run by Javelin Motorsport who I've done a trackday with before. I like their operation as they keep the costs right down, Mallory is all day for just £105 (http://www.javelin-motorsport.co.uk/...h&Ref=20021114)

Maxx (Malcolm Edeson)
Old 9 Sep 2002, 14:58 (Ref:376525)   #21
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I race a '69 F3 Tecno with the HSCC and in Europe (2nd season - fab!) and run activity track events that benefit charity (Circuit Stars) as well as 'A Good Cause at Goodwood' - my day to benefit cancer charities in memory of Robert, my husband who died in '99 and raced for over 20 years. Visit www.agoodcauseatgoodwood.com to see the fun! I run track events here, and in the south of France at two close circuits from next February.

Not really an ad as we do a lot for charity and generally try to put something back while we have a great time with our customers and the cars...
Old 9 Sep 2002, 15:10 (Ref:376533)   #22
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Jenny,

Sounds like a good cause (no pun intended) - if you need an instructor for any of your charity events (FOC of course) then drop me an email and if I can make it I will.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 07:52 (Ref:377124)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Watcha, Stephen Green as the name implies. Marshal at Brands Hatch mainly but have been known to make the odd excursion to Lydden Hill, Silverstone and Goodwood.

Like all marshals I'm a frustrated racing driver (or wish I was) but enjoy most forms of motorsport as long as the racing is close.

I would love to do a few fast laps with some of the guys and girls who post in the ten-tenths forums just to see and feel what it's like from the other side of the armco.

Jenny, if you ever need marshals for your charity event please let me know and I will see if I can summon a few able bodies together. Alternatively post in the Marshals Forum, it might save you the cost of paying for track marshals on the day
Old 10 Sep 2002, 12:36 (Ref:377366)   #24
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, guys, for the offers of help - really appreciated. Will keep you posted on the next one and see if we can arrange a hot lap in something...! It's nice to have fun as well as putting something back.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 13:19 (Ref:377387)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Will you be at the Brighton Speed Trails this weekend Jenny?