Alguersuari 0 0%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Jun 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2889399)   #51
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Whilst I disagree with much of the above (sounds like sour grapes to me), I will comment that you seem to be dissing LH for actually trying to overtake other cars, on a track where overtaking is very very difficult. OK, he cocked up big time, but at least he tried. Webber didn't. Being happy to sit behind other cars for the whole race in the vain hope someone conks out or crashes isn't really racing, is it?

And since when was being overtaken by another driver being 'shown up'?
I wouldn't consider trying to overtake when the inevitable result is a collision unless the preceding driver kind of jumps out of the way which he cannot be expected to do to be "racing" either. In racing steward lingo I would call that "causing a collision".
Old 1 Jun 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2889429)   #52
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Splatz the Cow, fastest laps don't mean much though. Webber did not do much all race. He made a bold move on Kobayashi (which only came off when Kamui ran himself wide) but other than that he has not done a lot with the Red Bull all year. I can't see how he can be driver of any day so far this year, with the possible exeption of China.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2889442)   #53
jedrinck
Racer

With refuelling banned, fastest race laps really don't mean much anymore. It is actually very likely with the necessary balance of tire preservation and speed nowadays that the race winner does not score the fastest race lap and leaves that to Webber instead.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2889532)   #54
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
With refuelling banned, fastest race laps really don't mean much anymore. It is actually very likely with the necessary balance of tire preservation and speed nowadays that the race winner does not score the fastest race lap and leaves that to Webber instead.
When you climb up off the floor there's something you should know.

Vettel likes to accumulate everything that's going, pole positions, race wins and fastest laps. Mark knows this and likes to prove a point by denying him. On Sunday Seb set the fastest lap on his last lap and so it remained until Mark came along and beat it. No points, but some satisfaction.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2889545)   #55
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lewis 'Ali G' Hamilton. Out of protest.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2889547)   #56
jedrinck
Racer

You have a point there, that situation occurred because of the red flag thing, so they both had some fresh tires to go for fastest lap instead of Vettel dragging the car to the finish line on worn rubber. But then I don't think Vettel went all out for a fastest lap, how stupid would that be if he crashed showboating like that. I guess he is satisfied posting the fastest qualifying lap these days.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2889550)   #57
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Lewis 'Ali G' Hamilton. Out of protest.
What against? The Syrian president's rule?
Old 2 Jun 2011, 09:00 (Ref:2889830)   #58
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
For me driver of the race : Jenson just because he was IMHO the fastest man out there, too bad the red flag spoilt his race.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2890011)   #59
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It's interesting to compare the votes on here with those on James Allen's website, which are currently:

1. Jenson Button with 1,696 votes giving him 31.47%
2. Fernando Alonso with 1,521 votes giving him 28.22%
3. Sebastian Vettel with 843 votes giving him 15.64%
4. Kamui Kobayashi with 756 votes giving him 14.03%
5. Pastor Maldonado with 527 votes giving him 9.78%

The big difference is over there Alonso has picked up a load of votes, but here just three and I'm wondering why that is.

A legacy from 2007 perhaps or maybe from the Teflonso period?

I thought he drove very well on Sunday and could very well have won had the race run full distance without the red flag fiasco.
Strider, I think that someone who is a rather obvious candidate often loses out may well be the main reason. Alonso drove a fine race (as usual), but Button is many people's 'big team driver non-race winner' vote of the race', particularly considering he overcame more raceday adversity than Fernando. I think this largely accounts for it.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2890251)   #60
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
James Allen is also very pro-Ferrari, which does tend to attract the pro-Ferrari fans (not many on here). The same thing applies to other sites where the author is typically pro-one driver/team or another.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 00:57 (Ref:2890295)   #61
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel knows how to keep em at bay. Had a little help on this one though. The winner is the winner.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 04:51 (Ref:2890864)   #62
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
What he said! (although you didn't mention he was in the fastest car)

I'd have been surprised if Webber didn't set the fastest lap under those conditions.
Red Bull had the fastest driver but don't think it was the fastest car on his track. The fan-boys will disagree as usual.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2891437)   #63
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Red Bull had the fastest driver but don't think it was the fastest car on his track.
To some extent I'd agree - over a single lap Vettel had the advantage for sure. Race pace looked a lot more even between Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2891478)   #64
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The Red Bull looks to be a very fast car on brand spanking new soft tyres. But after that......
Old 8 Jun 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2893205)   #65
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel for me. Right now, the kid is pooping gold.