Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Apr 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3632897)   #1
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
CJFG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2016 TCES Season

I've only just got around to mentioning this. This year is the first of the Touring Car Endurance Series and a few weeks back I went to the opening round, the 24 Hours Of Silverstone. I was just wondering if anybody else went and overall what do people think of the concept? I know touring cars run in classes in other endurance series, like the 24H Series and the VLN, but to have a standalone endurance series for touring cars seems new (to me anyway.)

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea what to expect but the racing was pretty good and there were nice little extras (opening the grid-walk for all fans, keeping a grandstand open throughout the night and having 3 or 4 open during the day, and the brass band that played rather upbeat music as opposed to the usual songs and hymns at sporting venues.) These were bonuses, but nice extra touches nonetheless.

The race was won by the #246 BMW M3 V8 run by Team ABBA With Rollcentre Racing driven by Charles Lamb, Richard Neary, Richard Roberts and Martin Short after starting 41st (dead last.) The bulk of their progress was made early doors, by the end of the first hour I'm pretty sure they were running in the top 10.

But there was good racing in all classes, and including a TCR class was wise, given the availability and popularity of the cars in various series, both national and international.

Anyway I'm just curious to see what anybody else makes of it?
Old 16 Apr 2016, 17:18 (Ref:3633426)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Watched the first part of the race. Good battle between de SEAT's.

Although the cars are less interesting on their own as GT's for a change it's fun to have a endurance race for touringcars.

Hopyfully in the next couple of years there will be 15 or more TCR cars on the grid.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3633464)   #3
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Watched the first part of the race. Good battle between de SEAT's.

Although the cars are less interesting on their own as GT's for a change it's fun to have a endurance race for touringcars.

Hopyfully in the next couple of years there will be 15 or more TCR cars on the grid.
Personally I thought it was more interesting without the GT's on the bill but each to their own mate. The sight of the field heading into turn 1 was strange with a Seat up front, but after a while it seemed perfectly normal.

If my vague memory serves me right I think there were 11 or 12 TCR cars which made up about a quarter of the grid (41 cars in total.)

The next race is at the Slovakiaring (24 Hours) in mid-June, the final round for this year at Meppen (12 Hours) in September.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3633631)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think it has a lot of potential - they want to expand the series to 6 races next year, so interest in the series seems to be good.

Personally, I'd make those extra three races six-hour events, that would make for a nice mix. (Well, I would make Meppen six hours and add a new 12h race at a more scenic track).

And if we could then get a couple of factory-supported TCR-teams a la Blancpain GT it would really be something quite spectacular.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 10:03 (Ref:3634757)   #5
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think it has a lot of potential - they want to expand the series to 6 races next year, so interest in the series seems to be good.

Personally, I'd make those extra three races six-hour events, that would make for a nice mix. (Well, I would make Meppen six hours and add a new 12h race at a more scenic track).

And if we could then get a couple of factory-supported TCR-teams a la Blancpain GT it would really be something quite spectacular.
There were rumours, from drivers, media and staff at Silverstone that they want at least 5 races next year. I heard that on more than one occasion. Whether or not they will incorporate them as 6 hour races, I'm unsure.

For me, it doesn't matter if there are teams that are factory-backed or not. I'd like that to happen, it would give the series more exposure and reputation, but as someone previously said I think it's more important that they try and expand both the field and the TCR class. Given the availability of the TCR cars, and the relatively low cost (both for the cars and the spares), it could attract more teams and drivers. Plus, if they were clever with their scheduling, they might be able to get teams, from both national and international TCR championships to join.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3634776)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Was it on TV at all?
Old 19 Apr 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3634783)   #7
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Was it on TV at all?
The entire race was on Motors TV and the TCES website streamed it live too. I think it's now on Youtube, though I'm not 100%.