Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 13 Aug 2019, 08:54 (Ref:3922540)   #4376
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Can you still do handbrake turns with it Mike?
You beat me to that by 60 secs E.B.!!!
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3922542)   #4377
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
You beat me to that by 60 secs E.B.!!!
Ah! Perhaps. There is a time difference, he was either 11 hours and 59 ahead or 12 hrs. 59 min behind depending.

Or course my maths might not be completely accurate, but you get the idea.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3922546)   #4378
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
On the electronic handbrake & driving lessons scenario, most of the electronic thingies are also self releasing, so the old hill start (is that still part of the test?) will be a piece of cake as there's no need to balance the clutch biting point with releasing the handbrake. Plus, a lot of the VAG range also have automatic hold on the (electronic) handbrake too. This means that anyone who is only used to these will be totally flummoxed when they encounter a 'real' handbrake!
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3922550)   #4379
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
This means that anyone who is only used to these will be totally flummoxed when they encounter a 'real' handbrake!

A bit like me when I went to the States for the first time, back in the early 80s, and my hire car had a foot operated parking brake that was adjacent to the brake pedal (on a automatic). I can remember desperately trying to find the hand brake lever so that we could set off from the airport, as back then they didn't automatically release.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3922552)   #4380
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Can you still do handbrake turns with it Mike?
You certainly can’t! Having started out in motorsport doing all the club stuff like autotests (or whatever they’ve been rebranded as now) and rallies I was quite adept at the handbrake turn. Great fun.....
Old 13 Aug 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3922575)   #4381
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Regarding passing a driving test, with several cars now having electric self applying handbrakes if you pass your test in one and then buy one with a "conventional" type I think that this will cause a problem for several people
We often get HGV drivers in our place that can't drive a manual truck, I wonder how they'd ever get on if given something with a Fuller Roadranger box or similar.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3922576)   #4382
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A bit like me when I went to the States for the first time, back in the early 80s, and my hire car had a foot operated parking brake that was adjacent to the brake pedal (on a automatic). I can remember desperately trying to find the hand brake lever so that we could set off from the airport, as back then they didn't automatically release.
Mike, I often hop into new cars at work and then spend ages looking like a complete idiot while I first search for the (keyless) start button (the Ford Kuga has it in-between the central air vents!) and then the handbrake switch.
With regard to the pedal operated parking brake, they're fine on an automatic where you have a 'spare' foot but I havce driven a few manual cars with these too. You need to be like 'Jake the Peg' to do a hill start in one of those!
Old 13 Aug 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3922577)   #4383
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I guess Merc don’t fit the pedal operated handbrake to new cars now, but it was still present on the Vito- or at least until recently! The release is hand operated though, with your right hand, and it works fine. As mentioned by others, it is funny when someone who isn’t familiar with the system tries to move one.....
Old 13 Aug 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3922579)   #4384
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I guess Merc don’t fit the pedal operated handbrake to new cars now, but it was still present on the Vito- or at least until recently! The release is hand operated though, with your right hand, and it works fine. As mentioned by others, it is funny when someone who isn’t familiar with the system tries to move one.....
But I don't like to do the 'chocks away' release technique, it seems too violent. I prefer to cushion the pedal with my foot when releasing the brake.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3922583)   #4385
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very odd the other day when having lesson (2nd and a different car)

that the handbrake was just some minute button.Did take some getting used to.Don't mind it though I do prefer something physically.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:26 (Ref:3922635)   #4386
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I see two TV ads have been banned for ‘gender stereotyping’.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49332640

Thanks ASA for making the decision for me, as I’m totally incapable of deciding for myself!
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:54 (Ref:3922643)   #4387
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How bloody pathetic!!!
Old 14 Aug 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3922654)   #4388
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
How bloody pathetic!!!
?!!!

The problem with this forum that it perpetuates the stereotyping of MEN as the only sex that cares about Historic cars, rarely do we se a female post here.

You are all guilty of limiting the potential of women to post here, building in an image of macho hairy chested males as the only ones capable of loving old cars.

One never sees the caring side of men, no family pictures of little babies puking over your racing overalls, no adorable kiddies in historic prams being pushed by smiling Dads. Where are the stories of muscle bound girls wrestling with vintage Bentleys on a rain sodden circuit?

What this forum needs is a lady moderator whose sole job will be to monitor posts to ensure that all submissions meet a 'gender balanced' code of conduct and with content, that does not reinforce any pre conceived ideas that men don't love children and that women are just as capable of loving a 1960 Cooper as they would their own offspring.

No more stereotyping on the Historic Forum must be our mantra from now on..

N' If any Sheila is offended by this post hard chees, start your own forum. Love!
Old 14 Aug 2019, 09:42 (Ref:3922673)   #4389
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
How bloody pathetic!!!

Spot on, Terrence. And typical of the BBC in it's current state to pick up on it.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3922675)   #4390
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You only need a handful of Single Issue Fanatics to attain positions that allow them power and authority in order to reach a position whereby the majority (and most sensible views on life matters) go unrepresented and minority views hold sway.

The problem is that the SIFs will mostly be driven people for whom their issue of choice defines the entire world as well as their own righteousness.

In normal times these people are identified and contained in some way within representative society.

In abnormal times they gain the power and control they seek and wreak their own personal version of havoc. In the worst cases wars are fought.

It is perhaps pertinent to observe that the last generation to have the full experience of war (in most of Europe) is now disappearing and that the American generation that partially experienced something similar over the extended period of the Vietnam conflict is also thinning out.

Maybe the younger generations will have to go through their own experiences to properly begin to understand what the silent majority's silence can lead to.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3922676)   #4391
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was a survey recently that suggested that millenials want to be governed by dictators. Go figure as they say.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3922677)   #4392
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Spot on, Terrence. And typical of the BBC in it's current state to pick up on it.

Of course the BBC only advertises itself so anything that may adversely affect the operations and income of other media, paid for by advertising, would be welcome and worth making available to a wider audience.

And of course the nature of the media bubble is that it exists primarily to promote the views and opinions of Single Issue Fanatics and, in more than a few cases, provide them with employment without which they would probably be unemployable.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3922678)   #4393
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
There was a survey recently that suggested that millenials want to be governed by dictators. Go figure as they say.

Well, they are.

By virtual dictators like Google, Microsoft, Apple and others in the visible vanguard with a few banks underpinning them and the shadow of the UN cast upon the political scene.

To recent generations that situation is "normal" because it has always been part of the their lives since they formed a perception of the modern world as they grew out of childhood.

On a 'local' basis anyone in the UK under the age of about 50 probably has little experience of life without the day to day influence of the EEC/EU presented as a beneficial life enhancer.

As the perception of the ability of "democracy" to deliver elected leaders with leadership qualities deteriorates the majority of the population might well opt for some sort of self appointed leader to alleviate the need to make them think about anything but themselves.

The chances that the all want the same sort of dictatorship must be very low.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3922683)   #4394
bauble
Veteran

England
The Arab Spring demonstrated that even people who have lived their whole life under some form of autocratic government can revolt eventually, and while it is true it has not worked out too well in most cases, it indicates that the human spirit persists. Like wise the people of Hong Kong demonstrating against their Chinese masters is another example.

While remote from the UK, it gives hope that 'humanity' might one day overcome those who seek to 'rule the world'. Maybe we should make Scotland independent.

The one thing that would make all the difference in this country would be to ban 'professional politicians', we have far too many MPs who are unqualified in the real world and rely on degrees in political philosophy or some such absurd subject.

President Trump might not be the perfect American President, but he has lived in a commercial environment and not the Political Bubble that other Presidents have come from.

Some years ago I was in dispute with the Financial Services Authority over a fine they wanted to impose on me, which I disputed. I wrote to the Financial Omsbudsman (a neutral body) asking how I should go about registering a complaint. I received a letter back telling me they had contacted the FSA who confirmed that I owed the money, and that I should pay up immediately.

Very even handed I thought.

Bauble proudly racist, homophobic, sexist, and anti some religions.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3922685)   #4395
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

Peter, if anything like the Today programme this morning, the Beeb will be putting this story in a negative way. John Humphreys gave the executive from the ASA a bit of a tongue lashing when he interviewed her, and basically told her that were being more than overly sensitive. Especially as the ASA had only received 2 or 3 complaints about the adverts in question.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3922686)   #4396
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The Arab Spring demonstrated that even people who have lived their whole life under some form of autocratic government can revolt eventually,
Actually, it wasn't about freeing themselves from the yoke of oppression, or whatever, it was about trying to take over and getting their snouts in the trough. Egypt was a typical example. In fact many were bought off by their ruling classes. F'rinstance Qatar gave its civilian people a 25% pay rise whilst the civil defence and military received 30%.

Bahrain was a pawn in the hoomin rites Nazis' game because they well knew that every Friday after prayers there was a street battle between Sunnis and Shiites. Always at that particular roundabout. However once the HRNs saw this they immediately held it up as a fight against oppresion. Again the Bahraini government paid the rioters off and it's all peace and light again. Except the Friday street battle has moved.

Soo all about money, not human rights.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3922690)   #4397
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Peter, if anything like the Today programme this morning, the Beeb will be putting this story in a negative way. John Humphreys gave the executive from the ASA a bit of a tongue lashing when he interviewed her, and basically told her that were being more than overly sensitive. Especially as the ASA had only received 2 or 3 complaints about the adverts in question.
The Vine prog will be discussing it in the next 2 hours, and my impression is that the emphasis will be on ridiculing the ASA....

Fortunately I won’t know for certain as I won’t be listening!
Old 14 Aug 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3922723)   #4398
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually, it wasn't about freeing themselves from the yoke of oppression, or whatever, it was about trying to take over and getting their snouts in the trough. Egypt was a typical example. In fact many were bought off by their ruling classes. F'rinstance Qatar gave its civilian people a 25% pay rise whilst the civil defence and military received 30%.

Bahrain was a pawn in the hoomin rites Nazis' game because they well knew that every Friday after prayers there was a street battle between Sunnis and Shiites. Always at that particular roundabout. However once the HRNs saw this they immediately held it up as a fight against oppresion. Again the Bahraini government paid the rioters off and it's all peace and light again. Except the Friday street battle has moved.

Soo all about money, not human rights.
Probably the usual story Pete, the 'politicians' taking advantage of the populace to engineer an uprising to further their own ends, but I like to think they succeed because of the will of the people to be free. Sadly usually swapping one dictatorship for another.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3922825)   #4399
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Grant, I can only assume from your determined defence of a commercial pilot’s right to start their ‘shift’ with alcohol or drugs in their system, and possibly put hundreds of lives at increased risk, that you are one in another life......
I can remember two drivers cars that would not pass scrutineering until the empty whiskey bottles where removed from the car !
Old 15 Aug 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3922826)   #4400
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
We often get HGV drivers in our place that can't drive a manual truck, I wonder how they'd ever get on if given something with a Fuller Roadranger box or similar.
Scammel six speed. Fuller much the same as a Volvo or Scania, piece of cake.
Closed Thread