Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3923513)   #4526
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The Jose Meifret story that Bauble was mentioning a couple of posts previous had me googling for more info and pics .... found some of his 'tow'/ shield car, an MB 300SL Gullwing, but what staggered me was the 120 tooth drive gear.... almost the size of the front wheel.

Thanks for the story Bob. Oh and yes I have watched the Worlds Fastest Inian more than once and thoroughly enjoyed it.
EB; I saw Jose in action at the 1952 British Grand Prix meeting when he did a demonstration lap of the circuit paced by Geoff Duke on a Manx Norton. That is how I knew about him, and the article on Eurosport jogged my memory.

A truly amazing man.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 20 Aug 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3923522)   #4527
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Outback Truckers" - I'm sure it's on an obscure Freeview channel. (EB, that's our terrestrial digital TV service) I di watch "Ice road Truckers" for a while and it sounds like a spin off.
Old 20 Aug 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3923523)   #4528
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
"Outback Truckers" - I'm sure it's on an obscure Freeview channel. (EB, that's our terrestrial digital TV service) I di watch "Ice road Truckers" for a while and it sounds like a spin off.
Yes it was on a freeview channel, but don’t think currently. I found it more entertaining than the few Ice Road progs that I watched.....
Old 20 Aug 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3923525)   #4529
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
EB; I saw Jose in action at the 1952 British Grand Prix meeting when he did a demonstration lap of the circuit paced by Geoff Duke on a Manx Norton. That is how I knew about him, and the article on Eurosport jogged my memory.

A truly amazing man.

Cheers,

Bob
Maybe there is enough interest for the Mods to start a specific thread about cycling, similar to the Tea Break thread? I'd be up for it and I have a sneaking suspiscion Bauble might want to get involved.

...I'll get me coat
Old 20 Aug 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3923532)   #4530
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Mmm, that needs some thought.

Although hardly a massive engineering project, the Great Yarmouth ‘Venetian Waterways’ (boating lake) was officially reopened today after restoration. The interesting part for me is the fact that it was created in 1928, hand dug by unemployed locals, many WW1 veterans, as part of an ‘employment relief’ programme.

Good to see it back to pristine condition again, just in time for the bank holiday weekend.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019...m-restoration/

https://www.imperialhotel.co.uk/blog...tian-waterways
Old 20 Aug 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3923533)   #4531
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Brilliant idea, Alan. Let me suggest some titles like "Les rois de la petite reine by bauble" or better "Les rois de la pédale by Bob!"…
Old 20 Aug 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3923542)   #4532
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Although hardly a massive engineering project, the Great Yarmouth ‘Venetian Waterways’ (boating lake) was officially reopened today after restoration. The interesting part for me is the fact that it was created in 1928, hand dug by unemployed locals, many WW1 veterans, as part of an ‘employment relief’ programme.

Good to see it back to pristine condition again, just in time for the bank holiday weekend.

That piqued my interest Mike. I don't recall any reference to such a development when we visited GY a few years back.

Here's what part of the place (and one of the craft) looked like 60 + years ago.

https://www.francisfrith.com/great-y...s-c1957_g56071

Them were the days.
Old 20 Aug 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3923544)   #4533
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That’s a great pic and shows one of the ‘animal head’ Gondolas, although it’s actually a fish......

I would imagine the attraction was closed when you visited. It’s located north of The Golden Mile where the pleasure beach is, so perhaps not obvious unless you explore a bit......

Old 20 Aug 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3923548)   #4534
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That’s a great pic and shows one of the ‘animal head’ Gondolas, although it’s actually a fish......

I would imagine the attraction was closed when you visited. It’s located north of The Golden Mile where the pleasure beach is, so perhaps not obvious unless you explore a bit......

Likely closed, Mike, as you say but now I've looked it up on the maps I'm fairly sure we would have driven straight past it coming in from the north.

Would probably need an SUV to be up high enough to spot it. Especially as a non-working and presumably un-sign posted 'attraction' at the time.

Just checked - September 2014. Good grief. What happened to the last 5 years?
Old 20 Aug 2019, 20:51 (Ref:3923550)   #4535
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really good listen.Kevin Turner should definitely get himself to a Peter Auto event.

https://www.autosport.com/podcast/
Old 20 Aug 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3923560)   #4536
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Any pedalos for Bauble?
Old 20 Aug 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3923562)   #4537
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Really good listen.Kevin Turner should definitely get himself to a Peter Auto event.

https://www.autosport.com/podcast/

Very interesting podcast on one of the greatest Sportscars of all time. The Autosport podcasts are well worth a listen
Old 20 Aug 2019, 22:12 (Ref:3923563)   #4538
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

The BBC has some more info and another pic of how things used to be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...vamp-completed

Looks like there is some potential for racing something that floats. A figure of eight course seems to be possible and would fit in somewhat with the Stock Car racing just up the road.

I wonder if a V8 powered boat could get under the bridges?

Last edited by grantp; 20 Aug 2019 at 22:23.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3923566)   #4539
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Any pedalos for Bauble?
Steady on.... Nothing wrong with pedalos. I was on one only yesterday
Old 21 Aug 2019, 05:12 (Ref:3923581)   #4540
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Steady on.... Nothing wrong with pedalos. I was on one only yesterday
Ah, of course, you’re in Southern Europe at the mo, not the Southern Hemisphere!
Old 21 Aug 2019, 05:53 (Ref:3923584)   #4541
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Worth reminding that Autosport Editor, Kevin Turner, is our own John Turner’s boy. Great to have someone so keen on motorsport history in that position! Kevin also posts (when he has something to say) on tenths using the same user name as his twitter handle......

Last week’s print edition of the mag is worth finding, as it has some great 917 pics in the 50th anniversary feature.

I’ve got the definitive Porsche Museum / Walter Naher book on individual 917 histories if anyone ever wants to know any factoids- if I can lift the thing onto a table! The Museum has released a ‘50 Jahre Porsche 917’ hardback called ‘Colours of Speed’, that sounds worth the £16.55 a certain retailer has it advertised for...…

Running out of time to get to the actual exhibition..... https://www.porsche.com/museum/en/sonderausstellungen/
Old 21 Aug 2019, 06:16 (Ref:3923585)   #4542
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Worth reminding that Autosport Editor, Kevin Turner, is our own John Turner’s boy.
Posts as KRT917.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3923589)   #4543
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Worth reminding that Autosport Editor, Kevin Turner, is our own John Turner’s boy......
He also started doing some of the Goodwood commentaries alongside Marcus Pye didn't he? Thought they made a very good double-act. It was when Henry HF was still with us. I haven't been to Goodwood for a couple of years so I don't know if Kevin still does it?
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3923592)   #4544
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Any pedalos for Bauble?
Whatever floats your boat!
Old 21 Aug 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3923614)   #4545
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's also commentated alongside Titch at the Silverstone Classic 3 or so years back but hasn't done either for a while. He had to turn down one invite to do Goodwood again, a year or two back for family reasons which probably conveyed the wrong impression, but family has to come first. I am prejudiced, of course, but I thought he came across well both alongside Marcus and Titch and we do need the next generation to get involved!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Aug 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3923615)   #4546
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreeed John. And yes, if you turn Goodwood down they rarely come back again. That said if he can get in the box for Spa or the Classic again, he'll get back to Goodwood.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3923621)   #4547
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you are right, Peter.

I've actually just listened to that podcast and it is still weird listening to a close member of your family coming through the airwaves. Good stuff though!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Aug 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3923648)   #4548
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There is another historic tenther who’s son is also employed by Autosport (or Motorsport Network), but not for me to say whom.......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 21 Aug 2019 at 18:04. Reason: Clarification
Old 21 Aug 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3923669)   #4549
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The BBC has some more info and another pic of how things used to be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...vamp-completed

Looks like there is some potential for racing something that floats. A figure of eight course seems to be possible and would fit in somewhat with the Stock Car racing just up the road.

I wonder if a V8 powered boat could get under the bridges?
Looks like the perfect course & size for the jet boats raced in New Zealand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h8G6QdlbdM
Old 21 Aug 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3923670)   #4550
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Looks like the perfect course & size for the jet boats raced in New Zealand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h8G6QdlbdM
Now they are very impressive. Can operate in about 8 inches depth of water!, too, used water jets. I went on the “Shotover Jet” boats - the tourist thrill ride equivalent. Can turn througj 360 deg in their own length.
Closed Thread