Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Jul 2003, 21:55 (Ref:673732)   #1
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Cars and returning Ex-Stars

Just a rumour as reported at another forum.

Franchitti back to CART According to Eurosports Stefan Heinrich, during yesterday's shortened live coverage from Vancouver, word in the paddock was that Rocketsports Racing will have a second car for next season and the driver will be Dario Franchitti. Franchitti is currently recovering from back surgery and is out for the remainder of this season. He also reported additional cars for 2004 will be announced in the next few weeks by Team Rahal and Patrick Racing. As we understand it, once the new CART owners are known, and its future secure, a number of positive announcements regarding the series will be made, these rumored to be three of them.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 00:57 (Ref:673810)   #2
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rumor I heard was that AJ Allmendinger would be in the second Patrick car next year.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 01:06 (Ref:673812)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting... I thoguht Karl Russo wanted to make the move up with him, but maybe that's not possible.

Would Franchitti be welcomed back? I think, overall, he would be as he was always fairly popular when he was here. He did say a few nasty things about Cart, but none of it made the headlines the way the likes of Michael Andretti, Chip Ganassi and Roger Penske;s did.

I think it might be a bit awkward though.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jul 2003, 01:32 (Ref:673822)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Pook paying for these additional cars? The bank doesnt look like it could sustain another year of funding 1/2 the field
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Jul 2003, 01:38 (Ref:673824)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
No, the ESP thing is pretty much done after this year and the teams know it... yet most of them don't seem to be worried and the one car teams are almost all pursuing 2nd cars...odd I guess.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jul 2003, 02:08 (Ref:673831)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I'm just curious though, would you guys welcome him back? Just a scenario: He comes back next year, you're at a Cart race and he pulls up to you on a paddock bike to say 'hello', what would you say to him?
Old 29 Jul 2003, 02:27 (Ref:673842)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't remember anything nasty coming from Dario about CART. He was always positive about the series. Perhaps he may have said one or two things about stewarding, but hell, we do that as well!!!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 03:14 (Ref:673860)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
He did accuse the Cart safety team of delaying his return to action because of where he was headed the following year...

I have split thoughts. I remember what he said, but on the other hand, I know he is unhappy in the IRL (or so his close friends say), and would like to come back to Cart. Still...both him and Paul were offered huge sacks of cash to go to the IRL next year...Dario took it. Doesn't speak well of your morals...if that's important.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 03:24 (Ref:673866)   #9
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If CART's teams continue to become better funded it's a no brainer that more drivers would likely entertain coming back. Dario may just be the first.

Last edited by The Snout; 29 Jul 2003 at 03:25.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 03:27 (Ref:673868)   #10
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay,

Dario would be welcome, albsolutely. It's like he barely went to IRL. Who has any memory of him at all in IRL? What he do three races, not even Indy? Most of his salary is coming from Llyod's of London not AGR. This year is more like Injured Reserve.

I think Dario was comfortable with AGR, but not so with the IRL format. Tony Kanaan and Bryan Herta (of all people, he is so pro-CART too) seem more comfortable with it. The only thing that holds Dario back is salary. Who besides Honda can afford him?
Old 29 Jul 2003, 03:29 (Ref:673869)   #11
rodrigomarban
Racer

rodrigomarban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard during an IRL race that Dario didn't want to return to IRL because it is very dangerous. I presume he wants to return to CART.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 03:42 (Ref:673873)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
If he lowers his asking price, I think a few Cart teams could. Definately Gentilozzi could - only question is 2 cars..though Tags has an agreement and seems sure he'll be back next year with Paul.. ...perhaps Dario's learned his lesson and will consider things other than cash.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 03:48 (Ref:673875)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Drivers follow their rides - plain and simple. Getting a ride and keeping it is the primary goal of any professional driver (see Memo Gidley). To many drivers, an IRL ride is far preferable to no ride at all. Dario moved to IRL because that is where he got a ride. If he can get one in CART - good for him and CART.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 04:09 (Ref:673881)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Actually he was offered Bruno's seat at Newman-Haas. I don't know the whole situation there, but apparently they were about a million apart. He went for the cash.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 04:14 (Ref:673882)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Why not follow the $$$? Supposing of course, that this indeed was the case. And, if true, why should Dario take less than what he believes he is worth on that market? You spend years getting yourself into that position you should be able to reap some reward.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 04:16 (Ref:673883)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario might have to do more than lower his asking price, in fact he might have to lower the teams' asking price if he wants a ride. Newman-Haas is probably his only shot, and there is a good chance that there won't be an open seat there. Herdez might be able to pay him, but I can't see them hiring him. PK can pay him too but driving for those clowns is like driving in circles anyway, so why bother when Andretti can pay him more. Forsythe is pretty much out of the question since he is still hoping to find sponsors to keep his 2 contracted drivers. Rocketsports is not as well funded as they seem to be, as they took Tag because they wouldn't need to pay his salary. Patrick is an option but UE seems to be looking for a super mean ugly evil American driver, so that looks unlikely too.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 04:24 (Ref:673886)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Maybe if we dressed Memo Gidley as Julio Iglesias and had him speak with an exotic accent we could get him a ride...or possibly slip Dominguez a mickey, slap his helmet on Memo's head and send Memo out instead. Be a heck of an improvment.

CART presents few options for the top-echelon drivers these days. And there is already a chasm between the "top" drivers and the second echelon in the series as it is.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 29 Jul 2003 at 04:26.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 05:51 (Ref:673897)   #18
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I'm just curious though, would you guys welcome him back? Just a scenario: He comes back next year, you're at a Cart race and he pulls up to you on a paddock bike to say 'hello', what would you say to him?
[humor]I would probably say "Hey Dario. I think your wife is hot."[/humor]
Old 29 Jul 2003, 06:54 (Ref:673928)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Dario to CART isn't really a new rumour. That in itself may lend it credence.

I remember Dario's comments re: the safety crew as if it were only yesterday. I became a non-fan that very instant. Blast the officials, blast other drivers, even the promoters if you wanna be a real butt-head, but never, ever blast the Simple Green guys. That's unwritten rule number one. Just to think that they would have intentionally left him in a potentially life-threatening situation based on his switching to the IRL was allbut blasphemous.

I guess I'd welcome him back into the series, but not necessarily with open arms. He'd really have to work hard and talk fast to get back onto my "favourites" list any time soon.

I think Dario followed Honda, not really as much for the money, as for the potential shot at F1. Did he ever get a test? Now he realizes (perhaps too late) that that ain't likely to happen doing what he's doing. Especially if Ecclestone or PK take over the reigns of CART. Or especially if he ends up with a fractured vertebrae in his neck before he ever gets his chance.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 07:02 (Ref:673932)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His wife has more money than either of them can count. Dario has no excuse but greed for why he went to the IRL. He walked out the door on his own, I say we lock it shut behind him!

The return of a traitor would have a hugely demoralizing effect up and down pitlane. It would greatly diminish the resolve it took for those who remained to do so.

Dario was never worth much to the series anyhow. Rather stale personality-wise, and nothing to write home about on-track (Ralf Schumacher-esque, sometimes fast, but never exciting).
Old 29 Jul 2003, 08:48 (Ref:674012)   #21
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The return of someone who can actually drive a champcar might just be a welcome sight after the weekend just gone. I think Dario didn't quite burn his bridges when he left, nearly, but I'm sure he'd be welcomed back as a challenger for the title. Lets face it 3/4 of the current field don't stand a chance
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:21 (Ref:674091)   #22
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario is just like David Coulthard......always second best. One of the most over rated drivers in a long time.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:26 (Ref:674103)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How will he get himself out of the AGR contract? Unless AGR sack him for missing races due to riding his bike, which was forbidden in his contract.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:27 (Ref:674104)   #24
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh god I'd love to see Dario back, hopefully he can be the first of many to make the trek back to CART. And, as long as he comes back, I'll forget those not so nice comments he made
Old 29 Jul 2003, 10:44 (Ref:674125)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well I am not going to get into this "loyalty" discusssion - well I am, actually! First, should someone's salary be determined by how much their spouse makes? That is ridiculous! How would you like it Lee if your boss told you: "Well your wife is doing pretty well, so we think you should take a pay cut even though you are one of our better employees."?

Second, so what if anyone goes to IRL? I guess we would all have to dislike Wayne Gretky because he played in the WHA, rather than the NHL first?

Let's get real. The PR value of Dario coming back would be a huge boost for CART and way more newsworthy than "Dale Coyne Racing signs Geoff Boss." However over rated he may be, a "name" coming back to CART and the implication that IRL isn't everything it is cracked up (no pun intended) to be would be great for the series.

Making decisions on the drivers character/ability based simply on what series they drive in is just plain short-sighted.