Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Jun 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1630061)   #1
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Michael Edick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's Walter Lechner

I'm going to post this again in the hopes that more eye's may see it...

I would very much like to get in contact with Mr. Walter Lechner, who won the very last European Formula Super Vee championship in 1982.

I own a Ralt RT5 FSV that belonged to him way back in 1980, and would love to get more history from him about what he did in the car, who he sold the car to that it would wind up here in the USA, and ultimatly in my hands.

I've tried to contact Walter via email thru his racing school's website with no luck...I'd telephone the school, but I'm afraid that the time difference between California and Austria might be too much, plus I'd probably get someone who doesn't speak English, as I don't know how to speak Austrian!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Michael Edick
www.mteengineering.com
Old 8 Jun 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1630191)   #2
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael

The chances of finding someone in Austria who doesn't speak English are negligible in my experience. About as rare as - I'm embarrassed to admit - finding someone in England who does speak German.

As their website is in both German and English and invites English readers to phone them, I think you can be quite confident.

Allen
Old 8 Jun 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1630221)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mind you, learning the phrase "Guten Tag - sprechen sie Englisch bitte?" would be courteous, if nothing else

Bob Marley
Old 8 Jun 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1630233)   #4
Henk A. Hazelaar
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Henk A. Hazelaar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael,

Try www.lechner-racing.com and you can find Mr. Walter Lecher and his sons.

Regards,

Henk A. Hazelaar
The Netherlands
Old 9 Jun 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1630680)   #5
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Thank you all!

I'll give him another shout via email...maybe it'll get thru to him this time...if not, I'll try the direct (telephone) method.

BTW, have you checked out the "Fotogalerie" on their website? Some very nice looking eye candy...

Will keep you posted as to my progress!!
Old 10 Jun 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1631084)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Recently I tried to order a rear wing spoiler from my car from the US and man I was really struggling understanding the girl and she me even after 20 minutes she got the us delivery address hopelessly wrong and we are meant to speak the same lingo!

Controvesly I sometimes have to order stuff for my business from continental Europe and I can confirm especially in Germany the girls on the phone speak impeccable english and were way easy to understand than my American operator! I do agree start with the 'sprechen sie English bitte' phrase though.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1634706)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His son Robert definately speaks good english as did most of their team when they were in FF in 96 over here. Very generous with the Jim Beam provided by their sponsors as I recall too!
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1637260)   #8
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Great news!

Walter has replyed to my emails, and we are trying to detail out my cars history as it relates to Walter, altho it's been well over 20 years, and some memories are hard to come by!

He is going to try and dig up some old photo's of the car "from back in the day", and has even invited me out to Indy with a couple of tickets as his team runs the Porsche Super Cup!
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1637536)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great result, Michael. Please let us know what you learn!
Old 21 Jun 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1638191)   #10
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edick
Great news!

Walter has replyed to my emails, and we are trying to detail out my cars history as it relates to Walter, altho it's been well over 20 years, and some memories are hard to come by!

He is going to try and dig up some old photo's of the car "from back in the day", and has even invited me out to Indy with a couple of tickets as his team runs the Porsche Super Cup!
Wow! Nothing has changed with the Lechner Family then. I hope you go to Indy - F1 is a spectacle anywhere, but it would be awesome to see F1 cars run at Indy!

While you are there, ask him about our Kiwi comrade, the late Ashley Stichbury. Walter wrote a heartfelt tribute to Ashley at the time of his passing that shall stay with me forever.

When Walter regards you highly, you know that you have almost made it