Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3843125)   #61
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Damon wasnít a *total* rookie in 1993; heíd scraped into a couple of races for Brabham in 1992.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3843127)   #62
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Damon wasnít a *total* rookie in 1993; heíd scraped into a couple of races for Brabham in 1992.
Those things were pretty desperate, I think we can consider him a rookie in 1993.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3843189)   #63
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Of course, both he and DC had done serious testing miles for Williams before stepping up to race seats, back in the day when being a test driver meant something.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3843191)   #64
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, but that was standard for rookies back then. Someone here once said JFV wasn't a rookie because he had a lot of testing - as if the other rookies hadn't. Hill and DC especially did.

Testing is all well and good, but it isn't racing.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3843409)   #65
Nononsensecapeesh
Racer

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon Hill is not the worst World Champion, I don't even think there is one, if there is then it's possibly Phil Hill.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3843435)   #66
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, logically there must BE a worst world champion, even if it isnít a particularly helpful perspective. Harsh on Hill, P., I think. On a separate note, Fittipaldi doesnít get much love when people look back, I donít know why. Perhaps because his Zf1 career fizzled out with Copersucar?
Old 13 Aug 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3843455)   #67
Nononsensecapeesh
Racer

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Well, logically there must BE a worst world champion, even if it isnít a particularly helpful perspective. Harsh on Hill, P., I think. On a separate note, Fittipaldi doesnít get much love when people look back, I donít know why. Perhaps because his Zf1 career fizzled out with Copersucar?
Not saying Phil Hill was a bad driver but made bad choices in his career after his 1961 title. Plus he only ever won 3 races and only 98 career points as a result of said bad choices.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3843461)   #68
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, you can argue there must be a worst champion. However, it is as impossible to identify as the best. Perhaps it isn’t possible as the competition varies and the actual requirements and situations and context vary over the years too.

One other reason why this is a daft topic is that is based on the negative rather than the positive. Arguing who is the best focuses on the virtues. This concentrates on the negatives. Which, I believe shows more about the poster than the topic of discussion. Having said that this was, I think, started to debunk the theory and list positives. Many best driver discussions focus on why someone isn’t the best by pointing out their failing. Perhaps rarely do people want to say why things are good.

Well that has thoroughly depresssed me with the state of the human condition.

Old 13 Aug 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3843472)   #69
Nononsensecapeesh
Racer

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes, you can argue there must be a worst champion. However, it is as impossible to identify as the best. Perhaps it isnít possible as the competition varies and the actual requirements and situations and context vary over the years too.

One other reason why this is a daft topic is that is based on the negative rather than the positive. Arguing who is the best focuses on the virtues. This concentrates on the negatives. Which, I believe shows more about the poster than the topic of discussion. Having said that this was, I think, started to debunk the theory and list positives. Many best driver discussions focus on why someone isnít the best by pointing out their failing. Perhaps rarely do people want to say why things are good.

Well that has thoroughly depresssed me with the state of the human condition.

Why should there even have to be a worst F1 Champ?
Old 13 Aug 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3843474)   #70
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Because if you take a group of individuals then logically one of them must be the worst at something. It doesnít make it a useful exercise but there it is.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3843475)   #71
Nononsensecapeesh
Racer

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Because if you take a group of individuals then logically one of them must be the worst at something. It doesnít make it a useful exercise but there it is.
MMM HMMM...
Old 13 Aug 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3843477)   #72
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Why should there even have to be a worst F1 Champ?
Deep.

That was what I was discussing. It more followed on from BSchneiderFan’s post where he pointed out there must logically be one. I thought was a valid point, as was his comment about it not being a helpful perspective. I was elaborating on that.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 00:00 (Ref:3843494)   #73
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
I can see why someone would say Phil Hill, the Ferrari was so dominant that season, the only thing that beat it, was the genius of Stirling Moss
Old 14 Aug 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3843499)   #74
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree with Adam, apologies to ASCII but if we’re going worst it’s probably JV. But that is similar to P.Hill, in the sense that was down to career choices rather than ability. Wasn’t there a McLaren seat on offer for JV at one point?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3843501)   #75
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The BAR project was what killed Villeneuveís career. Craig Pollock was hopelessly out of his depth, Adrian Reynard vastly overrated his organisationís capabilities, the Mecachrome engine was outdated and Honda, when they came along, took years to get up to speed. But JV, one assumes, chased the dollars. Look where it got him.