Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 30 Oct 2016, 18:00 (Ref:3684063)   #1
RLubbock
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester Essex UK
RLubbock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing with the OEKC in UK

This was recently posted on a site by an OEKC driver.

2016 is winding down and thoughts are turning to 2017. What race series offers the best value for money and best thrill value?

I currently race in the OEKC British Endurance Karting Championship in a Rotax Max. For £240 entry fee you get 1 hour of practice, 15 minutes qualy and a 4.5 hour race. That's 5 hours 45 minutes of driving time.

There is of course the running costs to be considered but with teams of between 2 & 4 drivers you can spread the costs out. Most teams run the Rotax Max engine due to it's reliability and the fact you can get through a season with only 1 re-build half way through the year. The OEKC are introducing a new class next year which will allow you use a junior max engine on a senior chassis and I hear you can get through the whole season without a re-build. The class will have a lower minimum weight which means the new class should be fairly comparable to the senior max.

The owner-driver option is suitable for some racers but some prefer to have there equipment prepared and run for them. There are 3 teams running drivers in the championship so there are a number of options available.

The next question is the bang you get for your buck- I have raced in pro-karts, D-Max and Club 100 and none of them come close to a full race Rotax Max.

The OEKC has some of the best drivers I have seen in my 22 years of motor racing. There are many ex Super 1 drivers and drivers who were competitive in many high level karting, single seater and tin top championships. The racing is close and the camaraderie between the drivers and teams is fantastic. The OEKC has 9 rounds held over 6 different circuits

So, is there any comparable championships out there that can offer all of this?