Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jan 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1511837)   #1
wants2know
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
wants2know should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grp C/Grp A - where are they now - JPS BMW 635 CSI

I'm trying find information on the where-abouts of the JPS BMW 635 CSI cars as driven by Jim Richards at bathurst in the mid 80's.
Can anybody help with info?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1512142)   #2
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
cornermsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A forum member used to own one of these cars!!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1512207)   #3
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wants 2 know - there were around 5 of them if memory serves - the oldest, the Group C car went on to become Jim Keoghs Group A car, the maroon one. One has been seen irregularly in ATCC in the last two seasons, but it's not David's preferred car as he also has a later M3.

The Bowdens own another one and it has come out for display from time to time.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1512258)   #4
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think there were 4.
The ex-Group C car that Keogh got
The ex-Alpina car that Crichton drove
The JPS-built 635 for Richards in 1985 (owned by Dave Towe, now sold)
The JPS-built 635 for Richards in 1986 (ended up with the Gulsons)

Longhurst drove 3 different 3 series bimmers for Sir Cranky Frank in 1986.

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1512320)   #5
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bowdens own two .... one that was raced and one that was never raced.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1512493)   #6
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
check out the Longhurst 3 series cars on Race Cars Direct
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1512531)   #7
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
Bowdens own two .... one that was raced and one that was never raced.

There was one that was never raced??? I always thought the Gulson car was the last one built.....

Here's a link to those E30's for sale -
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/d...id=31268&cat=6
Old 31 Jan 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1513095)   #8
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
There was one that was never raced??? I always thought the Gulson car was the last one built.....
That is the way Chris told the story. Apparently it was the spare for a season and never turned a wheel in anger. When they bought the race car the deal from BMW was that they had to take the "spare" as well - sight unseen (this was after BMW spent crazy money restoring the race car and the decided it was no longer required) - a fire sale if you like. As it turned out the "spare" was a fully built, race spec car in pristine condition.......

Send them an e-mail - they will have all the chassis details etc.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1513274)   #9
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My old car is now owned by Adrian Brady who plans on a full resto. then racing in historics. It was the 85 ATCC winning car with Richards at the wheel number 62 in Group A spec.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2145407)   #10
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless they are very good replicas there are two of these in New Zealand, one owned by Graham Dodd in his private collection in Christchurch and the other owned and still raced by Jim Boult of Queenstown (most recently raced at the Skope Classic at Ruapuna Feb 2008).
Old 6 Mar 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2145414)   #11
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Just further to that i have photos of the Graham Dodd car which I'm happy to email to someone if they would like to post them here (I don't know how to do it!).
Old 6 Mar 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2145481)   #12
Adrian B
Rookie

Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Graham Dodd's car is an ex JPS/Archibald car from 1986.
Jim Boult's car is the the second JPS Group C car (built from a GpA bodyshell), converted back to GpA early 1985, used by Neville Creighton for Winton, then sold to Jim Keogh.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2145716)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Wants 2 know - there were around 5 of them if memory serves - the oldest, the Group C car went on to become Jim Keoghs Group A car, the maroon one. One has been seen irregularly in ATCC in the last two seasons, but it's not David's preferred car as he also has a later M3.

The Bowdens own another one and it has come out for display from time to time.
There were two Group C 635s, the first one built for the 1981 season for Allan Grice, was driven in 1982 at select events by Jim Richards, last raced at Bathurst in 1982 by Denny Hulme/Stephen Brook....AFAIK this car is still around & still in Group C trim.

The other one was built for Bathurst 1982, and used by the team through to end of the formula in 1984. As mentioned this car was converted to Group A specs by Frank Gardner's team, run by Neville Crichton in the first few rounds of the 1985 ATCC (Crichton's car was on a ship over from NZ after the NZ series), and later in the year was bought by Jim Keogh.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2230745)   #14
CRD
Rookie

Australia
CRD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ex Jim Keogh car WAS a Group C car, I can say this as it was bought by a friend of mine Peter Hudson and run by Peter, my dad Ian Carrig and Ian Clark in the 1989 Pepsi 300 at Oran Park, the 1989 and 1990Sandown 500 and dad drove it at an ATCC round in 1990 at Phillip Island. It was the car that had the periscope camera in it as the patch could be seen in the roof. Peter sold it in 1991 to Jim Boult in New Zealand.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2498731)   #15
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Just an update on this, Jim Boult sold his car to Peter Sturgeon in Christchurch earlier this year.

So if my understanding is correct, we have:

1. The first Group C car built in 1981 for Grice and still possibly around somewhere in Grp C trim. Possibly one of the Bowdens ones?

2. The second Group C car built for Jim Richards in 1982. Run by Neville Crichton at Winton in 1985, then to Jim Keogh, Jim Boult and now Peter Sturgeon. This was the car with the periscope camera fitted.

3. The first Group A car in which Jim won the 1985 ATCC, bought by Jim then David Towe and now with Adrian Brady.

4. The JPS / Archibald Grp A car built for Neville Crichton in 1985, now with Graham Dodd in Christchurch.

5. The final Grp A car built but never raced, also with Bowdens.

Sound about right?
Old 10 Jul 2009, 03:53 (Ref:2498754)   #16
Adrian B
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
Just an update on this, Jim Boult sold his car to Peter Sturgeon in Christchurch earlier this year.

So if my understanding is correct, we have:

1. The first Group C car built in 1981 for Grice and still possibly around somewhere in Grp C trim. Possibly one of the Bowdens ones?

2. The second Group C car built for Jim Richards in 1982. Run by Neville Crichton at Winton in 1985, then to Jim Keogh, Jim Boult and now Peter Sturgeon. This was the car with the periscope camera fitted.

3. The first Group A car in which Jim won the 1985 ATCC, bought by Jim then David Towe and now with Adrian Brady.

4. The JPS / Archibald Grp A car built for Neville Crichton in 1985, now with Graham Dodd in Christchurch.

Sound about right?
Not quite (but close)......

1. First Group C car (grice) was made from an ex-European Group 2, now owned by Dean Howe in Melbourne.
2. Second Group C car (Richards, Gardner) was built from BMW motorsport Group A shell, converted back to GpA at end of 1984, now with Peter Sturgeon.
3. 1984 Bathurst car GpA, 1985 ATCC, Better Brakes, Endurance Championship car used by Jim Richards. Sold to Garry Rogers in 1986. Now with me.
4. Neville Creighton's 1985 car, sold to Archibald. Used by Charlie O'Brien for some events in 1986. Now with Graham Dodd.
5. Richards early 1986 car (wasnt ready for the start of the season so he used the 1985 car for 2 rounds). I think sold to Archibald in mid 1986, driven at Bathurst by Bartlett and Crowe. In NZ now. I will check the name of the present owner.
6. The last GpA car was built 1986, used by JR/TL at Sandown, Bathurst, JR at Calder, Oran Park. Sold to Ray Gulson at end of 1986 and used for many years at Bathurst. Now in the Bowden collection.
7. There was one extra car that never raced in Australia and was going to be turned in to video game ride, but never happened. I think this car raced in Europe before arriving in Australia. Is now in the Bowden collection.

I think........

Adrian.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 03:58 (Ref:2498757)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post

Sound about right?
Jim Richards debuted a new 635 at the Sandown ATCC round in 1986, possibly went to the Gulson's for 1987 and beyond, so that makes at least 6.

The 1985 ATCC winner went to Garry Rogers in 1986...was it reshelled at one point due to an accident?

What was the origin of the #9 Trevor Crowe/Kevin Bartlett JPS 635 from Bathurst 1986 (presumebly used by Crowe at the AGP support race in JPS colours, #73)? Was it the ex-Crichton car? Was it the car that came within laps of winning the 1986 Wellington 500 with Crowe/Longhurst driving (or is this the same car?)

EDIT - Adrian has cleared it up above
Old 10 Jul 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2498921)   #18
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to cloud the issue further... I thought I remembered reading that Crichton bought the 1984 Group A car that Count Von Hamburger fingered in practice... and that Our Jum got the new car for the 1985 ATCC...
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2498991)   #19
Adrian B
Rookie

[QUOTE=racer69;2498757]
The 1985 ATCC winner went to Garry Rogers in 1986...was it reshelled at one point due to an accident?

No it wasn't reshelled, but repaired. The car was later also heavily damaged when owned by Joe Sommeriva but also repaired . When we restored the car the we found that there wasnt a straight line on it, and the shell was considerably shorter on one side than the other. Now all corrected.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2499015)   #20
Adrian B
Rookie

I have just re-read through the old posts on the 635 thread, and according to Gerard Hodges the '85 Creighton car(#4 above) is now owned by Allan Drinkrow in NZ. And the early 86 car (#5 above) is owned by Graham Dodd also in NZ. Both are ex-Archibald cars.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 02:30 (Ref:2499264)   #21
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Adrian for that summary. Anuone care to take a stab at where the JPS M3s are today?

I know David Towe has one and there is one in Mobil livery up for sale. Didn't one become a mobile art work?
Old 11 Jul 2009, 05:22 (Ref:2499292)   #22
blinkybm
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
blinkybm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were at least 3, probably 4, maybe 5, JPS M3's built by Frank Gardner in 1987.
#1) Early test car, ex 325i
#2) David Towe NSW, built early '87 by converting 325 Group A to M3 Group A specs, used in first round of ATCC
#3) Nick Rahimtulla WA, full M3 built just prior to Bathurst '87, now '87 JPS colors
#4) Jervis Ward VIC, full M3 built just prior to Bathurst '87, now Mobil '88 colors
#5) BMW Art Car - Jagamura Nelson - was a Bathurst car

One of these became the Sax car - I think #2 above - raced at Bathurst as ViaCard entry.

#3 and #4 were sold to Brock/Mobil, and another one or two were built in 88. Three cars raced in '88 ATCC in Mobil colors - Brock (white grilles), Richards (black grilles), Crompton (red grilles). Both #3 and #4 became Doulman/Cotter/Bob Holden/NZ, both came back here. One of the Mobil 88 Bathurst cars also became a BMW Art Car (Ken Done). Fourth car crashed at Wellington???

Others may be able to elaborate on this in more detail.

Last edited by blinkybm; 11 Jul 2009 at 05:28. Reason: bc
Old 11 Jul 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2499347)   #23
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkybm View Post
There were at least 3, probably 4, maybe 5, JPS M3's built by Frank Gardner in 1987.
#1) Early test car, ex 325i
#2) David Towe NSW, built early '87 by converting 325 Group A to M3 Group A specs, used in first round of ATCC
#3) Nick Rahimtulla WA, full M3 built just prior to Bathurst '87, now '87 JPS colors
#4) Jervis Ward VIC, full M3 built just prior to Bathurst '87, now Mobil '88 colors
#5) BMW Art Car - Jagamura Nelson - was a Bathurst car

One of these became the Sax car - I think #2 above - raced at Bathurst as ViaCard entry.

#3 and #4 were sold to Brock/Mobil, and another one or two were built in 88. Three cars raced in '88 ATCC in Mobil colors - Brock (white grilles), Richards (black grilles), Crompton (red grilles). Both #3 and #4 became Doulman/Cotter/Bob Holden/NZ, both came back here. One of the Mobil 88 Bathurst cars also became a BMW Art Car (Ken Done). Fourth car crashed at Wellington???

Others may be able to elaborate on this in more detail.
As far as I can figure out the re were 5 M3s built
#1) my car which was built from an unfinished 325 project, always log booked as an M3 and raced in at least the first 3 rounds including the win at Lakeside and possibly 5 rounds (Longhurst in round 5 at Sandown)?. Sold to John Sax late 1987 used by him for three years, then sold on in NZ several times before returning to OZ in 1999
Then in no particular order,
#The others) A sister car to mine which was raced by Jim in Round two and Tony in rounds one and three. There were three more. The Viacard (Trevor Crowe) car had the rear air jacks behind the rear wheels and it appears to be the only car built in this layout. This was the car Jim used at Calder in the middle of the year in the endurance race.
Which car did Finnauer race at the three rounds he got to run? It would seem a fair presumption it was an older car as he was the junior driver for the team, possibly my car?? They would have had at least three cars by the time they got to Amaroo Park in June to choose from. Has anyone got any pics of Goofy in those races?
The two art cars are the key. Did either of them have the air jacks behind the rear wheels? One of them had the bonnet pins in the same location as mine (wide out on the bonnet where as the other 3 cars had them about 40 mm further inboard)
Two (or three) of these cars went to Brock, Richards and Crompton for 1988. Two cars then went to Cotter and Doulman, two cars went to BMW as Art Cars
The easy part is that at the end of 88 there were two art cars (Ken Done and Michael Jagamara Nelson), two Cotter/Doulman cars and mine at John Sax in NZ, that part is easy to establish, but who drove which at where in 87/88??
Sax ran two cars at Bathurst in 1989, mine driven in to the wall at Forrests Elbow by Craig Turner and the car Sax drove which self immolated a lap or two later at The Cutting, so where did he get two cars from?
Now I'm confused, I need a good lie down
To help nail this saga down we need some pics of the art cars showing the bonnet pins and air jack positions, help please????
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2499358)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Jul 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2499359)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House