Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Sep 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1700819)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, what now for the Lola's?

So, what will happen to the current Lola's? And what would you do with them?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1700820)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
EuroBOSS, Formula Libre, buy them all and set up a "Palmer Audi" style arrive 'n' drive, buy a couple and offer "Drive A Champ Car" track day.....
Old 3 Sep 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1700841)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be an experience, driving a Champ Car Lola around Brands Hatch or Silverstone...
Old 3 Sep 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1700843)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
That would be an experience, driving a Champ Car Lola around Brands Hatch or Silverstone...
See, there's a market already! And for anyone that does such a thing, IT WAS MY IDEA AND YOU OWE ME 10%!!!!
Old 3 Sep 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1700934)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps the cars will become the new GP Masters machines? Lets face it the current car is a bit of a rolling disaster at the moment.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1700944)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Perhaps the cars will become the new GP Masters machines? Lets face it the current car is a bit of a rolling disaster at the moment.
Are these problems not more engine related?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1700945)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well if it does it is a waste. Those cars deserve to be driven at more than 22mph.

Champcar, if you are reading this, I have space in my living room for a spare Lola. Give me a PM if interested.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1700968)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know many teams will be keeping them where they are based like many teams do on display. How could they sell their chassis to the IRL teams for their first Indy 500 in 1996?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 03:22 (Ref:1701167)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some will be show cars for a while.

Some will be retained in teams collections.

Some will be sold to racers to use in US BOSS.

Champcars compared to F1's are much easier to service and will provide the same kick in the pants for a historic racer. You can read up on it here:

http://www.lolachampcar.com/

We'll see these cars continue to race for many years to come.

It's time to say goodbye. It's been a great car, but I look to the future. When the last race goes, I'll probably have tears in my eyes. It will also sever the dna link to the last Indycar that raced in the last Indianapolis 500 back in 1995.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 05:51 (Ref:1701220)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Well if it does it is a waste. Those cars deserve to be driven at more than 22mph.

Champcar, if you are reading this, I have space in my living room for a spare Lola. Give me a PM if interested.
Cool Knowlesy , you must a pretty good lounge room if you can get up to more than 22mph in it
Old 4 Sep 2006, 06:21 (Ref:1701235)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about "Euro Champ car" alongside SCSA at Rockingham, Lausitzring (spelling?) with a few road circuits thrown in for good measure (eg Donington, Brands Hatch GP, Estoril, Zandvoort etc)?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1701486)   #12
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
How about "Euro Champ car" alongside SCSA at Rockingham, Lausitzring
I'd have thought that they would be too expensive to set up a championships of this nature, with a decent sized grid (say 15-20 cars). I'd agree with Mountainstar in that some will end up in US BOSS or maybe Euro BOSS and that others will become show cars and I suspect that some will end up in various museums.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1701625)   #13
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
It's time to say goodbye. It's been a great car, but I look to the future. When the last race goes, I'll probably have tears in my eyes. It will also sever the dna link to the last Indycar that raced in the last Indianapolis 500 back in 1995.
Although it is a sad situation...you have to realize that it was just too expensive for new teams to start up and grow. At least with this new chassis, there are teams that want this series to be successful & we will once again thrive.

Who knows, the new Panoz can be the new prototype for the Indy 500 in the VERY near future?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1701832)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
Cool Knowlesy , you must a pretty good lounge room if you can get up to more than 22mph in it
lol....Yes, OK Captain Pedantic...
Old 5 Sep 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1701943)   #15
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the latest article by Kirby on the CC site, the Lola's can still be used in the offseason for driver testing.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1704896)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Once teams have the new chassis I doubt they will continue to use the old ones though. Long-term the BOSS series is the most likely place for them.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1705314)   #17
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
How about "Euro Champ car" alongside SCSA at Rockingham, Lausitzring (spelling?) with a few road circuits thrown in for good measure (eg Donington, Brands Hatch GP, Estoril, Zandvoort etc)?
Would be a nice idea, but ther's already has too many level 2 single seater championships (CCWS, IRL, A1, GP2, WSbR, F3000, Nippon, GPM and so on and so forth), not enough talented drivers with budgets as it is.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1705336)   #18
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know how many were built and how many are still in serviceable condition?
Old 10 Sep 2006, 05:54 (Ref:1706350)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe 82 is the number.

There was a thread last year on this based on a kirby article on the champcar website. The article had all of the production specifics.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1710476)   #20
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But even used, a used Champcar still costs over $100K? Or could the cost really drop now b/c they're no longer actively raced?
Old 14 Sep 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1710590)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
Would be a nice idea, but ther's already has too many level 2 single seater championships (CCWS, IRL, A1, GP2, WSbR, F3000, Nippon, GPM and so on and so forth), not enough talented drivers with budgets as it is.
Yes but series like the above are generally aimed at young aspiring drivers with ambition to either win in Champcar or F1. There is another market however, gentleman drivers, a lot of the kind of guys we see in sportscar racing and touring cars. Yes I know these cars are fast but then so are cars many gentleman drivers race such as LMP1 and LMP2 prototypes and big GT cars and I see no reason why that providing they are of a decent standard they coudnt safely race Champcars.