Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2794425)   #1
minikarter
Rookie

minikarter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brookes Masters Dissertation.

Hello, I'm pretty new to this forum, but put simply, I'm a student studying Motorsport Engineering Msc at Oxford Brookes University, having already done a BEng in Mechanical Engineering at Swansea, looking for a project/dissertation title.

I've been here since September, and thankfully the money I'm spending being here is providing some good results on coursework! But now's the time to look around for a good title for my Dissertation.

I'm wondering if someone here could help? We've been suggested to look around and ask companies, but as always email after email provides no results, and sadly I don't know too many people in modern motorsport. If there were some good names of people I could contact that would be a bonus.

Primarily I want to base my project around Chassis Dynamics, Aerodynamics, and/or Race Engineering.

Hope I haven't bored anyone to death but hopefully someone here can help point me in a good direction?

Thankyou for your time!

Robin
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2794437)   #2
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about "Options for maximizing overtaking in Formula 1 by better management of chassis and aero dynamics"
Old 22 Nov 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2794465)   #3
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you only need a title or you need an idea on what job to do?

If you like vehicle dynamics you could work on some form of simulation...Maybe matlab? Or adams?

Or maybe you could try to ask a company for the possibility to optimize some aspects of one of their products (FEM, CFD etc).
Old 22 Nov 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2794472)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"the effects of Christian Horner's foot wobbling on race performance"

or more sensibly something to do with moveable aerodynamic appendages on overtaking,
Old 23 Nov 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2794741)   #5
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wrote my BSc Motorsport Technology dissertation on "Sustainability within the motorsport industry from an engineering management perspective" and then completely failed to include any engineering management theory.
Old 30 Nov 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2797801)   #6
minikarter
Rookie

minikarter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre View Post
I wrote my BSc Motorsport Technology dissertation on "Sustainability within the motorsport industry from an engineering management perspective" and then completely failed to include any engineering management theory.
How'd you manage that??? Sounds like an interesting title though.

As to the other replies, I like the idea of looking at Overtaking ideas, inparticularly as it seems increasingly obvious that F1 is aiming to be an entertainment rather than a competition for brand new technologies and pure racing.

I wonder if anyone even knows any teams personally who may be interested in proposing some titles? It seems increasingly difficult to get industry organisations to listen unless it's "who you know" and can namedrop someone they're alread familiar with, or use less general contact details.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2798089)   #7
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minikarter View Post
How'd you manage that??? Sounds like an interesting title though.
When i produced my title, it covered such a broad spectrum it would be impossible to ever complete the project. So i devised a series of aims and objectives laid out in my project introduction which focused the project almost entirely onto sustainable technologies which could be and are used in motorsport.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2800978)   #8
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I currently work in the Hybrid industry and I'm finding it fascinating the hybrid developments that have and are being show cased in the likes of F1 and the ALMS in order to sway the publics perception that hybrids do work and save fuel and are actually worth buying........I think you could potentially write a very interesting dissertation illustrating why different types of hybrids are suited to different types of motorsport, and how this is changing the publics perception of how they buy a car.

Or perhaps you may want to write about how down-sizing an engine in F1, WRC and the BTCC is showing the viewing public that a smaller more efficient and less polluting engine is a real acceptable substitute to the current options in both racing and the car sellers showrooms.