Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1809799)   #26
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyk
The Harrier......may have run the World Sportscar Cup races in 2000, but I can't recall.
It qualified for the Sportscar World Cup race at Donington in 2000, but then broke down on the pace lap!!! So technically it never took the start in a race.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1809922)   #27
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
There was rumors of a car called the Audi R9, of which one was built but never raced. From what I've heard about it, it was basically an R10 chassis using an R8 engine/gearbox.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 00:32 (Ref:1810072)   #28
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
The Mirage M12 will surely be an obvious one? Don't think it ever raced.

The Mirage M12 was raced in some IMSA rounds in 1983, possibly entered by Conte Racing
Old 9 Jan 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1810076)   #29
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Did the Mig ever race?
Vallelunga 6 Hours 1993, driven by Fulvio Ballabio and Henry Pescarolo...
Old 9 Jan 2007, 01:09 (Ref:1810084)   #30
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto
Vallelunga 6 Hours 1993, driven by Fulvio Ballabio and Henry Pescarolo...
Wow, Pesca drove the Mig thing? How did it do in the race?

I still remember the write up in On Track or Autoweek or whatever (age=memory loss...) that the Mig did one lap in test at LeMans and came back pouring steam and vapors out of every opening. Didn't sound like it had much future, and it didn't seem to have.

robert
Old 9 Jan 2007, 04:11 (Ref:1810114)   #31
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd suggest the BRM P351, but I know it ran at Le Mans for a few laps.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1810434)   #32
fausto
Veteran

Wales
The Mussato, introduced during the winter 1991/92, never raced in Gp.C/C2 form, probably seen later in a different "form", under a different name (GMS/Durango WSC/LMP)...
Old 9 Jan 2007, 17:25 (Ref:1810565)   #33
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Did the Mig ever race?
The MIG's chances where not helped by a switch from a Lamborghini V12 which at least was good enough to propel the car round the track and for it it to show some promise, to a Motori Moderni V12 for the race. This had an awful effect on the car and the chassis flexed so much the drivers where unable to select gears.

I seem to remember seeing somthing about Ford building a follow up to the C100, has any one else come across that. Zakspeed may have been involved.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1810586)   #34
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I seem to remember seeing somthing about Ford building a follow up to the C100, has any one else come across that. Zakspeed may have been involved.
Yes, it was the so-called Ford C001 (or 83C...), design by Tony Southgate, Gordon Spice as manager/driver, the car was tested with an atmospheric DFL (early 1983) and was supposed to be powered by a turbocharged version of the above mentioned engine. The project was shelved when Stuart Turner took command at Ford Motorsport, the chassis was used as the basis for Ford Supervan2....

http://www.sportscaruniverse.com/Spo...C1_Ford83C.htm
Old 9 Jan 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1810588)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
The Lambo Group C- was that the Tiga-chassised car backed by Unipart from 1986 or so? It raced once, with Tiff Needell at the end-of-season non-championship races that were held at Kyalami in the mid-80s.
I think this was the car that CC Motorsport planned to go Grp C with after the end of their BMW BTCC Group A programme?

Gordon Spice ended up running his own show but had been lnked to the project to begin with iirc.

Quote:
The Mussato, introduced during the winter 1991/92, never raced in Gp.C/C2 form, probably seen later in a different "form", under a different name (GMS/Durango WSC/LMP)...
Was that based on an old Lancia LC running gear by any chance?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
I remember the hullaballoo caused by this car - shame it never really got off the ground.

Quote:
The MIG's chances where not helped by a switch from a Lamborghini V12 which at least was good enough to propel the car round the track and for it it to show some promise, to a Motori Moderni V12 for the race. This had an awful effect on the car and the chassis flexed so much the drivers where unable to select gears.

I seem to remember seeing something about Ford building a follow up to the C100, has any one else come across that. Zakspeed may have been involved.
The motori engined thing must have been a right shed!.

You might be onto something about the Ford prospect there. I think it was a faor while after the demise of the C100 though, but plans were dashed once again after they got the exposure from the Sierra acorss the world in touring cars and Ford kept changing policy I suspect.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1810593)   #36
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

Quote:

Was that based on an old Lancia LC running gear by any chance?!!
No, however the chassis was the one Vern Schuppan had built (in carbonfibre) for his own 962 road/race projects
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:53 (Ref:1810904)   #37
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Wasn't Motori Moderni a Carlo Chiti enterprise? They also had a v6 (I think) dual turbo unit that was an F1 project that ended up in use in C2, right? I didn't know about a V12. What capacity?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 02:41 (Ref:1810926)   #38
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The Motori Moderni was a failed Flat-12 Formula 1 engine rebadged as a Subaru, used by Coloni for half of an F1 season before they dumped it for a normal V8. The engine was also apparently used in some super cars, including the Dome supercar whose name I can't remember.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 07:30 (Ref:1811005)   #39
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
.............The engine was also apparently used in some super cars, including the Dome supercar whose name I can't remember.
Jotto Caspita (Jotto is a Japanese brand of female underwear/lingerie :-)...)

The engine was also tried in the Alba(-Subaru) AR10 back in 1990 WSPC, the car failed to qualify until the engine was changed with a 4.5 liters Buick (possibly a V6)....

Last edited by fausto; 10 Jan 2007 at 07:33.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 08:28 (Ref:1811036)   #40
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The engine was also apparently used in some super cars, including the Dome supercar whose name I can't remember.
Supercar makers Koeniggsegg now own the rights to the old Motori Moderni/Subaru flat 12. They haven't used it in anything yet though, and it's unlikely that they will, now that they make their own blown V8.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1811043)   #41
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone
Supercar makers Koeniggsegg now own the rights to the old Motori Moderni/Subaru flat 12. They haven't used it in anything yet though, and it's unlikely that they will, now that they make their own blown V8.
Forgot about it...however the Subaru/MotoriModerni engine was used on the very first Koeniggsegg supercar (can't remember the name, sorry..), the one introduced to the press in 1996 (was seen at the Anderstorp round of BPR GT Championship, took the track with Rickard Rydell at the wheel).
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1811091)   #42
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Was it the same Motori Moderni seen smoking away in the first F1 Minardi?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1811102)   #43
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Was it the same Motori Moderni seen smoking away in the first F1 Minardi?
No, that car used the turbocharged 1500 cc, V6 engine...
Old 10 Jan 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1811156)   #44
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Oh, that thing. That was rubbish. Might have been useful as a paperweight. Then again the turbo wasn't much cop. Lego Technic would have been better.

Did the Piper GT ever race in period? That was a striking looking thing.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1811300)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Piper GT did race, although not very successfully, but I think that you may be referring to the GTR, which was indeed striking. 4 built altogether, two of which, fitted with Oldsmobile 3.5 V8s were entered for 1969 Le Mans. One turned up but was withdrawn because it just wasn't remotely race ready. The cars suffered, surprise, surprise, from lack of finance and development. Whether any of the 4 cars ever raced would be interesting to find out.

Another even earlier attempt was Reliant's Sabre Six, a one-off special version of which, was built for Le Mans in 1963 (I think!) but was refused an entry. I don't think it ever raced in contemporary times although did take to the hills with Bobby Parkes at the helm. Subsequently, it took to the tracks in Historic racing in the 1970s and proved to be surprisingly quick and competitive in the hands of Robin Rew.

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Jan 2007 at 12:24.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1811301)   #46
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Lyncar MS85 (Gp.C2):

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=1

http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...ghlight=lyncar
Old 10 Jan 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1811413)   #47
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Subsequently, it took to the tracks in Historic racing in the 1970s and proved to be surprisingly quick and competitive in the hands of Robin Rew.
Reliant Robin.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1811637)   #48
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think it entered the Donington round of the FIA sportscar series once, practiced but did not race as I recall, or am I on the wrong BRM?
Old 10 Jan 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1811684)   #49
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_500km_of_Silverstone

Qualified at Silverstone but apparently broke a fuel line in warmup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

Followed up by qualifying for Le Mans, but breaking after 20 laps, first car out of the race.

Never showed up again.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 20:39 (Ref:1811742)   #50
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
I think it entered the Donington round of the FIA sportscar series once, practiced but did not race as I recall, or am I on the wrong BRM?
Pretty much bang on.

The BRM at Donington in '97 was the BRM-Nissan 301, but I'm fairly certain it was the same chassis.

Glancing at TATS it didn't start due to electrics but hadn't disgraced itself in qualifying. It next showed up at Donington the following year, this time failing to qualify by a country mile.

There was quite a big splash on the BRM in a "Motor Sport" magazine from 1992 but perhaps predictably it's not even remotely to hand at the moment.